• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
HERMAN

Gti6 Vs Vts Knock Sensor

HERMAN

Hello I am just making up a engine loom for my GTI6 conversion. The engine and all its sensors are out of a 2003 vts. I am making the loom up and following the wiring diagram. The problem that I am having is the GTI6 drawing shows a 3 pin connection to the Knock Sensor. The Knock sensor on the engine is only 2 pin. Can sombody confrim that the GTI6 engine has a 3 pin Knock Sensor? If this is correct I will have to get a differant Sensor. Note I am not using the VTS ECU i have got a GTI6 ECU.

Does any body have the part number for this sensor?

Also am I corect in saying the the Knock sensor cable on the GTI6 is screened?

Thanks

Neil

HERMAN

I have also noticed that the MAP sensor is differant. Should I change this to a GTI6 one (junior power timer type plug) or has any body had experiance of using the VTS one? Does it work with the GTI6 ecu?

Right back out to the freezeing garage then.

Thanks

welshpug

you probably will need to swap most of the sensors over from a gti6 or a phase 1 xsara, the late xsara's are multiplexed and have different sensors as you have found out.

map sensors did change half way through the gti6, just a different plug, I don't know if the multiplex xsara had a different one again though.

knock and TDC sensors on the 306 are shielded cables yes :blink:

Edited by welshpug

HERMAN

Thanks for that Welshpug. I will cross refrence the MAP to the ones fitted to the new cars.

Cheers.

Alastairh

I have in my garage a Phase 2 and a Phase 1 VTS knock sensor so i can physically check the differences if you like.

Al

[L'e$kro]

I did exactly the same conversion and I can tell you that they are different: one is 2 pin and the other is 3

I also changed the map sensor (because I lost it) and the temp sensors/switches on the calorstat housing

Nicolas

HERMAN

Thanks for that I just about to order a new Knock sensor.

Thanks

Neil

welshpug

I wouldn't get a new one!

Plenty of pugs use the same or compatible 3 wire unit so you'll find hundreds in a scrapyard :)

HERMAN

Thanks Welshpug I have got one off Ebay £12 delivered. My local scrap yard is good but because of alot recent thefts (Albaians) they have put there prices up and they also search you on the way out. But good idea I like your style.

Cheers

Neil

sub205

the 2wire-sensors should have very little or no cable at all and the plug directly at the sensor.

the 3wire have cable, so it has to be shielded -> one pin is shield! ;-)

all are piezo-style "microphones", so interchanging them should be no problem.

the 2wire-loom has the shield in the thick black cable but doesn't expose it on a pin. can easily be adapted.

HERMAN

I was thinking this myself because the Autodata drawing shows it having a screen/sheild but the sensor on the engine has no cable attached to it. So there is no for need for the extra pin to carry on the screen. I have ordered one now but it was only £12 so I have a spare.

Thanks for your relpy as you have confirmed what I was thinking.

Neil