• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
qwertyuiop7

Help Me Find My Ecu Temp Sensor, Think I Know, But Best Check

qwertyuiop7

Swapping over a faulty (hopefully, as not sure whats wrong if its not) ECU temp sensor.

According to multiple posts on the forum i should find i down the back of the block on my 1992 1.9 non CAT.

So i have taken of the air filter box had a look and found 3 of them ??

Which one is it please. New part hasn't arrived yet so can't use that to match it up. My gut feeling is its the lower of the 3 the one with the blue plug. ie not the top 2 with red or black connector

If it is how the hell do you get it out

P1030761.jpg

while i'm here, what's the aluminium casting to the left of the sensors, the bit with the curved black hose going in to it. Part number 0280140182 cast into it??

Thanks

Phil

Edited by qwertyuiop7

davey205

yeah its the one at the very bottom i had a bit of a struggle to find it

welshpug

19mm spanner ot a very deep socket will get it off <_<

the part you asked about is the SAD, supplementary air device.

rallysteve
19mm spanner ot a very deep socket will get it off <_<

the part you asked about is the SAD, supplementary air device.

Definately the one with the blue plug. If you pull the plug whist wiggling it side to side it will come off, they are sometimes bit stiff. Mine was a 21mm from memory although cant remember to be honest. I would use a bit of PTFE (plumbers) tape on the new one when you re-fit to make sure you dont get any leaks.

Steve

qwertyuiop7

Thanks for help, might have a go tomorrow, the wife will be in then and she has much smaller hands than mine <_<

Phil

Edited by qwertyuiop7

DrSarty

And whilst we're here with that nice clear picture, the top 2 (spade connector ones) are for the temp warning switch and water temp gauge, going left to right.

It might be the other way round, but the switch is normally the larger of the 2. But when you plug them in it'll become apparent pretty quickly as the warning light will start to glow as the engine warms up and the temp gauge will do naff all*. In that case just swap them over.

*Right until the engine gets bloody hot then it'll shoot off the scale :)

pug_ham
And whilst we're here with that nice clear picture, the top 2 (spade connector ones) are for the temp warning switch and water temp gauge, going left to right.

It might be the other way round, but the switch is normally the larger of the 2. But when you plug them in it'll become apparent pretty quickly as the warning light will start to glow as the engine warms up and the temp gauge will do naff all*. In that case just swap them over.

*Right until the engine gets bloody hot then it'll shoot off the scale :)

They are in the right order there, as mentioned before the plug covers are colour coded to suit the applicable sensor, red to red & black to black (which an also be green).

Graham.

JayCC

If the stop warning light sometimes flickers/stays on but the temp guage is reading normal does it inidcate a faulty "black spade" sensor? (left)

Grim.Badger
If the stop warning light sometimes flickers/stays on but the temp guage is reading normal does it inidcate a faulty "black spade" sensor? (left)

Could be, but the STOP light also comes on with low oil pressure

Grim.Badger
Thanks for help, might have a go tomorrow, the wife will be in then and she has much smaller hands than mine :lol:

Phil

The plug is held on by a clip, the only way of 'wiggling' it off is to break one side of the plug imo.

You need to find a way of pulling the clip off first, then the plug will just slide off.

dcc

stop warning light also used to come on when cornering left hard, braking hard, randomly when it wanted to, when ignition was off, with no battery connected. could also be your handbrake or soemthing trivial

wellsyuk

Is the Ecu temp sensor the same on earlier models. Mine is on a late E plate phase 1.5 with the coil on the bulk head.

Cheers

welshpug

yup, they are all the same, as are the 1.9 MI16, 2.0 is a different sensor but has the same resistance values.

pug_ham
Is the Ecu temp sensor the same on earlier models. Mine is on a late E plate phase 1.5 with the coil on the bulk head.

Cheers

Yes, your sensor will be located in a seperate housing below the distributor.

g

Sign in to follow this