• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest pthelazyjourno

Rallye Question

Guest philipthelazyjournalist

Hey all.

Trying to decide whether to buy a UK Rallye or not - ideally I'd have liked an XS, as I had one a decade ago and it was a hoot. However, they all seem to be rotten at the moment, and there's no point in me waiting as it's an interim car while I save for something else.

Have found a Rallye in very good condition, and may well buy it. It's only going to be sticking around for 8 or 9 months, while I save up for an Elise, so ideally I don't want to spend too much money on it.

However, I WOULD like to fit an XS gearbox. If I can source one, would anybody on here be willing to help? What sort of price would I be looking at? Yes, I know, I should go out with a bag of spanners and do it myself (and no, I'm not willing to spend a grand fitting an XS engine), but the last time I tried something like that it took me three months and I could have earned £5k in the meantime, so paying somebody while I work is a better financial situation for me.

So I guess that's it - any idea of labour costs to get an XS gearbox fitted? Any offers to help would also be appreciated. The fact the TU3whatever engine weighs 20kg more is irrelevant before anybody tells me I should swap that as well, as I weigh 20kg less than most people!!

Thanks a lot for your time - going to look at the car on Saturday, but ideally I'd like to know where I stand before then, as there are also a couple of GTi's I have my eye on.

Taa

Philip