• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bazil_205gti

Gti6/s16 Loom (differences)

bazil_205gti

Hi there im new to 205gtidrivers :) i am currently building a supercharged 205 dimma, i am having an engine built,its a gti6 low compression bottom end with an mi16 head,i have had s16 cams fitted to give me the cam trigger, im a bit confused on what to use for the management, :lol: weather i am going to have to go for a aftermarket ecu and loom or if it will be possible to use either the s16 or gti6 loom? from speaking to Richard walker from lynx,with there gti6 supercharged engines they just have the standard gti6 ecu remapped, so what im thinking is could i still use the gti6 loom and ecu or even the s16 loom and ecu? really wish i had just gone for a complete gti6 but was told the mi16 is a better head? any help would be great.

matt

welshpug

if you have no ecus or looms at the moment I'd be inclined to go for an Aftermarket ECU like Omex, DTA, Emerald or suchlike, there's plenty of good mappers out there that can deal with these, a quick search will tell you quite a bit about choosing the right one for you, with the cost of sourcing the ecu's and mapping as you have nothing to start from I think its the cheapest option.

unfortunately with the Magnetti and Bosch O.E systems the only reputable mapper I know of is oop north, Wayne Schofield at Chipwizards, whereas I'd bet there are a few mappers than can map the other systems a fair bit closer to you.

pug_ham

Mei, tbh Wayne isn't that far away from Hitchin (~200 miles each way) but I agree, there are far more options with a different aftermarket ecu much closer than that.

Both the GTI-6 (Marelli 1AP) & S16 (MP3.2) ecu can be remapped but it sounds from you build spec that the GTI-6 loom & ecu will be easiest as there is already a chip close to your engine spec available but even then it would be best taking to Wayne for a proper look over to check & adjust anything as needed.

Graham.

Sloppy

looms are very similare if its a 2.0 mi16 only difference i can think of is ignition amps which are really part of loom and the mi16 take map literally into ecu on a vacume.

bazil_205gti

Thanks for your replies think gonna take your advice and go for an aftermarket ecu like omex. just bit worried bout when i first start the car as the engines new will i be able to just run it on a base map?

DrSarty
Thanks for your replies think gonna take your advice and go for an aftermarket ecu like omex. just bit worried bout when i first start the car as the engines new will i be able to just run it on a base map?

Yes you can. We all have to prior to the proper mapping session.

You spec your engine to Omex or Emerald etc and they preload a base map. It'll likely be rich, as rich is safer than lean.

It'll be OK.