• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainP

Glovebox Lock Removal

CaptainP

Bought a new lock set and it arrived this morning. Ignition barrel went on fine but I'm having trouble with the glove box lock. How do I remove it so that I can fit the new locking barrel?

post-8703-1266065287_thumb.jpg

pug_ham

You should be able to see the two small clips which hold it into the glove box lid from the inside but I can't make them out in your pic.

IIRC they are just underneath the notch at the top in your pic.

Push these inwards & it ought to unclip from the lid.

Graham.

lagonda

My CTi has the same lock. The new lock set I bought included a barrel for the glovebox, but there was no way it would fit. IF your original lock is the same as mine, you will find the barrel is integral & impossible to replace. Also, regarding Graham's comment....I tried all ways up to release the lock assembly, & could see the clips he's referring to....but no amount of fiddling would release it...and I'm usually pretty good at getting things apart.

I would also add that, from what I could see, the internal parts were larger than the hole they would need to emerge from. I concluded the glovebox lid is 2 plastic pieces bonded together, and they assembled the lock before bonding the halves!

Did manage to release the outer knob/barrel surround and remove the barrel....but then all the pins & springs come out...and NOTE! as I found out, there is no way of reassembling it, other than breaking (literally) everything open. In the end I removed all the pins & springs, so at least it still locks/unlocks, but of course any key will fit.

CaptainP

Thanks Graham, I did have a poke & prod with a screwdriver in that general area but I couldn't find the clips. I've taken the glovebox out the car now for closer inspection but still can't see the clips.

Lagonda I think you could be right about the integral locking mechanism. When I popped the knob & spring off the front panel of the glovebox I was met with pins that fell into my hand. Looking at the actual plastic but that was left I find it impossible to fit a new barrel into it. I'm now wondering if there are infact 2 seperate locking mechanisms fitted to a 205, although service box only lists the one.

Has anyone else removed a lock from a glovebox?

Simes
Thanks Graham, I did have a poke & prod with a screwdriver in that general area but I couldn't find the clips. I've taken the glovebox out the car now for closer inspection but still can't see the clips.

Lagonda I think you could be right about the integral locking mechanism. When I popped the knob & spring off the front panel of the glovebox I was met with pins that fell into my hand. Looking at the actual plastic but that was left I find it impossible to fit a new barrel into it. I'm now wondering if there are infact 2 seperate locking mechanisms fitted to a 205, although service box only lists the one.

Has anyone else removed a lock from a glovebox?

I spent hours with a 'scrap' glovebox lid trying to remove the lock. I like Lagonda am pretty good at taking things apart and I had no success whatsoever.

:angry:

CaptainP

Okay, so I'm thinking that these types of locks aren't swappable. As a test today I checked on my dad's D-turbo and he has the same lock as me. What model would have a lock that you can swap the barrel on?

pug_ham

Well, it turns out that the lock can be stripped down & the barrel removed.

The tabs which hold the lock into the glove box;

p1020206u.th.jpg

Then with the lock off the car there are another two tabs that hold the knob to the lock body;

p1020209k.th.jpg

There is also a small sliding tab which also locks the barrel into the body;

p1020210d.th.jpg

Leaving you with this;

p1020208i.th.jpg

Now its apart I'll try to get it back together & hope it still works.

Graham.

CaptainP

Thanks Graham, I've got mine to that stage now also. However the supplied barrel will not fit inside the plastic part of the lock. The barrel seems like a completely different animal to what came out. I would say after looking at it, that there's 2 different locks used in 205 gloveboxs.

post-8703-1266429947_thumb.jpg

post-8703-1266429970_thumb.jpg

pug_ham

Thats odd, I've never seen a different sized glovebox lock on any of the lockable 205 glovebox latches, even the 306 uses the same one. :rolleyes:

Have you noticed the six small barrekl pins inside which stop it going back together easily yet? (careful you don't loose them btw).

Graham.

CaptainP

Yea those little pins greeted me when I pulled that spring loaded knob off from the front, I did keep them all. Today I visited the scrappy and experimented with a few locks, all of them were the "NEIMAN" type. This has become a bit of an annoyance now as I'd like to get to the bottom of it. On Valeo's site if you search on lock sets you get the one I purchased "256596" and it should be the correct one for my car, the barrel in the pic is the same one that came in my kit - which as we've found out from above is the wrong one. Interestingly on service box they only list one type for a right hand car, but a left hander brings up a different lock. I think I may just have to admit defeat on this one, or keep searching until I find a glove box that has the different type of lock....... grrr.

post-8703-1266515291_thumb.jpg

post-8703-1266515349_thumb.jpg

lemmingzappa

I know someone on here managed to replace their lock with a knob that is keyless (doesn't lock at all). It was from a base model apparently, but I can't seem to find one anywhere !

pug_ham
I know someone on here managed to replace their lock with a knob that is keyless (doesn't lock at all). It was from a base model apparently, but I can't seem to find one anywhere !

Yeah, I've done that before & had one spare but I'll be using that one in my GTI until I get this one back together & working properly (its still in bits due to lack of time) but I'll still keep it spare.

They are fairly hard to come by but you need to find a low spec phase 1.5 or 2 with a glove box (obviously) to hopefully find them.

I use to have a couple spare but hacve sold them to people who were after them after the original lock decided to lock its self & they either didn't have the key or it wouldn't work.

Graham.