• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ilovemypug

What Would Have To Be Done To A 1.4 Or 1.6 Tu -> 1.9 Tu?

ilovemypug

ahoy there maties.. what could i do to a 1.4 tu3s to become a 1.9? would it be worth it? or is there way to much work envolved? i would like to turn my 1.4xs into a sleeper :)

Daviewonder

I suppose it could be done but you'd probably need to replace the block, crank, pistons,rods etc. I know a company does an 1800 stroker kit for the saxos and 106's but cant remember their name atm :)

probably best to start with a 106 gti engine and go from there.

Edited by Daviewonder

Toilet Duck

Get a good reliable estimate on the engine work, and the price of a 1.9 XU engine, it may be a lot cheaper, and involve less work to do an engine swap.

Or what about getting hold of a scrap 1.9 GTi, and transplanting all the GTi goodies into your existing car like: engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes, clocks etc, leaving your car looking standard?

burr_2000

its not worth it personally,time and cost wise, you can pick up reasonable priced GTIs.

Steffrallye

vtr block, or 1.6 106 block, and if you can afford it a stroker kit to make it 1.8, £2500 alone for the stroker kit, then if possible a bore?

not worth it really lol, but would be great if you had the money to throw at it

vtr block, or 1.6 106 block, and if you can afford it a stroker kit to make it 1.8, £2500 alone for the stroker kit, then if possible a bore?

not worth it really lol, but would be great if you had the money to throw at it

TT205
its not worth it personally,time and cost wise, you can pick up reasonable priced GTIs.

Maybe in the UK - maybe not in Portugal

burr_2000
Maybe in the UK - maybe not in Portugal

im sure theres still at least engines (106 gti, saxo vts, xu 1.9s). i just cant see the benefits of spending loads of money on a 8v TU engine to make it a 1900 CC. Its madness i tell ya.... madness ;) (unless you specifically have to keep it within a racing regulation)

ilovemypug

hum.. well gti´s over here are well over priced... and i wanted to keep it as sleeper as possible.. hence the Tu engine, plus i wouldnt want to have to run ecu´s and stuff of the sort.. just nice and simple..

ilovemypug

well thanks for the reply´s any way =P

dcc

I am sure that CITUNING offer a stroker kit or pre built engines arround 1820 cc iirc. they are by no means cheap though. from what i have been told, 1800 tu lump + cams + turbo + ecu+ fitting + mapping ~ £12k

Batfink

The stroker kit is the way forward really. It comes with a billet crank, forged rods and pistons and can be bought off the shelf as a low compression version for turbos.

I very much doubt you would need to spend 12k on the whole conversion but you will be 6-7 by the end of it I imagine.

I have had a few enquiries about this conversion from portugal!

Kev

welshpug

I'd imagine if its anything like many tuned TU's that it'll give a very nice fat torque band, I don't know of any TU's out there that are running anything more than your usual overbore though have heard of the 1800cc ideas.

burr_2000

Nice kit.

He still needs to source a base 16v engine though. i think he was just wanting to know if his 8v engine could achieve close to 1900cc, cost aside i would be very interested to see how a TU 8V head would perform.

Batfink

theres an 8v one too..

Batfink

all I see is a lot of speculation on that thread. I dont see why people should snub the 8v. Not everyone wants 16v engines. They are not as nice handling in my opinion. Obviously looking at the induction is important and its a good idea to plan a budget so you do not go overboard. I'd love to see a turboed one go though!

Sandy

I think you'll struggle to take much advantage from the extra capacity in an atmo engine, some of the 1630-1650 engine's pretty much top out the flow potential of the heads, more capacity can bring more flexiblity, but probably not much power and the pistons speed and thrust angles with that stroke/rod will impact durability. It would make more snese with a boosted engine.

When you have the much greater potential the XU offers for the same money, let alone the gearbox issues, it doesn't make sense to me.

ilovemypug

ok ok i guess i have managed to creat some ripples heheh

just wanted to know what was envolved realy..

cheers

Batfink

nothing wrong with discussion. Theres a lot of clever people on this site who are worth listening to.

It may be more cost effective to buy an XU engine here and ship it over though...

ilovemypug

so i guess turboing my engine would be more cost effective?