• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
easypug

[engine_work] My Daily Driver

easypug

I brought this 205 off Anthony on here after wanting to get back into a 205 GTi as a daily driver. I'd had a few different cars inbetween which I never really settled with and was craving another 205 gti. I've always believed non sunroof's are a lot nicer to look at as the big full length sun roofs look horrible IMO. Any who i'll let the pictures do the talking for now.

As I got it.

th_IMG_8018.jpg

Standard 1.6

th_IMG_1777.jpg

OK, More recently I've brought a Turbo Technics engine complete from a guy in Isle of Wight. He got the complete car on the scrapage scheme and didn't even realise what he had untill it was mentioned to him by a friend. As such the engine was advertised on ebay for £400 OBO. I offered £350 and won the auction :) The total sum I paid in the end was £450 which got me the following:

Complete 205 TT engine with intercooler etc...

Gearbox with Quaife LSD

Full SS Exhaust

4 x Gutmann wheels (15x7)

Now he said when I brought it that engine is a runner. I'm in the process of putting the engine in now which should be complete tomorrow (10th Feb) so we shall soon find out. The wheels need a refurb but when they are done I think they'll look fantastic.

I've got a few more things to go on the car which will be done in good time. These include:

Gaz GHA coilovers

6 rear dampers

Phase 2 interior, grey carpet etc...

Thats all for now, should have an update tomorrow for you all.

A few random pictures of parts:

th_BhU9dGwBmkKGrHqQOKiIErzIvtI10BLIom2.jpgth_GetAttachment.jpgth_GetAttachment1.jpg

Anthony

Bargain for the TT engine and other parts :)

Be good to see the old girl with a bit more poke - it was certainly a good tidy car and an ideal candidate for the transplant

Baz

NNO!! Should mke an awesome little weapon once TT'd! :)

j_turnell

Looks really tidy Dave! Hope the TT lump is a good'un, everyone i've seen has been buggered! Wheels should look good when refurbed :) :)

easypug
Looks really tidy Dave! Hope the TT lump is a good'un, everyone i've seen has been buggered! Wheels should look good when refurbed :ph34r::D

Doh, there had to be a downer. I found out the reason the car went in on the scrapage scheme, head gasket. Luckily I had a hunch before I put the engine in (usual signs, didn't think to check as I was told it was fine), I wanted to make sure so took the head off and here was the result. Shame I had already took the old engine out, oh well good practice and all that! It's now back in so the car can be moved under its own steam.

th_P2100343.jpg

With this in mind I thought I'd check to see the diff was what I was told it was. RESULT :D Excuse the snow...

th_P2100344.jpg

On the plus side the interior went in with the help from my darling fiance, in fact she pretty much cracks on while I do mechanical things :D. I won't be using the car for a few weeks yet so not to worried about the lack of windows. Will be on the lookout for some electric windows to go in along with central locking. Also will be on the hunt for all the remaining black interior parts.

th_P2100345.jpgth_P2100346.jpg

On the engine front I plan on rebuilding the current one using a 205 Parts manifold and possibly a XU10 head. To cheer myself up slightly with the head gasket news I brought a Emerald K3 for it which will go in with the rebuilt engine. I'll also be looking at upgrading the turbo at the same time, either GT25R or similar.

Also thoguht I'd show what the wheels look like on the car, minus engine so sitting quite high. Will be fixed when the coilovers are on and engine back in of course. They stick out a fair amount on the front but sit very nicely on the rear. It is still running 1.6 hubs so a change to 1.9 hubs or base model version should bring then in slightly.

th_P2100340.jpg

Anthony

I personally don't think the wheels suit it at all - I like some of the other Gutmann designs, but those just don't look right to me :ph34r:

Shame about the engine, but if it is just a headgasket then that's simple enough to sort - if you reuse the original head, take the opportunity whilst it's getting skimmed to get the valves/seats recut, guides checked (exhausts in particular), stem seals and reshim the head as needed.

Interior is looking good though - I won't recognise the car by the time you've finished!

easypug
I personally don't think the wheels suit it at all - I like some of the other Gutmann designs, but those just don't look right to me :ph34r:

Shame about the engine, but if it is just a headgasket then that's simple enough to sort - if you reuse the original head, take the opportunity whilst it's getting skimmed to get the valves/seats recut, guides checked (exhausts in particular), stem seals and reshim the head as needed.

Interior is looking good though - I won't recognise the car by the time you've finished!

I have to say when I first tried the wheels on I wasn't to sure, but since I've really started to like them. Once they have been refurbished I'll make a final decision but at the moment I'm going to keep them on.

I did think about just doing the headgasket and carrying on but I didn't want it for then to have other unforeseen problems 100 miles down the line so think a full rebuild is the best option. Not quite what I would have planned but oh well. I'm not sure where to go for skimming as the local place I used to use has closed down. All the above is on my "new" list of things to do when I get back :D. I think this might take a back burner when I return as I'll be looking to complete the Maxi. The hope was that the TT engine would last at least a few months untill I sorted out a refreshed motor for it. Any who, I'm sure it will all come together in time. I've got my N/A XU lump to throw money at too (hmm to many projects again).

Anthony

You could always just pickup a cheap low-comp XU9J1 engine and chuck the TT kit on that for the time being?

easypug

Thats not a bad idea, might keep an eye out for one.

j_turnell

Its never straight forward is it! Have to say i agree with Ant on the wheels, im not so sure now there on. I know a car they would look ace on though, the REAL Gutman that resides at 205parts!

DamirGTI

Don't fancy neither of these Gutmann ones to be honest :) :

51191153a6575d3458dee3b972aa2ef6c72e090.jpg

OE Speedline's are spot on :)

Damir

easypug

I had a little look over the engine today which lead me to discover this:

th_IMAG0080.jpg

I'll mainly be on the look out for a new head, I've got a feeling I should look over the bottom end first though just in case.

easypug

th_IMAG0081.jpg

Another one.

jackherer

The pics aren't working, says they have been moved or deleted.

Tom Fenton

They are working OK for me, and show a nicely cracked head from exh valve to plug hole :lol:

Alastairh

Ouch :lol:

spark-plug

Hi ther i know this isent the right topic but it wont let me pm u for some reason anyhow '205 turbo' said that uve got some TBS for sale? how mutch u looking and can i have some pics thx Dan

Pugrich

Good luck for finding some engineparts!

I`ve also got 9 pieces of Gutmann rims over the last years, but they`re in really bad condition! Don`t know how to refurb them to get the original style in a good quality?!

img1793r.jpg

By peugrich, shot with Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL at 2009-09-03

Richard

205turbo

i said new gaz coilovers lol

Edited by 205turbo

easypug

Slight change of plan, I have brought this. Some of the older members may recognise this car :D. I'm pretty much going to be reshelling it in to my red one. Look in for progress over the next few days.

th_IMAG0088.jpgth_IMAG0089.jpgth_IMAG0090.jpg

All Praise The GTI

2 tt lumps. Gready!! :wub: lol

easypug

Striped the doner car down today, didn't take too long. Got a few pictures of all the rust for any one wondering why this car was broken.

Striping

th_IMAG0098.jpgth_IMAG0101.jpgth_IMAG0107.jpg

th_IMAG0110.jpgth_IMAG0117.jpg

Rusty :(

th_IMAG0097.jpgth_IMAG0105.jpgth_IMAG0108.jpg

th_IMAG0104.jpg

The pictures I took was only the half of the rust, it would have needed quite a bit more on top of that.

MrG

ah that explains it, I did wonder why the car was being broken as it looked fine.

205turbo

who has the video of Savaloy and SteveC at the south meet as it would be a fitting tribute to the old girl :)