• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
decoc182

Gti6 Management Spark Only

decoc182

Hi guys, im finally piecing my xu7jp4-rs together and getting it fitted into my 205xr. I have noticed that I will be missing a lot of the relays and additional sensors to run the fuel injection side of thing using the Magnetti Marelli 1ap , as well as missing a throttle body from my '6 inlet manifold.

I now have a spare set of bike carbs that were used on a vw kr 1.8 16v engine, along with a bogg brothers inlet now.

This may sound like a bodge to a lot of you, but what sensors are required just to run ignition only on the Magnetti Marelli 1ap ? I did a similar installation on KR a while back, where we bypassed the fuel injection loom, and just ran the ignition components only along with the ecu.

Would this be possible for Magnetti Marelli 1ap?

From a first guess, the sensors would be :-

crank position (would a bosch 106 xsi crank sensor work..fits the gearbox well enough :rolleyes: )

cam position

MAP

TPS

welshpug

you'll get less than ideal ignition timing from that, though it can be mappe to suit by Wayne Schofiled at Chipwizards, though I guess what with bodging it onto carbs really isn't in the spirit of spending nearly £400 getting the ECU mapped to run it as well as it could!

BUT, if you are going to get it mapped to work you might as well get some bike bodies because it can be altered to run with TPS based load sites rather than MAP based as the ECU is currently.

the 106 crank sensor should work as long as its the same 3 pin type the XU uses and it bolts to the BE gearbox with the correct clearance to the flywheel, check the part number and see if it cross references to an XU engine with a BE box :rolleyes:

Anthony

Just a thought - for the price you'd be able to sell the GTi-6 ECU and loom for, you could easily buy a Megajolt or possibly pick up a used ignition only ECU from Omex etc? I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but in my mind, it's a far better route to go down and will ultimately give you better results - might cost you a bit more in the long run when it's mapped, but even with a half decent base map, it should work well "out of the box"

decoc182

Thanks welshpug, im 99% sure its a two pin type, so wont work then.

Anthony, i think a MJ or omex solution would be the best bet then. Thanks for the help guys again :rolleyes:

sideways danny

there's a lumenition ignition ECU in ebay, nothing flash but reasonable for ignition control and a s*itload better than megajolt. It's a GEMS based ECU same as many other good systems (Omex, AEM, HKS/Rallyart)