• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pacmannewry

A Few Inside Niggles

pacmannewry

I just bought my 205 last week without MOT or Tax and it's due in the garage tomorrow for MOT prep. I have been trying out different things inside and have come across a number of problems which I hope somone can help me get to the bottom of (I have a 1989 1.6 which ahs the 1.9 engine installed):

Air heating system - blowing mildly warm air only and not very hard so I'm having problems demisting the windscreen. I found a topic in the 2008 archives pointing me at bleeding the system so I'm going to try disconnecting and flushing pipes this weekend and rebleeding.

Coolant and oil temperature gauges on my dashboard are not working at all even when engine is warm - is this related to the above or is there someting else I need to investigate? (all fuses are intact).

Rear Demister - also not working and there are no obvious signs of breakages in the heating element. Any ideas as to what else to look for?

Thanks in advance.

Paddy

andyjstone
Air heating system - blowing mildly warm air only and not very hard so I'm having problems demisting the windscreen. I found a topic in the 2008 archives pointing me at bleeding the system so I'm going to try disconnecting and flushing pipes this weekend and rebleeding.

Definitely try bleeding the system and check the water levels. If it's not blowing very hard you could check the fan speed control on the dash or it's a knackered fan.

Coolant and oil temperature gauges on my dashboard are not working at all even when engine is warm - is this related to the above or is there someting else I need to investigate? (all fuses are intact).

You need to check that the cables are still plugged on the sensors - I'm assuming it still has the original 1.6/1.9 8V engine, if it's been upgraded to MI16/GTI6 it could be someone hasn't modified the loom to fit. Then it could be faulty sensors, but probably more likely knackered gauges, there are usually a few replacement binnacles on Fleebay.

Rear Demister - also not working and there are no obvious signs of breakages in the heating element. Any ideas as to what else to look for?

Depends on how good you are at fault finding - you really need a multimeter or at least something to sense voltage being present and test the cables back i.e. from screen to switch to fuse box.

Generally on these type of questions it would help to know more about the spec. i.e. engine type and whether phase 1/1.5/2

pacmannewry

Thanks for the replies Andy.

Unfortunately, I'm not a mechanic so how do I determine which engine/spec it is?

I also have a new problem as of a 1/2 hour ago. The starter motor appears to have gone on me as I'm just getting a clicking sound when I turn the key. Is it true that a 306 starter (albeit smaller in size) will fit? Or are there other alternatives (I have searched a few threads in here and have heard mention of citroen starters also)? Do I need a specific starter to be compatible with the 1.9 engine?

It looks like an early trip to the breakers in the morning. :wacko:

Cheers in advance.

pacmannewry

Unfortunately, I'm not a mechanic so how do I determine which engine/spec it is?

I also have a new problem as of a 1/2 hour ago. The starter motor appears to have gone on me as I'm just getting a clicking sound when I turn the key. Is it true that a 306 starter (albeit smaller in size) will fit? Or are there other alternatives (I have searched a few threads in here and have heard mention of citroen starters also)? Do I need a specific starter to be compatible with the 1.9 engine?

It looks like an early trip to the breakers in the morning. :wacko:

Cheers in advance.

Actually, I've read a few more threads now and I wonder could I be having problems with my brown multiplug given the problems with the binnacle gauges? Where is the multiplug located - behind the glovebox or on the drivers side?

chrisj21

With regards to the oil and temp gauges, Most likely broken or eroded wiring or as you say the brown multiplug.

The multiplug sits above the gearbox in the engine bay.

The oil temp sensor is located on the rear of the sump, check if there is a wire coming from it, if there is it could be coroded, snip back the wire abit and crimp a new terminal in place and see if that helps. If there is no wire you need to wire a new one in, Haynes manual will help with identifying the wire /terminal at the brown multiplug. I replaced my wire as my old one was broken and coroded.

With the water temp, it could be a few things. Again no wire or a faulty sensor. The sensor is located on the back of the water distribtion block, again check for a wire first then work from there.

If no luck with the wires then it could be a coroded brown multiplug as you mention. There is a detailed thread on replacing it on here.

With the engine having been changed it could be as simple as they have not been plugged back in.

harley

Does it actually blow by itself? I guess you can't tell by driving if it's not on the road but when I bought mine the heater blower wasn't blowing and it was just a case of the faster you go the more air you got through the vents. (a nightmare with all this snow!)

Was a really easy fix for me, just had to replace the heater rheostat. this can be found under the passenger side of the dash, next to the back of the centre console and has a white multiplug. Just a couple of screws and it pops out.

Worth plugging the white plug into a know working one if you can, saves you finding yourself one before you know it will definitely fix the problem.

Think this is a pretty common problem too.

Edited by harley

miamichris

It looks like an early trip to the breakers in the morning. :ph34r:

Cheers in advance.

Read the engine code, its on a little tab rivetted on the top of the engine block mate. This will tell you whether its 1.6 or 1.9, there are other ways of telling too. Just remembered yours has been converted to 1.9, but i'd check the code anyway just to make sure it actually is a 1.9! :lol:

As regards the starter problem, check your gearbox earth hasn't come loose, had this happen to me before. Follow one of the thick earth wires from the battery negative, there's one going to the gearbox, held on with a nut and washer.

If this doesn't fix it, the easiest thing is to head to the scrapyard and find another one off another xu engine, for example a 306, 406 etc.

Edited by miamichris

pacmannewry

Cheers for all of the above guys - it looks like being a long two weeks as it came back with a host of small bits to be done after the mechanic gave it the MOT once-over - principally almost a whole exhaust (minus the shiny back box) and possibly an exhaust manifold plus quite a few cut wires from the previous engine that don't appear to have been reconnected to the new one.

Will keep you posted and thanks for the advice so far.