• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danny56712

205 1.6 Automatic Information Needed

danny56712

havce any of ye heard of a 205 1.6 automatic and if so what sort subframe and engine etc

Edited by Anthony
Changed title to something meaningful

j_turnell

Yup, 1.6 8v xu lump on a weber carb, has basemodel suspension and subframe.

Baz

Hi.

Ingenius topic title. :ph34r:

j_turnell

You could always try answering the question Baz....

Alastairh

Agreed. Hence toddydals thread!

pug_ham
Yup, 1.6 8v xu lump on a weber carb, has basemodel suspension and subframe.

As above but also with a single point 1.6 XU engine & cat in later years.

Graham.

Cameron

Danny, what Baz means in slightly more friendly words is you need to be more descriptive with your topic titles. I doubt anyone flicking through this forum read your title and thought, yes! I have heard of a 1.6 GTI Automatic! I must reply! "1.6 GTI Automatic?" or "Did they make an auto 1.6 GTI" or something would have been much better. :wacko:

Edited by Cameron

welshpug

I have seen a few of these over the years, they tended to be quite basic spec wise from brief glances.

The airbox used on these cars is the reason why the "automatic" bonnet was created, Ironically the bulge they have is in the wrong place for most of the people that fit them in the aim to get more clearance :wacko:

pug_ham
The airbox used on these cars is the reason why the "automatic" bonnet was created

Only on the versions with a carb, those with injection don't need the bulge.

Graham.

danny56712
Only on the versions with a carb, those with injection don't need the bulge.

Graham.

lads indeed my topic title is very stupid and sorry about that but i hate forums full of smart comments also they are not needed here as it is an extremely good forum iv noticed

Baz
You could always try answering the question Baz....

Technically, i did;

Hi.

Agreed. Hence toddydals thread!

:lol: Bollocks. It's nothing like it at all, i wasn't rude and he's not really a newbie. Don't start! :)

Danny don't take it to heart mate it was a light hearted comment in jest, meant to be taken as advice not a dig mate! As Cameron suggests what i meant was that you're more likely to get more/better replies if the title has something relating to the content/question you're asking. :)

Edited by Baz

danny56712
lads indeed my topic title is very stupid and sorry about that but i hate forums full of smart comments also they are not needed here as it is an extremely good forum iv noticed

also do any of ye know what gearbox the auto is designed on like what sort drive shafts are they be fitting or what... cheers guys

danny56712

i dont take offence baz but think most car forums online are full of fools sending pointless smart comments to raise their post counts and there is no need for it

Baz

Whether or not you mean me, i disagree with that about here, but then you can think what you like, as can anyone. You don't have to stick around here if you don't like it though do you.

Also above you've made a pretty stupid point about people making smart/pointless comments to massage post-count, when in effect just doing the very same yourself.

Sorry i can't help you on the gearbox front, not because i now don't want to, but because i don't know much about them. Although tbh i'd presume the box, using an XU engine is the same if not similar to BE gearboxes, therefore using the same shafts as any other XU/BE 205.?

Anthony

Changed the title to something meaningful :lol:

johno_78

As the original question had been answered, i found Baz's comment amusing not offensive. I had actually ignored the topic until the title change or i would have answered sooner.

Anyway, the auto is designed around the BE box, i have fitted both 1.6 Gti and 1.9 Gti shafts to a standard 1.6 auto box.

The car's spec is pitched halfway between base model and 1.6gti, as it runs base model suspension but uses gti shafts and brakes IIRC.

steve@cornwall
As the original question had been answered, i found Baz's comment amusing not offensive. I had actually ignored the topic until the title change or i would have answered sooner.

Anyway, the auto is designed around the BE box, i have fitted both 1.6 Gti and 1.9 Gti shafts to a standard 1.6 auto box.

The car's spec is pitched halfway between base model and 1.6gti, as it runs base model suspension but uses gti shafts and brakes IIRC.

The 5 door one I had briefly had base suspension and hubs / brakes and 1.6 GTi type shafts (poss same as diesel? I've not taken a diesel apart). It was also a decent spec with central locking, electric windows, PAS and a full GTi style dash with tacho.

danny56712
Whether or not you mean me, i disagree with that about here, but then you can think what you like, as can anyone. You don't have to stick around here if you don't like it though do you.

Also above you've made a pretty stupid point about people making smart/pointless comments to massage post-count, when in effect just doing the very same yourself.

Sorry i can't help you on the gearbox front, not because i now don't want to, but because i don't know much about them. Although tbh i'd presume the box, using an XU engine is the same if not similar to BE gearboxes, therefore using the same shafts as any other XU/BE 205.?

No baz sorry for picking me up wrong here i was not referring to you in any way here but am a member of a lot of vag sites and see they can be pathetic with stupid comments im simply saying this one doesn have them and i really like it..

can anyone else confirm about hubs and brakes please?

Does anyone know if there is much difference between actual shells besides holes in body for trim

j_turnell
can anyone else confirm about hubs and brakes please?

Does anyone know if there is much difference between actual shells besides holes in body for trim

Standard basemodel hubs and brakes with non vented disks AFAIK. The rear arches are a completely different shape to a gti so would need cutting and welding, they are flat at the top, whereas gti arches are round, otherwise the basic shell is the same i think.

danny56712
Standard basemodel hubs and brakes with non vented disks AFAIK. The rear arches are a completely different shape to a gti so would need cutting and welding, they are flat at the top, whereas gti arches are round, otherwise the basic shell is the same i think.

more info on this would be wonderful im thinking turning auto one into a show piece gti as body is pristine but dont like sounds of these back arches

pug_ham

All the above is correct, the arches are a pain to modify, front is easy if you don't mind replacing the wings with new ones (or s/h if you can get them off without damage) but rear arches are much more involved to make suit.

Graham.

danny56712

ya i let that auto go anyway lads plus sold my 205 gti shell and now shell less but has to be an irish registered shell. looking at another basemodel now, not sure

pug_ham

Base model shell will still have the same issues with arches for a GTI as the auto you got rid of.

Graham.

danny56712
Base model shell will still have the same issues with arches for a GTI as the auto you got rid of.

Graham.

yes i realise this but thinking now once i get a shell which is proper rust free around sills and inside quarter panel etc and non sunroof ill buy it and will be very long term project as money is tight ill prob just keep it stored in garage and keep gathering parts for the moment. getting zx trailing arms tomorrow for a 309 beam i have which i will rebuild fully and paint etc and get group a mounting kit. just want each part perfect before doing my dream project. Also may be in wrong place to say this but like iv done huge research into engines and all have their advantages but very undecided. Im running an mi in a rally car now and quite like it though