• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

306 1.9 Td Lucas To Bosch Pump?

Rob Turbo

I bought a '98 306 1.9 TD Estate late last year with the intention of putting my 3.0 v6 in and having a sleeper, but things have changed a bit (I now have a son and I'm looking to buy my first house :( ). Its got just under 150k miles, kicks a big cloud of smoke out when it's first started, lacks power and only gives 50-60 miles to £10 of diesel. The shell is spot on but the engine seems rather neglected, god knows when it was last serviced, the aux belt is half the thickness it should be, it seems to have cut itself in half!!

Anyhoo, I'm going to give it a service, chuck some engine flush in to see if it's going to spring any leaks before I go any further, all going well I'll be changing the timing belt and I fancy upping the boost a bit, but it's got a lucas pump, so now onto the point of this post, would it be worth the extra work (and cost of the pump) to swap to a bosch pump while I'm on with the belt change, for slightly easier tuning and the ability to run the car on veg oil?

Obviously if it starts chucking out more smoke and springs a couple of leaks once I've had the engine flush through it then this post will be pointless, I'll just consider it a sign and drop the v6 in!

welshpug

how many £ per litre is that tenner worth? I really do hate it when people say that as its the most inaccurate way of measuring it!

throwing smoke out on startup is most often tired heater plugs, then secondly probably needs a new set of injectors, these aren't prohibitively expensive from GSF et al and are actually recommended to be refurbished every 60k, so with yours being at 150k isn't not surprising they may not be atomising the fuel as efficiently as they could do.

as for the change to a bosch pump I would only do it if there's a fault with the Lucas or you find a bosch replacement cheap and are going to be fitting a new belt and water pump at the same time, the veg aspect is another worth considering though, I have no experience of this however.

Upping the fulling is simple enough on the lucas pump, just more time consuming than the bosch unit, do get a boost gauge if you plan on tinkering.

I wouldn't bother with the engine flush, just get it nice and warm dump the oil and let it drain for a bit and fill it with decent quality oil, this has worked for my mum's 405 estate which is soldiering on part 284k, oil and filter every 6-8k helps these live on for years, especially the later EGR equipped ones like you have there, I'd disconnect that too.

Also, how are you driving it? if you can learn to keep off the boost you will increase the MPG dramatically, fitting a boost gauge would help here!

pug_ham

It all depends on how much you're going to have to pay for the Bosch injection pump, pipes & injectors, its not just the pump you have to change because the injectors & pipes are also different & incompatible.

With regards to the smoke,also check the valve clearances, the XUD9 isn't as prone to them closing up ath igh mileage like the XUD7 but they still do to a smaller extent.

TBH, swapping pumps etc would be the last thing I'd look at to get it running better, finding a decent Bosch pump could be hard enough to start with.

One thing to try which was the problem on my old STDT causing to run feel seriously down oon power was a blocked fuel filter, they are only small (& cheap) on these engines & are supposed to be changed ever 12k, wise for the cost I've since found out. :(

Graham.

powermandan

I have a Bosch TD pump on the workbench, removed it from a van that had seized so i presume its in working condition.

Ive had it for ages and im sick of looking at it so u can have it for free if you pay the postage, only thing that needs attention is the tread at the end of shaft the pully bolt onto. it got a bit damaged on removal. should clean up with a file though.

I will warn you though it is a right **** removing the bloody pump in the first place, you will need some C spanners.

Pm me if u want it

springs

If you are wanting some more power out of the car i would say bosch is the way to go. There are a couple of 306 dturbo's with about 130bhp. There a lot easier to tune than the lucas pumps.

Just remember that you need the pump, fuel lines, injectors, mounting plate (although you can use your old one with some alterations) and once its all in a small bit of wiring

pug_ham
mounting plate (although you can use your old one with some alterations)

Its one stud location at the front of the bracket that needs moving into the hole next to it iirc.

Graham.

foreigner

regarding the fuel consumption.

my old XTDT used about 10 L per 100 miles which wasn't bad considering all the medals for winning the trafic lights' drag races.

Rob Turbo

I serviced it today, got the keys to the factory that I work at so had somewhere warm ish and dry to work. I used the engine flush because I had already bought it, changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and diesel filter, replaced the aux belt, I was going to turn the pump up while I was at it but got hungry so came home instead, I might do that tomorrow when I go back to change a ball joint.

It seems to have stoped smoking almost altogether, still seems a bit flat though. I think I'll stick to the lucas pump, seems like too much hastle trying to get at it!

Now, do I try to find out what's wrong with the air con or rip it out!!

Paul_13

I would recommend the Bosch pump, much more effecient and more MPG to be be gained.

As said you will need the lines, injectors and pump.

You make sure you get the pump timing right when you install the pump, there's three bolts which hold it onto the bracket. These need loosening and the pump rotating to get this right.

I know it sounds a hassle but the Lucas pump is sh!t, it has a built in fuel cut off which saps so much power.

Rob Turbo

I might start gathering the parts needed to swap to a bosch pump, is there anything else I'll need other than the pump, lines and injectors? Like the accelerator cable, fuel feed connections etc?

The smoking hasn't stopped, it's maybe slightly less smokey, and it's blue smoke, so I doubt it's anything to do with the glow plugs, it fires up straight away from cold without any trouble, just knocks a cloud of smoke out! It smokes for the first few seconds then stops, then starts smoking again at around 70 degrees (if the temp. gauge is accurate) then stops again at about 80 degrees and won't smoke again until it's left to cool.

omega

i would love to do this on my 406 2.1 td but on my lucus pump theres about 20 wires connected to it so wouldnt no where to start

pug_ham
I might start gathering the parts needed to swap to a bosch pump, is there anything else I'll need other than the pump, lines and injectors? Like the accelerator cable, fuel feed connections etc?

No, the cable & fuel lines etc should all fit straight onto the Bosch pump but be careful which pump you get due to some of the later ones having a different throttle switch plug iirc.

I've got a set of reconditioned Bosch injectors & lines I bought from Tom Fenton ages ago if you're interested.

Graham.

welshpug

Bosch pump you'd be fitting wont have a Throttle switch at all if its from a 306, later 406's do have a throttle switch on the Bosch Pump, this pump I don't think would be suitable for you.

All it controls is the EGR which in my opinion should be junked regardless!

Edited by welshpug

supersub14

Ive been driving 306 DTs for years. They all get smokey after 130k miles. Unless is seriously bad i wouldnt even bother changing anything. (But maybe thats down to the ruby red going through mine lol...)

welshpug
Ive been driving 306 DTs for years. They all get smokey after 130k miles. Unless is seriously bad i wouldnt even bother changing anything. (But maybe thats down to the ruby red going through mine lol...)

mine, and both my brothers cars weren't at all smokey any more than the usual ;)

mechanical injectors should be replaced or refurbished every 60k miles or so on an Xu engine, going double that wont help :)

although if everything else is in good fettle you probably wont notice it, the difference from fitting a set of injectors makes you wonder why more don't do it.

weejimmy

id recomend going bosch, use the 406 injectors if poss for a slight spray patern improvment.

easy job realy, the 306 can come with the throttle switch, but it should be ripped off anyway.,

omega. the 2.1 can be changed for the 1.9 bosh easily too, the wires you have on the lucas just throw away and run a live to stop solinoid on the bosh and your away. ive converted a few now it works great.

Sign in to follow this