• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dale205mills

[misc_work] Couple Of Rear Beam Rebuilds And Repaint And Tidy Up Of My

dale205mills

Hi Guy's

I just thought I would post up what I have been up to for the last couple of days. I brought a d reg 1.6 205 gti last year needing a engine and rear beam but with buying a house and building a workshop it got put on hold, fast forward to this year and I decided to do the rear beam and I thought I mite aswell build one for my silver 205 aswell as I painted the underside of it two summers ago, the rear beam and running gear didnt look right but I was still liveing with my grandad and working on a cold drive way put me off getting over keen, but now I have got a big warm workshop let the fun begin. I am lucky that I have broke up meny 205's, which means I have got parts that I can refurb and swap round with the old parts, meaning things move abit quicker.

Few pics, I have pressed the bearings into the tube already so stop any damage to my paint work.

rearbeamtubesinprimer.jpg

reararmsinprimer.jpg

torsionbarsinhammeritered.jpg

Pictures of work done today

lefthandtorsionbarinred.jpg

righthandtorsionbarinred.jpg

mountsinblack.jpg

mountsinsilver.jpg

mountsinblackandsilver.jpg

The parts in black are going on my d reg 205, so the finish of the paint work hasnt got to be as good as the parts in silver, which will be going on my silver 205, I have allso painted the underside of my black 205, made up new brake lines and painted other bits and bobs on the underside, will take pictures of that tomorrow. I would allso like to thank last legend for some ideas on what to make my silver 205 stand out even more.

jord294

good work pal

how have you painted the parts?

unless you treated the bare metal first with a rust inhibitor, it won't take long for bits to corrode through the paint :)

SurGie

Nice work, did you mark off the torsion bars so they are the right one for the right side ?

dale205mills
Nice work, did you mark off the torsion bars so they are the right one for the right side ?

The left hand side was done in white primer and the right hand side was done in gray primer :) I didnt bother last time I rebuilt a rear beam and didnt notice any diffence in the driveing or handleing of the 205, I hope my thread dont turn into a arguement over that :lol:

taylorspug

Uprated bars have no such markings on so i doubt theres alot in it, if anything.

yippeekayay

i agree with taylorspug....swapped a few around without problems...

Edited by yippeekayay

yippeekayay

were the pins welded into the tubes... on a d reg???? I Dont think I have ever managed to get one out without damage any newer than an L reg beam...

dale205mills

I have got a old school 20 ton floor standing press, with foot controls and it presses out anything, which is very handy on old warn out 205 parts :lol: Maybe we should have a little test on torsions fitted the right way round and the wrong way round and see if there is a difference, maybe when the 205's where new it mite of been a problem, but seeing as my torsion bars are well over 20 years old I cant see it being a problem, again that is my opinion.

Edited by dale205mills

yippeekayay

v jealous.... i leave mine soaking for two days and get the heat on them.... gonna have to save for 30 tonne press now..lol..

dale205mills
v jealous.... i leave mine soaking for two days and get the heat on them.... gonna have to save for 30 tonne press now..lol..

It would be one of the best things you can buy is a press, I am lucky that my good dad buy's and sells tools and machines, take a look at my workshop mate. these are good bits of kits. :blush:

partswasher.jpg

spaceheater.jpg

blastcabinet.jpg

compresser.jpg

pillerdrill.jpg

dale205mills

Bit of a update. I have painted the trailing arms in a relly nice shiney black and I have all so painted the ends of my rear beam tubes in shiney black.

rearbeamtube1.jpg

rearbeamtube2.jpg

rearbeamtube3.jpg

rearbeamtube4.jpg

trailingarms1.jpg

trailingarms2.jpg

trailingarms3.jpgtrailingarms4.jpg

marksorrento205

I have just looked at your workshop. :P Fair do's mate you lucky bugger!!

dale205mills
I have just looked at your workshop. :P Fair do's mate you lucky bugger!!

Thanks mate, all what I got dont make up for haveing my life turned upside down, when I was 17 but it do help B)

dale205mills

I painted some more bits today, can any one help on the trailing arms brake brackets, are they ment to be matching on both sides or is one side shorter then the other as I have got a few brackets that are different sizes.

arbends.jpg

trailingarmsbrakelinebracketslong.jpg

trailingarmsbrakelinebracketsshort.jpg

My plan for tomorrow is painting the yellow on the tubes and do a few more brackets.

dale205mills

up date people, I have decided to sort the underseal and paint out under the car. My plan is to use a air sander to prep the paint and use stone chip to finish off what peugeot started.

beforerearbeamdrop.jpg

beforebrakeandfuellineremoved.jpg

beforebreaklinesremoved.jpg

channelbeforelinesremoved.jpg

Ready for cleaning and prep work

channelreadyforprep.jpg

readyforprep.jpg

undersideview1.jpg

undersideview2.jpg

undersideview3.jpg

dale205mills

Hi, Been busy on the underside today with primering and stone chiping.

moreoftheundersideinprimer.jpg

undersideinprimer.jpg

newstonechiponunderside1.jpg

newstonechiponunderside2.jpg

newstonechiponundersidetunne2.jpg

newstonechiponundersidetunnel1.jpg

bootfloorinnewstonechip.jpg

I have all so started work on the rear arches

archesreadyforprimer.jpg

dale205mills

My late night moment of madness last night.

bothtogether.jpg

paintedrearbeamblack205.jpg

paintedrearbeamsilver205pic1.jpg

paintedrearbeamsilver205pic2.jpg

paintedrearbeamsilver205pic3.jpg

dale205mills

I will start by saying I hate photo bucket :) My photos have gone, Any way big up date and I will let the photos do the talking.

zincplated1.jpg

zincplated2.jpg

rebuildingrearbeam1.jpg

rebuildingrearbeam2.jpg

rebuilingrearbeam3.jpg

fittednewrearbeam1.jpg

fittednewrearbeam2.jpg

fittednewrearbeam3.jpg

fittednewrearbeam4.jpg

dale205mills

I thought I would show off my finished underside of my 205.

onramp1.jpg

onramp2.jpg

onramp3.jpg

onramp4.jpgonramp5.jpg

jord294

looks well :)

shame you've spoilt it by fitting cable ties to hold the handbrake cables to the bracket, instead of the proper clips

dale205mills
looks well :)

shame you've spoilt it by fitting cable ties to hold the handbrake cables to the bracket, instead of the proper clips

I have got the proper clips but they are crap in my eyes :D