• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
weejimmy

Xud11 2.1 Td Car Wont Start Any Ideas?

weejimmy

ok having issues with this car, i bought it with a fukd pump and put a 1.9 bosh on it, it ran realy bady i then relised the pump was only fueling from 3 outlets so put a lucas back on i still cant get it to start,

its fueling as ive took injectors out and put them to air and its firing,

its getting just over 300psi on a compresion test

and timing is spot on.

wont start with easy start or a tow

any ideas?

Edited by weejimmy

welshpug

glow plugs got 12v?

tried a sniff or eazy start?

jimistdt

Getting a current to the heater plugs Jimmy?

So it's had three pumps on now? No obvious tired looking pipes?

weejimmy

sorry forgot to mention had all glowplugs out the car and they seem fine , all red hot in 8 sec ish.

all feeds seem ok.

whats a sniff on easy start?

weejimmy

oh OR easy start,

yeah tried easy start, makes it almost stick while turning over, like battery is weak, but without it it seams fine,

jimistdt

Try fresh oil and a new air filter?

weejimmy

cant see that stoping it working to be honest.

mayby not run 100% but dont think it would stop it running full stop.

Edited by weejimmy

jimistdt

Well it seems if you've got fuel, you've got heat, then you're looking at air getting in somewhere, iether a bad hose connection or a split?

When was the last time the car ran well? and is it running on regular diesel or something else?

Paul_13

Have you rotated the diesel pump to get the timing on the pump correct? Not the cambelt timing by the way.

(Undo the three nuts on diesel pump bracket and rotate till it sounds right?) There's probably a correct procedure for this but thats all I know.

My mate ryanstdt on here, had an issue when we fitted a bosch pump to his 306.

We had to rotate in on the bracket so it would fire (advance/retardation was wrong).

Edited by Paul_13

jimistdt

Also, have you tried swapping the stop solenoid for a good one? scrub that, you're getting fuel...

Edited by jimistdt

welshpug

are you 100% sure that you are getting enough fuel through under cranking?

also if it doesn't start on easy-start I'd be re-checking the engine timing, a trick I have used sevceral times on large commercials is to give them a good dose of easy start to get the engine spinning over fast enough to build up the diesel pressure.

making a 24 valve XF 430 rev up by squirts of the good stuff is fun :)

Edited by welshpug

weejimmy

well its deffoe getting enough to open the injectors as its spraying out of them, looks like a fair amount as well.

ive checked the timing 100 times, ive even had the pullys off to make sure the woodruff keys are there so it couldnt have sliped round on the pully.

one thing im thinking is possibly inlet manifold full of crap from the egr system.

alslo ive never heard this car run good, but i have had it running rough for a day.

so i know its not got a crankshaft missing haha

Paul_13

Did you do the pump timing? Rotate it on its bracket?

gtmotorsport

This sounds to me very much like fuel pump timing to me. I have no knowledge of the XUD11, but my Landrover Discovery is very critical on fuel injector pump timing. A degree out and she won't run what so ever

Paul_13

These are the three screws, rotate the pump while someone cranks it

One is hidden from view.

post-12999-1264679612_thumb.jpg

weejimmy

hey guys yeah i know about timing etc and its all fine, but xud run at any timing realy, ive personaly had a engine start and run with timing 90 deg out. and this one is within tolerances so its not that.

ive tryd it fully retarder / fully advanced and everwhere inbetween.

i think my next step id to check hydrolic tappets to make sure im opening the valves

Paul_13

Hmmmmm... bit stumped then

Blockage in inlet like you said is all I can think of.

pugman211

I'd be looking at the pump timing aswell. dads 406 car did this once, and it was be pump had slipped a fraction. would crank over for nearly 5 min and then eventually fire up with lots of smoke.

Anyway of trying another pump on it???

foreigner

I am not a expert but I'd try another bosch since all the bracket and injectors are already changed for bosch one (aren't they?) and you'll know if it's engine or pump.

You absolutely right with xud running on any timing.

by the way have you had the engine running at all before you started conversion??

Edited by foreigner

weejimmy

had it running for a day but not exactly smoothly,

pump bracket is same one for bosch or lucas you just move the mounting lugs, ( 5 min job)

im sure its not the pump and or timing. i know this pump worked as it drove the car in to remove the pump to use on this one.

its a conspiricy i tell ye

foreigner

Aren't the injectors different for lucas ?

That's what I always understood that they use different injectors for lucas and other for bosch,

or I might be wrong?

Tom Fenton

I'm fairly sure you are right. The different injectors have different opening pressures, I think Bosch are higher than Lucas, I think this is detailed in the Haynes 306 manual.

weejimmy

yes lucas open at 145 bar and bosh 165 iirc,

it dosent mater thoe the 2.1 td will run fine with a bosh pump + lucas inj etc, ive done a few conversions and some peole dont want the extra £20 expense and just leav lucas injectors on with the bosh pump and they run fine

but i have lucas pump and lucas injectors on it anyway.

foreigner

conspiracy as you said

jimistdt

Just had a thought on this weejimmy, does your car have the power steering fluid reservoir mounted on the rad? Mine has, although I'm not sure if it is standard, underneath that is a relay with about 4 wires coming out of it, have you dislodged one of these terminals, I did on mine once and if effectively immobilised the car, it would turn over but not start.

Something to consider?

Jimi

Sign in to follow this