• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
batespeed

205 Gtx

batespeed

ive just bought a 205 gtx with a goosed engine, its a single point injection. it looks to me to be like a gti but with the 1.4 spi engine.

a few questions, can i use an xs head with the spi to give me more power ? (they have a different cam and ports i believe)

failing that, could i fit a saxo vtr engine, block up the injector holes in the head , and run it on the single point injection system ?

and what diff ratio is in this model ? is it low geared like the xs, or higher geared like the other 1.4's

thanks in advance :D

Lan

if you were going to fit a saxo vtr engine why waste time with shoddy spi, tuning spi engines is also a waste of time, get a good starting block a carb tu3 engine or a mpi saxo engine, you could spend a lot of money on spi and get nowhere.

batespeed
if you were going to fit a saxo vtr engine why waste time with shoddy spi, tuning spi engines is also a waste of time, get a good starting block a carb tu3 engine or a mpi saxo engine, you could spend a lot of money on spi and get nowhere.

fair comment, but to convert to mpi i would need the engine loom, unlocked ecu and high pressure pump (i think)

welshpug

not difficult with the number of saxo's and 106's about.

batespeed

fair comment, but to convert to mpi i would need the engine loom, unlocked ecu and high pressure pump (i think)

its a TU3M (kdy) engine so according to my data book its rated at 80 bhp at 6200 rpm so it might be worth repairing, i just thought the extra capacity of the 1600 would give me a bit more power and a lot more torque...............

i'm guessing its the higher geared box that most 1.4s come with

Edited by batespeed

batespeed

the engine might not be knackered, i fixed the valve timing, (it was 2 teeth out)replaced a faulty starter and drained about 2 gallons of oil and petrol out of the sump............. it then started, and ran ok for 5 mins but cut out and wont run now, its sparking ok but doesnt seem to be injecting. where is the fuel pump relay ? is it the blue one behind the fuses in the box ? and do i have to drop the tank to get at te fuel pump ? anything else it could be? any help appriciated

omega

lift the back set cushion to get to the pump

batespeed
ive just bought a 205 gtx with a goosed engine, its a single point injection. it looks to me to be like a gti but with the 1.4 spi engine.

a few questions, can i use an xs head with the spi to give me more power ? (they have a different cam and ports i believe)

failing that, could i fit a saxo vtr engine, block up the injector holes in the head , and run it on the single point injection system ?

and what diff ratio is in this model ? is it low geared like the xs, or higher geared like the other 1.4's

thanks in advance :)

right i got a half hour at the 205 today , and discovered as soon as i put the ignition on it pumps a good thimble full of fuel down the manifold , flooding everything, am i right in thinking this is probably due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator ? its built into the spi unit , i never got a chance to take it apart for a look , meaby tomorrow

r

batespeed

fed up wasting time trying to fix the in jection system, so i'm just going to take the tu3s head/ manifolds / carb /distributor off my mini and stick it on.

if i disable the fuel pump in the tank will the mechanical pump still be able to sook fuel through it ? and if so where is the fuse and pump relay ?

and will the tu3s exhaust manifold mate up with the injection downpipe ok ? thanks

jaked

Hi Mate, if you're interested I've got a 1.6 16v engine from a saxo, that was fitted in a 205 rallye, so it's ready to go back into a 205. I've got the unlocked ecu and wiring loom etc too. Also i've bought a gti fuel tank, which should be a straight swap (solves the pump problem), also the manifold as well.

I bought it as I was planning to do the conversion into my xs...but I then had a crash in the car, so was left with the engine. I've since bought a shell, but just lack the know-how really to put the engine into an empty shell.

I havn't run the engine in a year or two, so can't guarantee it, but it's been stored in the dry all this time, so can't see why it wouldn't run.

Just thought i'd let you know in case it's of any interest

Also, as you're starting with an injection engine, it might make the wiring etc a bit easier??

batespeed

thanks mate but, im trying to get it on the road as a 1.4 to start with, and on a very limited budget (£0)

i put the tu3s head etc on today, and it all works. i just disconected the plug from the fuel pump under the back seat.

it seems quite quick on the road, but jesus its noisey ! its got a boy racer back box which is only about half the size of a normal back box, ive got a 205 diesel back box kicking about somewhere i must try that on. its also running big aftermarket alloys with 195/50 15's which i guess will raise the gearing a bit. was it 165/70 13's that were on this car originaly ? ive got four saxo steelies with part worn 165/70's, must see what its like with these on.

so it seems the only difference between a tu3s engine and any other 1360 is just the head and all the bits bolted on to it

any one in the north of scotland want to buy 4 alloys with good tyres and studs and a LOUD back box ?

chippy

if ya want a little bit more of a push fit the old twin choke manifold and slap on a nice decent set off webers! :)

spi aint worth a tap IMO