• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dan_cole69

2004 Peugeot 206 Xsi Keeps Playing Up!

dan_cole69

Hi all,

A friend of mine has been having trouble with her 206 XSI and I haven't got a clue what is wrong with it and neither does the mechanics she keeps taking it to.

Ok so the problem is that when it rains the car starts kangarooing and produces lots of clear smoke from the exhaust. Then it starts declining in speed quite quickly and then will just cut out (Like it has stalled). When this happens she leaves the car for a few minutes or for as long as she can safely and then she fires it back up, it starts without a problem but it really really sluggish, so sluggish that it wouldn't even get to 60mph the other day.

The weird thing is that the car is fine in the snow and when its dry its just when it rains or when it has been raining. She has taken it to severall garages and they have plugged it into their computer and no fault come up. She has had a sensor replaced (couldn't remember which one), a new coil pack, and a new CAT. None of which worked.

Any Ideas? I leave it to the mechanical gods (you guys) to help :P

Dan

rescue dude

It almost sounds as if rain water is getting into the engine. Perhaps via the air intake? I'd check to see if the air filter is wet or shows signs of water damage. A mate of mine had an RS turbo that did something similar and that was rain getting into the air intake.

welshpug

from memory the XSi is the 1.6 TU engine (110 bhp TU5JP4)

crank sensor issues are common, but the loss of power rather than cutting out seems like a MAP or Throttle position sensor issue, I do believe a 206 that late would have a motorised fly by wire throttle butterfly, though they still do have a cable attached to the pedal all it does is move a potentiometer that sits in the engine bay at the side.

such faults can often not log any error codes in the ecu, but doing a Diagnostic check and clearing data would be my first task, if nothing was found I'd drive the vehicle with the code reader plugged in to see what live data is being seen by the ecu.

Wallby

I think a friend of mine had a similar issue with the same car. When it happened to him, he took it back to Peugeot where they said that it couldn't be repaired under warranty because it had been driven through flood water (Which it had not). He then found out that this was caused by rain water collecting in the air box. He soon got rid of it but it could be worth checking to see if this is the problem?

woodsy

I have had 2 206's in my place lately although only 1.4 etc and both needed no.1 injector as commmon problem.These cars where misfiring though so not sure if yours is.Its common because the drivers washer jet leaks water right on the injector.Maybe worth checking the injector with ohmeter, it should be between 12-17 ohms if i remember correctly.

EdCherry

Oh yer, I can see the problem here.... yep clearly obvious...

She bought a bloody 206!

On a serious side of things, id check injectors, know of alot of them having injector problems, including my own.

boombang

An ex had one, cost thousands to put right. Was an ECU wiring fault apparently.

blue_haddock

Daft as it may seem the little niggles i was having with my 206 we're sorted before christmas when i changed the battery and at the same time performed the system reboot type thing. However mine was the 2.0GTi so totally different from yours.