• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Steffrallye

[engine_work] Indigo Gti, Jp4 Build

Steffrallye

Ok sorry people its not a 205, but hoping your all peugeot lovers a 106 will be good enough for you :D, if not :D lol

well anyway here we go,

Names Steffen Hansen, im from Bodelwyddan in North Wales, im now 21.

Right, after selling the Black Betty the 16v 106 rallye i was after a 306 rallye, but after ages of looking i couldnt find one that was descent sadly,

then i spotted this for sale, and went for it :P

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

Travelled down south too pick her up, and was very happy with the car and the price

soo next came the fiddling, just trying to remember what ive done lol. Well already on the way home from picking her up i de-badged the rear, got home and de-wipered the rear window.

Next was a set of Compomotive Flatspoke MO's,

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

Then was a supersprint full race system

IMG_4079.jpg

I desided i wanted to be different, soo

i fitted a second cooling fan and wired it in, and they went orange !!! :D

IMG_3992.jpg

and so it sorta took over me and i did some more,

IMG_3994.jpg

That was just done for the minute until i could afford to do what i want, theres orange cam covers, ecu cover, fuse cover, dip stick, toe rings

oh and fitted a strut brace and that went orange too,

soo then i had to spread it abit further :D

IMG_4014.jpg

yep the mo's went orange too....

but i was never happy with it (was VW brillant orange),but it just wasn't bright enough, so i had some cans of Ford electric / ST orange made up and gave them another coat, and thaty was much better.

DSCF0246.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

Steffrallye

Also after some fiddley maskin up, the GTi badges went orange.

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

oh and some black side repeaters went on there too.

Then next was a set of 266mm brakes, was dead chuffed as they was only £30 from a scrappy and they had brand new discs and pads awell :fcuk:

Not got a great pic tho, i also sprayed them black when i fitted them, just had to grind a chuck out so they fitted, simple enough and the brakes are a much better now, but as you will see in a min i didnt have a chance to re-bleed them again and...

IMG_4076.jpg

then its time to get lower and harder :D

IMG_4065.jpg

Bilstein dampers on the front followed by

IMG_4066.jpg

60mm lowering springs... and a pair of new group N strut top rubbers, also i replaced one of the droplinks, thats why this strut is still on the car, didnt want to touch the link incase it fooked up lol

also had the back lowered to match, and i fitted the rear billies on later in the thread with some braided brake lines,

also 4-2-1 manifold + heat wrap, but the wrap was abit damaged so could do with being redone if i wana be picky lol

IMG_4081.jpg

also theres a pipercross filter on there until i sort a good one out, and had to move it forward after it shorted the battery out and the negitive cable burnt out !!! so yes!! its abit bodged for the min, =P

Erm what else?? ooo ive fitted a pair of fogs in the bumper for the moment until i find some rallye vents, just tidy it up really, but it does help with the night driving, ive fitted new pressed plates to again tidy her up.

Sorry to the car detailing people but....

DSCF0215.jpg

yes i know lol, im having the buffer put over it in a few days so one auto car wash wont kill her lol

oh a new cd player too this one doesnt freeze on me and had a usb so does me lol much better plus ORANGE magic tree lol, with extra face >.<

IMG_4080.jpg

Steffrallye

Then finally, yesterday it was about time i got this done.. NEW CLUTCH AND GEARBOX

Thanks liam for giving us a hand and use of the garage much better having a lift and not been on the drive in the rain lol

The clutch was fooked, was slipping so badly i could barly get anywhere, the evo triangle doesnt do my cars much good lol, also the gearbox was knackered, u could move the shaft about 1cm alround lol and there was a right noise when turnin it

pics below

everything off and gearbox already to drop

IMG_4069.jpg

new and old box

IMG_4070.jpg

gearbox off and a very smooth clutch :D

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg

new box code, S1 1.3 rallye close ratio gearbox popped all the way down to dan rallye in south wales for this, top lad, cheers

IMG_4072-1.jpg

also put a bolt through the gear selector arm, so theres no play now and the gear stick is solid : ) just had to drill it out abit..

IMG_4074.jpg

Then at 3am in the morning lol, prob due to the stress of doing the gearbox yesterday the top engine mount snapped : ( it did look rather knackered anyway and could have done with replacing anyway, along with the bottom mount too, so ill get a poly one for the bottom when the funds appear

IMG_4075.jpg

lucky i had top mount about anyway so was a quick repair : )

Steffrallye

And then a lesson was learned, DONT LEAVE JOBS THAT NEED DOING!!!

after fitting my 266mm i noticed they needed bleeding again, but due to time it got put off over and over again.

so when braking hard the pedel went to the floor on the abs

and this ended up in corner, no brakes, fence, WACK!

New bumper needed and a good buff of the bonnet. I gave it a quick T-cut to get most the marks off, but hopefully andyjos can get the some of the rest out tomoz, but it needs a bumper, so is a good time for a de-badge

some pics, but u cant really see them, looks worse in person

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

so i learn my lesson the bad way, and will rebleed the brakes tomoz, lucky this was 5am in the mornin and there was nobody else abwt.

soo.. new couple of stickers, think that will be it now as i want to keep the outside pretty clean and tidy...

had this made up as well as a set of new compomotive stickers for the alloys, so will put them on too when i give them a proper clean, they was done by Steve Hughes Signs in Ruthin, and they came out perfect and great price too.

DSCF0238.jpg

also, as i seem to always be there lol,

IMG_4100.jpg

Then a prezzi arrived, so straight after work i got it fitted, took a bit of time to do it tidy, ended up taking the passenger seat out and half the rear bench,

was just a bit fiddlely, but nothin bad,

battery un boot ,

IMG_4101.jpg

and made sure the wiring was nice and tidy

IMG_4102.jpg

so now i have some room under there to play with :D

Steffrallye

Then came a very nice Simota oil catch tank

so with in minutes i had it pumped up, just quick until i sort the air filter out and so on, but very pleased with it, great price and got some nice pipe work with it lol

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

oh and also had a lovely blow out, right in my face while blowing it up, had been runnin on the motorway on a very low tyre so must have done some damage.

DSCF0212.jpg

dont you just love the windy jacks XD

DSCF0209.jpg

so put the spare on and attacked it with spray, i didnt care and done it for a laugh lol, the wheel was wet too, its beautiful :D

DSCF0315.jpg

next was a BMC air filter and silcone bend on there now, but theres dim pics sorry

well i got a pair of kuhmo's for the rear as u see below, due to the blow out.

IMG_4127.jpg

Steffrallye

Then a wine from the 1.3 box began, then while on the club drive i did back in August i lost fifth a few times, there was a lot of wierd noises and rattles lol, then after a week or so with only 4 gears this happened!!

something wanted out lol, and all the oil was lost in a cloud of smoke

so a few days later i thought i better fix it, got he parts from a spare box, and swopped the bits about, turns out the circlip broke and the gear came forward bending a plate over so it couldnt engage the gear,

we'll heres some pics...

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

then i had a spare bonnet laying about after breaking a quiky, so went abit mad again , also took it york dragway on the national day so everyone could have fun lol

DSCF0451.jpg

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

and sadly for somereason the clutch has gone again!!!! in the same way, so when the tax ran out at the end of september i Sorned her , so now i have the winter to sort the clutch and whatever is causing it, rebuild the gearbox as losing the oil fooked the bearings up so she wines. and sort the weird idel that started just before she came of the road.

still i dont have a clue what blew out of the gear box, cos there was nothing missing apart from the little circlip????

well today, i fitted some nice digi clocks i had in the garage for awhile , just followed the guide on here and was spotted on, but the fog i had to move to from green 8 to green 10, not 6 and dont follow the bit where he says connect some together, he's said the wrong plugs, just follow the list as that is right and connect the same ones in there,

DSC05119.jpg

DSC05118.jpg

DSC05121.jpg

just need to sort the fuel gauge out now, it was on red in the old clocks and is now on 1/4,

Steffrallye

Right so now

front struts are off, driveshafts out, gearbox off, clutch off, flywheel off.

found that this time the clutch was slipping due to a massive oil leak, so ive decided, if its coming apart, its coming apart for a good reason, and im gona put some planing into action

struts will be rebuilt with new bearings ect, gearbox is gona be rebuilt due to the wineing, need a pass side driveshaft, and the rest you will see as it happens, and as i get some money lol.

oh and there's braided brake lines on there too, forgot about tht.

few pics,

struts off etc

DSC05124.jpg

DSC05128.jpg

DSC05123.jpg

gearbox off etc

DSC05129.jpg

DSC05127.jpg

also i changed my mind here again and the engine was coming out, its ready to drop but i should be getting a engine crane tomoz so i thought id save my back lol

then,

sprayed up some new boot lifters for the bonnet, orange of course,

got the loom off, tidyed that up, tape, cable cover, looks much better now,

new stainless bolts for the engine bay, eg wings etc

Edge trim to tidy bits up

brought some paint,

blue leds for the digi clocks

slam panel off for paint,

headlights off

wiring, power steering, fuse box etc removed for paint

Oh and got some private plates, there for my 21st

heres how she sits at the mo, hopefully things will get a move on soon

100_1061.jpg

DSCF0480.jpg

DSCF0473.jpg

Steffrallye

its bloodly freezing and chucking it down

soo.. mums not here, lets attack the Kitchen

oven on, lights in

Headlights apart, Spots apart,

washed all the lenses,

sprayed and back together, simplies

pics below

DSCF0481.jpg

DSCF0483.jpg

DSCF0482.jpg

DSCF0484.jpg

DSCF0485.jpg

DSCF0486.jpg

DSCF0441.jpg

Steffrallye

right what a day, liam turned up with a engine crane, then mike (welshspiky) turned up,

so i got him to give me a hand, first wipped the GTi out, god a crane makes life so much easyer

DSCF0444-1.jpg

DSCF0445-2.jpg

DSCF0446-2.jpg

DSCF0451-2.jpg

great work next was to move the gti, so i could now change the quiky engine so i can get back on the road

so parked the quiky on the grass, use the crane to move the gti back and then got the quiky in front of the garage,

sounds easy doesnt it, GOD NO it was hard lol, up hill on a bumpy drive,

DSCF0453-1.jpg

then we was off to Tweeks for mike's new strut brace, and then to the scrappy for me, as well as some bargin's, one of which is now for sale, i came home with the new power plant

Got my self a JP4 out of a 307 with very low milage, less than 20k.

DSCF0447-2.jpg

DSCF0450-2.jpg

DSCF0454-1.jpg

so now i can do some more bits and bobs.

had abit more fun XD

been out with the grinder and attacking the rust, and covering up with primer, nothing much but takes time, still got a few little bits to do but the sun as gone,

also ive cut two nice big holes out on each inner wing, i hate rust

DSCF0484-1.jpg

DSCF0485-1.jpg

Steffrallye

few pics, the head, the block, and the pile of scrap and the nice big holes XD

DSCF0486-1.jpg

DSCF0488.jpg

DSCF0501.jpg

DSCF0489.jpg

DSCF0495.jpg

the damage

DSCF0494.jpg

just hoping it can be welded as alloy does really like it with out warping :D

Steffrallye

bit more again,

the horrible big holes got welded up, the welder was a bit over sized but did the job. thanks jonny, (woo on here)

DSCF0503.jpg

DSCF0505.jpg

then abit of grinding an filling so it was nice and smooth and it was ready for somemore primer on both sides.

DSCF0512.jpg

then after a powerwash, out came the underseal, both front arches are done, and the lower parts of the engine bay also, aswell as the complete leg, im not gettin any rust now hahahaha lol, well i hope

DSCF0514.jpg

then stripped down the rest of the JP4, pistons out ready to be played with. also fitted the alternator backets and engine mount to it to,

DSCF0510.jpg

DSCF0507.jpg

striped the head down for welding, all valves out, all seals out and nuts etc off.

but of course there was more bad news, the inlet valve near the damage is slighty bent. its just slighty stiff moving in and out, but when putting a different valve in the same stem it moves fine, so the damage seems to just be to the valve its self,

so ill replace the valve but at this rate i might just get another head

oh and brought a new toy for the valves :D

DSCF0513-1.jpg

DSCF0518.jpg

DSCF0521.jpg

DSCF0522.jpg

Steffrallye

engine bay primered,

DSCF0591.jpg

DSCF0590.jpg

then rubbed it down,

sprayed the first coat on, then the second, looked great then...... whats then, drip drip RAIN, and b4 i could get the cover on the paint was wrecked, so now ive gotta rub it down again and respray :D, but ive made enough room to drag her in the garage to keep her dry

also, bargain of the week :D:D

A Free, thats right a FREE BTB exhaust manifold

its a bit rusty but with a clean and a wrap it'll be perfect :P

DSC05353.jpg

DSC05354.jpg

went on a little trip the other day to huddersfield to meet Andy_k, for some bits, thanks to charlie for taking me over the massive mountain there lol

DSC05384.jpg

so once there for £50 i got my self a list of bits,

- gti/vts head with bent valves

- Cam belt cover set

- Cam covers

- 16v oil Cooler/heat exchanger

- 16v flywheel

- 16v sump

- 16v gti/vts cam pulleys

so now this means i dont have to go ripping the head of my gti engine and its worth more to sell

bits

16v head on the kitchen table lol - ive sorta taken over

DSC05385.jpg

cambelt covers

DSC05386.jpg

Steffrallye

more bits

DSC05388.jpg

then stripped the gti head down for the only bits i wanted the springs etc

DSC05431.jpg

DSC05426.jpg

some nicely bent valves, only two unbent

DSC05427.jpg

the differences

gti spring on the left, jp4 on right

DSC05420.jpg

then the valves

gti on the right, jp4 left

DSC05428.jpg

im waiting on a new jp4 head to arrive anyday now. then i can build that up :D

then the pistons still need to be sent off aswell as the crank and flywheel.

then the block is having a slight rebore then new over size rings. then back together.

then with a little more pennies the good bits from Sandy/colin and management will be needed

oh and this is the gti at the moment, the bay has been painted but on the last coat it rained and messed it up, so need to do tht again.

DSC05432.jpg

and the crank is out ready to balance with the fly.

DSC05434.jpg

Steffrallye

Not much has been happing really atm, awaiting some parts, but mostly its been freezing and most of my money has gone on christmas,

but got bored and stuck my private plate on lol

DSC05486.jpg

Also the engine bay has been resprayed in gloss black :D thanks again to Woo

DSC05491.jpg

DSC05488.jpg

BUT, it was done outside, on a nice dry day until the last coat when.....whats that??? SH*T RAIN, and before the cover could be pulled over the paint was cover in rain drops,:wall:

soo.....

DSC05493.jpg

Ended up sanding the complete bay down again :n: think ive already started in the above pics by the look of the scuttle panel,

Removed a stud on the side and the three battery tray bolts,

DSC05492.jpg

So now ive cleared my ton of crap in the garage so i can get the car in and on a descent day ill get hold of the compressor and spray it again lol

Then today went and picked up some nice prezzi's from Mr Orange, well Leah (thank you for the delivery :P)

DSC05551.jpg

some very nice and mint Diamond Lense Morettes :D and also a set of Hi/Lo 6000k HIDs, fitted these to the quiky im running round in atm and it makes such a difference even on the standard lights.

also liam popped round with a borrowed glaze buster so i could do my block ready for the new rings, and he had a quick go aswell so ill finish the other three bores when i get a chance.

DSC05548.jpg

so theres a little more done lol

Steffrallye

little update,

first off finished glaze busting the block, so will be ready for them pistons when...

DSC05647.jpg

DSC05646.jpg

i get them back, as they should be in the hands of Colin by now for pocketing.

gave them a quick clean before they went off.

DSC05636.jpg

Also got my hands on a 2000> fuel pump so that now the digi clocks should read correctly. oh and a can of acid etch to finish the engine bay again lol so it should be ready for paint again. :A:

DSC05578.jpg

and a 16v gti thermostat housing for the jp4 lump from quik-pug, thanks

DSC05648.jpg

and from my latest purchase (XSI) a blue interior carpet, needs a good clean but theres no damage, a black/dark grey headlining, dark grey sun visors and other bits,

DSC05669.jpg

DSC05671.jpg

plus a brand new Nissians Alloy radiator (i also brought one the same day lol so will be for sale soon)

DSC05668.jpg

Steffrallye

also a pair of poly anti-roll bar bushes

DSC05677.jpg

and the best thing :D

a brand new Audi pop out cup holder think i will be the first 106 with an actual holder once fitted lol :y:

DSC05639.jpg

DSC05640.jpg

and a pic of the current view from my bedroom lol

DSC05644.jpg

so thats where im up to at the moment,

SPEC'S HOW SHE IS ATM,

Engine & gearbox - in the building but b4 hand was:

Raceland 4-2-1,

Supersprint de-cat Race system,

Simota alloy oil catch tank and silcone pipe work

Battery moved to boot in fibreglass box

Poly exhaust hangers

BMC enclosed filter with silcone bend,

Poly lower engine mount

1.3 S1 Rallye gearbox

Orange sparco strut brace

Orange covers, fan's etc

Wheels, Brakes & Suspenion

60mm lowering springs on front

Rear lowered to match

Bilstein sprintline shortered dampers alround

polybushed wishbones

Compomotive 15" Flatspoke Mo's sprayed in Ford St orange

kuhmo rubber

266mm Brakes

full braided brake lines alround

Interior

Standard full leather

uprated CD/MP3 player

Digi clock conversion

BIG Tango can on parcek shelf lol

Exterior

Colour coded bump stipes,

black side repeaters,

pressed plates

bee-sting

the odd sticker

tinted spots

tinted headlights

Rear De-wipered

Rear De-badged

Ford St orange side badges

Orange toe eyes

Custom special bonnet lol

And in the building

Engine bay recon, de-rust, and spray black.

Jp4 1.6 16v engine

crank and flywheel balanced and lightened

pistons pocketed by colin/sandy

port and polished head

708 Catcams

Colin/sandy's Gsxr throttle bodie setup

DTA S40 ECU

Colin/sandys nice looms

Diamond Morettes

HID conversion

Nissians alloy radiator

silcone hoses

VTS oil cooler/heat exchanger

erm....

Edited by Steffrallye

kyepan

lots of work done there mate, well done!

Guest DaleB

Arite mate loving the orange on blue. . . stands out so much. Looks like you'll have a strong engine too! Could potentially push over 170 bhp if am correct with the setup your going with. good luck!

woo83
sprayed the first coat on, then the second, looked great then...... whats then, drip drip RAIN, and b4 i could get the cover on the paint was wrecked, so now Ive gotta rub it down again and respray , but Ive made enough room to drag her in the garage to keep her dry

;) That rain did really come from nowhere didn't it. :lol:

Looking sweet though good to see the full story.

Why has it still got a sunroof :P

Edited by woo83

Steffrallye

lol, it did jonny, you should have had me on cloud watch lol.

when you going to have my nice billet work done, well started lol :lol:

yes thats the plan, im hoping for 160-170bhp but you can never tell untill there first started and on the rollers. The engine begin only 20k is pretty much new too so theres hardly any wear, and for £230 which is cheaper than most gti engines and alot lower milage is was the best choice i think.

24seven

Good read, and good effort. I quite like the orange & blue as well.

I'm sure I've seen that car before though. Last September there was a pug run around North Wales of a load of 205s and 306s. We all drove by you as you waited in a passing point on top of the Orme :lol:.

Steffrallye

lol, yes that was me, but i wasnt in the car. Me and the gf was writing our names in the stones lol, but i did have a chat with one of you for awhile, sorry but forgotten his name, think he was the chairman of psooc? But yes that was me, but she was a little dirty at the time. lol

oh and a little more,

brought four little posh SMD sidelights, two for the morettes but they need modifying to fit as they are slightly bigger, and two for the rear number plate lights to give it that moddern bright light look.

DSC05691.jpg

and one of two Catcams lol

A 708 exhaust cam, got it cheap with less than 500miles on it, a new inlet cam direct is £150 so this works out cheaper than buying a pair second hand with more milage.

DSC05700.jpg

Steffrallye

little more again,

popped to burmy land to get yet another JP4 head, been waiting on this for ages so throught fook it ill just go get it lol, so i did.

DSC05721.jpg

DSC05720.jpg

stripped it down, valves everything off and out, this head came fitted with gti springs already and cams but they are not use to me so if someone wants them just ask

DSC05723.jpg

DSC05724.jpg

so now im in the middle of port and polishing it, well think liam might take over and do the rest as he has the right tools.

also painted a couple of bits,

thermostate housing,

DSC05729.jpg

sump,

DSC05731.jpg

and got a brand new cat for the mot for free,

DSC05795.jpg

and also got my self a new starter,

DSC05679.jpg

then i went about fitting my blue xsi carpet, WHAT A PIG!!!

first off powerwashed it, then brushed soap into it for ages and washed a couple more times,

DSC05743.jpg

once it stopped dripping it went in the bath and then in front of a rad untill dry

DSC05745.jpg

Steffrallye

the started stripping the interior out, which once again has got moldy due to the damp ,

DSC05788.jpg

if anyone as a good way to keep it dry let me know, for now the sets have found a new home in my bedroom with the front end of the car lol,

but finally after hours of pain and making it it it was in, had to cut slots for the tensioners etc and the airbag ecu found its new home on top of the carpet,

DSC05792.jpg

DSC05794.jpg

but its was worth it, even if i did get it abit dirty again from fitting.

also while at it i fitted my 2000> fuel pump, so hopefully now the clocks should be reading correctly, but cant test atm due to the state of the car,

DSC05790.jpg

also thanks to andy a quick photoshop was done of what it should look like,

fuzzysteff3.jpg

i think im in love lol and this has really got me in the mood to get it done,

Steffrallye

yesterday headlining,

first off got it removed from the donar car, a nice black head lining,

DSC05800.jpg

and also all the other bits, grab handles, sun visors etc,

DSC05806.jpg

then a discovery, i said the car was damp, but god i didnt expect this :rolleyes:.

DSC05802.jpg

DSC05803.jpg

the whole roof was soaked and covered in water droplets, so dryed the roof with all of ma mums kitchen roll,

then clean and check the the sunroof drain pipes was clear and clean.

DSC05805.jpg

then went in the linear,

DSC05811.jpg

and finally all the little bits in, and a couple of bowls of salt thanks again for that reminder

DSC05815.jpg