• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adam2oh5

Engine Conversions.need Help!

Paul_13

Just realised my mistake 5 mins ago and can't edit the post.

Take Baz's word for the valve size for early 1.6 heads not mine.

adam2oh5
VERY early 1.6's had smaller valves, (I think that's what Paul means too) like 1984 variants, otherwise both 1.6 and 1.9 from at least '86 onwards had the same size valves. (Obviously later when they actually started making 1.9 GTi's!) So your 'professionals' might be well clued up, but i'm afraid they doesn't know that much about XU heads clearly.

Yes, running a 1.9 on 1.6 management may not be the optimum or most ideal, but i can tell you first hand it works, and very well. There's a 1.9 engine in my workshop that at least 3 members on here have driven in anger whilst running on 1.6 management and wouldn't tell you otherwise.

I'm not here to make you look a twat, i don't need to do that, i'm here to hopefully help and advise like you've asked! I'm merely saying think out what you're asking before you ask, considering your replies are all over the place so far!

i appolagise. thats very strange then. my car is a h reg.but ill definatly take your word for it.its just confused me as the other 1.6 engine i had and took apart for spares had smaller valves.

im sorry i havnt made it clear.ill try and start again.

i have rebuilt a 205 1.6 gti into a 1.9.this is what i will be using for track days and the trips to the track.

i stripped the head and block down and de coked and cleaned and evan had the liners out just to get rid of the crap that builds up round them from the water.

block wise is standard.but i did use the 1.6 pistons as the 1.9 ones was dished more as i know that they where from a late low comp 1.9.so really it should be up on compression.

the head was port and polished with a 292 deg cam from piper with double race springs,new followers,pully and a free belt that he threw in for me.i have a 4 2 1 manifold with group n lower engine mounts to get rid of the engine tourqe and a straight through exhaust to get the gasses flowing out better.

i have spax rsx adjustable coilover kit,gti6 hubs and brakes and the rubber touching the floor are r888's

i have perspex windows to make the shell abit lighter and stripped interior with harnesses.

this is my first track car so let me know if i have done anythink wrong or need to do sumthink to make it better.

Now for my next project i have asked a few people on here whats the best engine to go for? for full on track day evo/scooby killing power.what im looking for if a 205 that pulls very strong on the track and makes people wish they didnt spend three times the price i did.

ive never really been keen on turbo's but maybe consider it if i can reach about or over the 200bhp mark with out having to rebuild or replace parts all the time because the power.are they easy to work on?are they an easy fit? and do people rate it good for a track car?

now the other is a gti6.now i dont know if im right but are the 306 xsi engines the same apart from the inlet exhaust and cam and just little things like the differences on the 1.6 gti and the 1.9 gti? could i buy a xsi as they are cheaper than gti6's and upgrade from there or is there sumthink the gti6 has that the xsi doesnt? other than 6 speed gear box but i dont car for things like that. or maybe they used similar engines in the 406?like same block and heads just different cam and so on?

206 gti or gti 180 i have looked at and are still too much to buy but would i be saving money on just buying the engine thats not to far from mega power and still reliable than spending mega money on an engine that will need a longer cool down from the thrashing it gets round the track or looses reliability.

is there any other engine out there that is easy cheap thrills? that doesnt upset the balance of the car and somethink that me and my dad can get laughes out of?

i hope i havnt come across as a cocky little s*it. all i wanted was for people to tell me whats the best route to go for.and if there is engines out of diferent motors that a similar.

thank you

Paul_13

GTI6 hubs can give you positive camber which is a bad thing.

The 306 xsi engine is lower compression also, others on here can tell you the ins and outs of it, or a search might bring up some results. (if that doesn't work try searching through google)

Anthony
now the other is a gti6.now i dont know if im right but are the 306 xsi engines the same apart from the inlet exhaust and cam and just little things like the differences on the 1.6 gti and the 1.9 gti? could i buy a xsi as they are cheaper than gti6's and upgrade from there or is there sumthink the gti6 has that the xsi doesnt? other than 6 speed gear box but i dont car for things like that. or maybe they used similar engines in the 406?like same block and heads just different cam and so on?

Whilst they're based on the same basic engine, there's quite a few differences between a XU10J4R engine (306 XSi etc) and XU10J4RS engine (GTi-6) - inlet and exhaust manifolds, cams, compression, and the head being the main ones.

Personally, I'd just get a complete GTi-6 setup with everything you need (ie loom, unlocked ECU etc) as that's a proven, straight forward conversion that many people on the forum have done - if you do a search, you'll find plenty of threads and details on the conversion.

I'd personally not a fan of the 2.0 Turbo engine whatsoever - it has potential for big power, but in standardish form I find it as dull as dishwater and totally out of sorts with the 205 ethos. Others may disagree, but again, there's lots of topics comparing the 2.0 Turbo engine against the usual 16 NA options.

As has been pointed out though, suspension and brakes (and even more importantly, driver ability) are what makes quick laptimes on track, not masses of power.

brumster

200bhp out of any 8v without a turbo - very, very expensive

200bhp out of an 8v with turbo - relatively easier, but not my area of expertise

200bhp out of a 1.9 mi16 - doable, but still pretty darn expensive - management, carbs, cam change

200bhp out of a 2.0 gti6 - slightly more achievable that the mi16 but you'll still be talking expensive cams and management/bodies/carbs.

(The same old argument of 'who's 200bhp do you believe' applies here to every power argument - ie. rolling road differences, etc. Say +/- 10bhp on all of them).

Trust me, 190bhp's worth of mi16 with the proper set of gearbox ratios will show up scoobies no problem.

I would also recommend just getting out there and having fun in your standard(ish) 8v, then just keep an eye out for an mi16/s16/gti6 that's the right price and the right nick. Unless you're seeking +200 horses I still believe the 1.9 mi16 is the more sensible option (given you can find a good one, of course - the simple fact is there's probably more iron lumps out there, but good ones? I'm not sure...)

Have fun :ph34r: you're not all that far away from myself, actually...

adam2oh5
GTI6 hubs can give you positive camber which is a bad thing.

The 306 xsi engine is lower compression also, others on here can tell you the ins and outs of it, or a search might bring up some results. (if that doesn't work try searching through google)

a s*it'un.will them adjustable top mounts do the job?or is there soemthink else i can do?

adam2oh5
Whilst they're based on the same basic engine, there's quite a few differences between a XU10J4R engine (306 XSi etc) and XU10J4RS engine (GTi-6) - inlet and exhaust manifolds, cams, compression, and the head being the main ones.

Personally, I'd just get a complete GTi-6 setup with everything you need (ie loom, unlocked ECU etc) as that's a proven, straight forward conversion that many people on the forum have done - if you do a search, you'll find plenty of threads and details on the conversion.

I'd personally not a fan of the 2.0 Turbo engine whatsoever - it has potential for big power, but in standardish form I find it as dull as dishwater and totally out of sorts with the 205 ethos. Others may disagree, but again, there's lots of topics comparing the 2.0 Turbo engine against the usual 16 NA options.

As has been pointed out though, suspension and brakes (and even more importantly, driver ability) are what makes quick laptimes on track, not masses of power.

so really the gti6 is somethink alot beter than the xsi and theres no sort of cheap way around it.thank you for your input its much appreciated

Paul_13

Use 1.9 gti hubs, never had exprience with adjustable top mounts so couldn't tell ya.

1.9 gti hubs will fit straight on aslong as you using 205/309 1.9 gti driveshafts (which I guess you do as your running 6' hubs)

Miles

Having done allot of them all I would say my preferance is

1.9 Mi 16

2.0 S16

1.9 8V TT

8v Standard or tuned

2.0 GTi6

2.0 8v Turbo

I know the GTi6 is the in thing at the moment but it just miss's the mark in my book, Yes it goes well etc but spend some good money on a Mi and bin the std ECU and you'll have a car that's spot on.

Simes
Having done allot of them all I would say my preferance is

1.9 Mi 16

2.0 S16

1.9 8V TT

8v Standard or tuned

2.0 GTi6

2.0 8v Turbo

I know the GTi6 is the in thing at the moment but it just miss's the mark in my book, Yes it goes well etc but spend some good money on a Mi and bin the std ECU and you'll have a car that's spot on.

:)

Sign in to follow this