• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sub205

Guess What ...

sub205

the leds are controlled by pulsewidth-modulation.

Group buy anyone? :unsure:

Very cool looking, nice to see someone doing something totally different

my next dash will be buyable ;-) but thats more a computer than a simple dash, also depending on a megasquirt 2 for all variables that could be displayed.

maybe with gps and some other stuff.

ALEX
the leds are controlled by pulsewidth-modulation.

my next dash will be buyable ;-) but thats more a computer than a simple dash, also depending on a megasquirt 2 for all variables that could be displayed.

maybe with gps and some other stuff.

Don't forget to convert the Speedo to MPH though if your planning on selling it in the UK!

I'd be interested in one though at the right price.

Have you thought about starting up a business selling these for a whole range of classic cars. Ideal for those who want modern electronics in an Old Car.

Edited by ALEX

sub205
Don't forget to convert the Speedo to MPH though if your planning on selling it in the UK!

I'd be interested in one though at the right price.

Have you thought about starting up a business selling these for a whole range of classic cars. Ideal for those who want modern electronics in an Old Car.

converting from mph to kmh is just changing a factor in the sourcecode, this can be done trough a jumper on the pcb or some kind of setup-menu on the lcd.

Emyr

I've just started a digi-dash project, but instead of using discrete components for the displays I'll be using an Arduino to feed the sensor data into a 7" eeePC Netbook...

th_IMG00247.jpgth_IMG00248.jpg

Do you have any information sources for the sensors' signals? I plan to do as little processing as possible on the arduino's chip (Amtel AVR ATMega 328) so I can update more frequently.

Edited by Emyr

omega

i love this thread

its in english in a foreign language!!!

dont no how to do any electrics but like the look of the electric dashboard

sub205
I've just started a digi-dash project, but instead of using discrete components for the displays I'll be using an Arduino to feed the sensor data into a 7" eeePC Netbook...

th_IMG00247.jpgth_IMG00248.jpg

Do you have any information sources for the sensors' signals? I plan to do as little processing as possible on the arduino's chip (Amtel AVR ATMega 328) so I can update more frequently.

the analog sensors can easily be adapted. you have to choose a bias resistor which you use to clamp the signal to 5 volts and use the sensor as a voltage divider. check the range of resistor values the sensor is giving you to get a good bias.

arduino is nothing more than an atmel with basic peripherals, yes. the c-like compiler output can be burnt into a regular atmel and works as expected.

right now microchip has the best chips, the new pic32 i'm currently evaluating is really great. also they sent samples to developers worldwide with no costs, so you can easily evaluate their products. i recently bought an pickit3, thats a great usb programmer/debugger with an evaluation board. its about 65€, really cheap.

i dont like atmel, their page sucks and they dont send samples. i originally started with pics because the documentation was much better and a german guy made the site "sprut.de" with really helpful documentation and tools. the only gain in atmel i see is that they are based on the 8051 design and this design is really really old, the motronic m1.3 is based around a derivate of this cpu.

nevermind, its not the tools you choose, its the product you make that defines your work. so keep on going! ;-)

i love this thread

its in english in a foreign language!!!

dont no how to do any electrics but like the look of the electric dashboard

and you are from nottingham, the first thing a foreign thinks about this is "robin hood" :-)

i want to start a kind of competition. everyone that wants can post a design of a dash that he thinks of.

i have elements like bargrafs (led-bars with up to 64 leds), a lcd and also simple leds.

the dash has about 30x10cm so it would be great if anyone with ideas paints it and posts the picture!

the values that i want to display are f.e.:

- fuel

- oilpressure

- oiltemp

- watertemp

- battery voltage

- air-fuel-ratio

- exhaust gas temperature

- inlet temperature

- outside temperature (especially in winters a great feature)

- rpm

- vehicle speed

- odo/trip counter

- direction lights

- stop/warning etc

so please post your ideas, maybe we'll built the best dash in the world! ;-)

i like the rev counter of the honda s-2000

many small steps, really nice.

sub205

just to show what i'm talking about, a quick schematic:

post-7625-1263199545_thumb.jpg

Edited by sub205

Emyr

This is the first electronics project I've done, so what attracted me to Arduino was the USB interface (great for programming and a convenient link to real computers) and the very shallow learning curve (especially since I did some C and C++ and a lot of Java at University).

I think if doing this kinda thing professionally pays more than what I can get doing webdev or desktop dev then I'll definitely consider learning PIC.

Just made a function for drawing circular gauges, so I think the next step will probably be replacing the light resistor and TMP36 on my breadboard with real sensors. I've studied the Haynes diagrams a bit, but I guess normal mechanics don't really need to know what the signals are!

welshpug

yes they do Emyr, we need to know what's happening (or should be at least!) when something doesn't behave :wub:

sub205
This is the first electronics project I've done, so what attracted me to Arduino was the USB interface (great for programming and a convenient link to real computers) and the very shallow learning curve (especially since I did some C and C++ and a lot of Java at University).

I think if doing this kinda thing professionally pays more than what I can get doing webdev or desktop dev then I'll definitely consider learning PIC.

Just made a function for drawing circular gauges, so I think the next step will probably be replacing the light resistor and TMP36 on my breadboard with real sensors. I've studied the Haynes diagrams a bit, but I guess normal mechanics don't really need to know what the signals are!

as i told, atmel or pic is just a question of religion. both manufacturers are nearly equal in most cases.

i like pic, others like atmel, ...

arduino is atmel.

i can flash you a pic18f4550 which also has usb and can be flashed via pc. needs only a 20mhz resonator and 2 switches (for bootloader entry)

my first attempts where with a 16f877 and a serial bootloader. i like them, they are quite fast and easily upgradable.

if you want to start with pics, order a pickit3! i love this thing, better than my previous custom built programmers.

you can measure out the sensor resistors yourself.

take a cup of ice-water (0°C) and measure resistance.

then take a water boiler (100°C) and measure.

the rest of the curve can be interpolated because its (nearly) linear.

sub205

be sure to check this video:

Emyr

th_IMG00250.jpg

As before, click for bigness. I noticed my phone's lens was raaather dirty, hence the sudden increase in clarity :doh: I've added an arc-dial and calculated scale markings on the vertical gauges.

This is the laptop I plan to make dash-mountable eventually.

The CPU usage was very high for these 4 indicators with a 1hz update speed, but I think that's because I should have pre-calculated the font information and item locations instead of redoing all the maths on each refresh. This is a 633MHz Celeron, so a newer netbook would definitely find it easy, although the smallest screens generally available on netbooks with are 9", which would be a bit tall for most dashboards.

I think I might now be a fan of EEVBlog!

sub205
The CPU usage was very high for these 4 indicators with a 1hz update speed, but I think that's because I should have pre-calculated the font information and item locations instead of redoing all the maths on each refresh. This is a 633MHz Celeron, so a newer netbook would definitely find it easy, although the smallest screens generally available on netbooks with are 9", which would be a bit tall for most dashboards.

I think I might now be a fan of EEVBlog!

eevblog is cool, found it 2 weeks ago or so ... funny guy :lol:

looks good what you do, i thought about something like that, too.

but i see 2 problems with a dash built like that:

- boot time, i dont want to wait 20-40 seconds until i see what my car is doing

- size, its complicated/nearly impossible to fit it behind the steering wheel

i want to build a dash that fits in the normal mountings and has much more information and a modern, fresh look.

Emyr
- boot time, i dont want to wait 20-40 seconds until i see what my car is doing

- size, its complicated/nearly impossible to fit it behind the steering wheel

My car's a 306 DTurbo, so I have to wait for the glowplugs to heat up. If I installed a very lightweight Linux build, it should load very fast from the SSD (typically faster than normal spinny drives). Since it'll be a dedicated system, I can go without a "modern" environment like KDE or Gnome and go for the bare minimum. The Arduino's boot sequence is only a few seconds, so that shouldn't matter.

The up key on the netbook is broken and I don't use it much anymore so if I'm very happy with the result I can detach the screen and flip it so it's flat against the body (like a tablet PC).

sub205
My car's a 306 DTurbo, so I have to wait for the glowplugs to heat up. If I installed a very lightweight Linux build, it should load very fast from the SSD (typically faster than normal spinny drives). Since it'll be a dedicated system, I can go without a "modern" environment like KDE or Gnome and go for the bare minimum. The Arduino's boot sequence is only a few seconds, so that shouldn't matter.

The up key on the netbook is broken and I don't use it much anymore so if I'm very happy with the result I can detach the screen and flip it so it's flat against the body (like a tablet PC).

right. but normal diesels start without glowing, at least when they were driven the last 2 hours. :)

i'm also developing embedded linux systems, really great is the kontron pITX system, a 2.5" pc with intel atom and lcd flatpanel connector, sata and all stuff you need for a modern computer.

http://de.kontron.com/products/boards+and+...bc/pitx+25+sbc/

this is where my commercial work is based on (control and monitoring systems for solar plants)

welshpug

not a Peugeot mechanical diesel!

sub205
not a Peugeot mechanical diesel!

my fathers citroen xsara starts easily without preheating.

richsmells

I've just bought a Arduino Duemilanove because of this thread. I'm more interested in the networking side of things but should be fun, if a little geeky. :)

sub205
I've just bought a Arduino Duemilanove because of this thread. I'm more interested in the networking side of things but should be fun, if a little geeky. :D

networking is the next thing i'll try. wireshark and lots of coffee should do the trick ;-)

richsmells

I got the Ethernet shield and a 4x20 LCD with it. Having a bit of trouble getting it to accept DHCP but a bit more fiddling I should be up and running.

richsmells

double post! Doh!

Edited by richsmells