• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikey_p

Drivers Door

mikey_p

Hi all,

I've had a quick search on this and found nothing. My drivers side door won't open from either inside or out.

I have an Autowatch remote central lock/alarm/immobiliser which appears to be playing up a bit (recently it wouldn't open the passenger side door either, but I could with the key). However even the key won't open the driver side.

I've pulled the door card off and had a hunt around, but as the door doesn't open this is pretty difficult. The inside door handle seems to work correctly as it pulls the metal bar which pulls the hinge-thing (sorry, don't know the names for this kind of stuff). The door still won't open though.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated as I have no idea what I'm doing, and I was going to try and sell the car between Christmas and New Year, but can't sell a car with a locked drivers door.

kilauea

I've just been messing with my gf's civic door which has jammed shut too. I got it open by squirting a load of penetrating oil in the lock barrel and then twisting the key and pulling the latch at the same time. Eventually it opened.

As far as I can make out the barrel is seizing up due to moisture rusting it. It's probably got worse in the damp cold we've been having. Off out to squirt some oil into mine soon as preventative maintenance.

DrSarty

Sorry to hear about this. It's not usually this bad, as the door (either side) will open from the inside.

Obviously you need to get it open in the first place to begin working on it.

As you've managed to get the door card off (well done for that), you need to get to the latch mechanism from the inside with a screwdriver, and you should find one lever or tab sticking out that you can flick to at least release the door.

It would appear either the whole mechanism's knackered, or several of the operating rods have popped out of their locations.

It may help to get access, or at least some light in there, if you remove the lock barrel. Do this by flicking off the metal clip and pulling it out from the outside. There should be a rod attached between it and the latch mechanism.

The other option, is that your C/L motor has seized in the locked position. Try just unlocking it first by detaching that rod from the motor and moving it manually.

Keep us posted.

When you've fixed it, before reaasembly thoroughly oil all mechanisms, particularly the door handle itself, as they often seize, especially on the passenger side.

Edited by DrSarty

mikey_p

Steve you're a legend. Why didn't that come up in the search.

As I already had the door card off I just took some blind shots with the WD40 and worked that catch behind the door handle until it was springing back on its own followed by me nearly falling out of the door :D.

Thanks for everyone's prompt replys. Haven't used this forum for a while and forgotten how good it was.

DrSarty
Steve you're a legend. Why didn't that come up in the search.

Notice the search string above, i.e. "door+handle". That's how you do it.

Well done for fixing it. Would've been better if someone had videoed you nearly falling out. :)