• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tdr_1976

Single 40 Webber On A 205 Xs

tdr_1976

Has anyone done this upgrade and is it worth it?

I'm looking to do it to my XS, but where can I find the parts for it? The only 205's I've seen have twin 40's fitted, I need a single for road rally use.

swordfish210

Well it would be an upgrade over the standard Solex carb due to the larger choke sizes and it will be more tunable than the Solex so it will theoreticly give more power. I've never seen a manifold for a single but i'm sure you can get one made.

burr_2000

May i ask (just out of curiosity) why you can change your from your solex to a weber but not twin webers? Does the rules state a single carb. :)

tdr_1976

The RAC MSA Blue Book states that the total number of chokes, must not exceed the original number of chokes that was on the car from the factory.

Otherwise I'd be looking to run twin 40's......

Edited by tdr_1976

burr_2000

Ah ok,

Beleive it or not the original 205 xs that had the XY8 (80 bhp) engine up to E reg actually came standard with twin weber carbs then was replaced by the TU3 engine using twin solex carb (85 bhp).

allye

I'm not sure it would be worth your while. Manifold is like £200! You can tune the solex, also some people have fitted weber dgas (something like that) single carbs as they are rather large and used on old 2L ford engines!

tdr_1976

I have no idea what you can do to the Solex carb. I'm happy to try anything out with it, before I go down the route of researching and costing the Single 40 route!

Edited by tdr_1976

burr_2000

The solex tuning normally consists of drilling the jet bigger.

macaroni

I put a Weber 38DGAS on my old xs. The manifold needed changing slightly, as did the cable fitment, but nothing too serious.

It gave great power, but is very hard to get right as it is turned through 90degrees compared to the fitment on the Ford Essex V6. Hence the float chambers cause problems in cornering.

tdr_1976

How much difference does drilling the jet make then and are there any problems to look out for once done?

swordfish210

Depends on how big you drill the jet out to. You can probably take it all the way out to 2.00mm but the car would be overfulling horribly. The best thing about the Weber DCOE is there are many things to tune on it, whereas the Solex is a very basic carb and it's hard to get the best out of it, plus the standard manifold isn't the best design.