• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jamal

15" Gutmann Wheel Bolts

Jamal

Hi Everyone!

I was very lucky and managed to get a set of Gutmann 15" 7" wide alloys for pennies :rolleyes:

I have totally brushed them up(shot balsted and powder coated).

Just put on with the standard alloy bolts, and ralised that the bolts thread is short, only the first 4mm holds the wheel.

DSC02863_132321.JPG

Has anyone meet this problem?

welshpug

from what I can see of the bolt hole shouldn't they be using a tapered bolt?

Jamal
from what I can see of the bolt hole shouldn't they be using a tapered bolt?

Nope, the previous owner used them with tapered bolts. I can say it has to be used with washer bolt??? :rolleyes:

Luckily it has got enough surface left for the "I don't know the name" washer bolts. And I never saw OE alloys with tapered bolts. I heard that taperd bolts kill the alloys, and looses all the time unless the wheels bolt surface is indurated.

welshpug

Most cars use a tapered bolt on alloy wheels, as do aftermarket wheels in my experience, the flat washer bolt is fairly unique to Peugeot.

Jamal
Most cars use a tapered bolt on alloy wheels, as do aftermarket wheels in my experience, the flat washer bolt is fairly unique to Peugeot.

Ah ok. But isn't it safer than the tapered monuting?

Jamal

The manufacturer of the alloys is EXIP.

I found some id numbers: K441 and 1573 7

Maybe it helps.

pug_ham

I'm also fairly sure these should have tapered bolts holding them on.

Have a look at the seat in the holes & compare it to those on the standard 205 alloys (if you can) or take a picture & post it on here.

Graham.

Jamal
I'm also fairly sure these should have tapered bolts holding them on.

Have a look at the seat in the holes & compare it to those on the standard 205 alloys (if you can) or take a picture & post it on here.

Graham.

The seats has got a little tapered shape due to the use of tapered bolts, but it remained flat in the outer side. The std bolts with washers fits perfectly.

I found a little company, they can make longer bolts with washers. What do You advise? What kind of bolts should I use? I heard a lot of about the re-loosing tapered bolts on alloys...

Edited by Jamal

pug_ham

IIRC Henry Yorke used to have a set of these wheels on his CTI before he changed them for the PTS Speedline SL434's.

I'll try to aim him in this direction to say what bolts / nuts he used.

Can you get a decent picture of the seats & I'll take one of the Rota's I have that are for use with taper nuts / bolts.

My taper seats nuts have never worked use on my car & they are only used on trackdays.

I've only ever heard of taper seat nut / bolts working loose on painted rims that didn't have the paint cleaned off under where they seat.

Graham.

Jamal
IIRC Henry Yorke used to have a set of these wheels on his CTI before he changed them for the PTS Speedline SL434's.

I'll try to aim him in this direction to say what bolts / nuts he used.

Can you get a decent picture of the seats & I'll take one of the Rota's I have that are for use with taper nuts / bolts.

My taper seats nuts have never worked use on my car & they are only used on trackdays.

I've only ever heard of taper seat nut / bolts working loose on painted rims that didn't have the paint cleaned off under where they seat.

Graham.

Here are some pics about the seats:

post-13402-1261989889_thumb.jpg

post-13402-1261989898_thumb.jpg

post-13402-1261989930_thumb.jpg

Henry Yorke

They are Exip wheels, the later style which used to come with the polished rim. You need 60 degree taper bolts for these, like those found on any standard Peugeot / Citroen steel wheel. I would not use the standard flat washer bolts on these as they will be dangerous. The taper is a much better design as it helps pull the wheels more central (I ran a non hubcentric 10mm spacer with a tapered stud conversion kit and no wheel wobble). They also have a greater surface area to contact with, and as has been said, the paint will be ruined with the standard washer bolt.

Hope this helps!

Jamal
They are Exip wheels, the later style which used to come with the polished rim. You need 60 degree taper bolts for these, like those found on any standard Peugeot / Citroen steel wheel. I would not use the standard flat washer bolts on these as they will be dangerous. The taper is a much better design as it helps pull the wheels more central (I ran a non hubcentric 10mm spacer with a tapered stud conversion kit and no wheel wobble). They also have a greater surface area to contact with, and as has been said, the paint will be ruined with the standard washer bolt.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks!

So just have to search my room for 16 tapered bolts B)

Why the std washer bolts dangerous?

Tried the washer bolts, just fit in the holes exactly.

Just thinking, I will use tapered ones! :)

Will fit the normal length bolts?

pug_ham
Why the std washer bolts dangerous?

Tried the washer bolts, just fit in the holes exactly.

They might fit the holes exactly but the contact area isn't what the wheels were designed / built to use so extra stress is put on the wheel & bolts making them unsafe.

Just thinking, I will use tapered ones! B)

Will fit the normal length bolts?

They should if you don't have any spacers fitted but push one through a bolt hole to see how much sticks through & compare it to the flat face bolts on a standard alloy.

Graham.

Jamal
They should if you don't have any spacers fitted but push one through a bolt hole to see how much sticks through & compare it to the flat face bolts on a standard alloy.

Graham.

Will measure it. Maybe my steel winter tyre will be good for it, because the bolts just pass through the holes on the hub.

I think 1-1,2 cm will be absolutely fine.

Baz

They look much the same as Compomotive wheel bolt seats, they will take either, but will be better with the proper tapered bolts.