• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Vz_ace

406 Coupe Brembos On To 205 1.9 Gti Hubs

Vz_ace

Hello,guys!

I have few questions abut brake upgrade (especially-the look;) and I would prefer the answers of those ones, who have already done that;)

i've searched the forum, but anyway-because i'm not shore:

-what all together do i need to do for a complete conversion from orig. 1.9 gti brakes to 406 coupe 4-pot brembos (rims are orig. 15" speedlines) ?

-the car is entertainment car and driven only on "sunny and dry sundays":lol:. Would i necessarily need bigger master cylinder? Which one do you reccomend? from 406?

thanks,

Vladimir

welshpug

288 x 28mm Xantia/C5 discs, 406 Brembo calipers, solid brake pipe extensions to connect to standard hoses or longer hoses with a banjo fitting, Miles can do the longer hose I believe.

As for fitting under the 15" speedline you would need about a 20mm spacer, so not ideal at all.

406 Ouragan I think needs 10mm, Goliath runs 20mm under 206 Ouragans.

306 BTCC Speedline Magnesium 1508 15x7" wheels will fit without any spacer but are very close (we chose to use a 3mm spacer), also very rare and expensive.

They work just fine with a 23.8mm master cylinder, wouldn't like to comment if they'd work with 20.6mm but the surface area isn't any greater than a gti6 piston, unsure what Goliath runs here actually, it may be the standard 20.6mm item.

Edited by welshpug

Vz_ace

so, the xantia discs and brembos fit straight on? then i only need spacers for rims? where 23.8 master cylinder come from and if it fits straight on?

thank you.

cybernck

Hilgie had to mill 1.25mm off the disc's inner face (IIRC) to make it centered perfectly, but I don't think everyone does this.

Or you could use 283x26 discs off 307s and a 1mm spacer for the brake pads on each side (as the calipers were made for 28mm wide discs).

23.8mm m/c is found on 306 GTI / Xsara VTS and faster 406s.

Just make sure it's a pre-1998 one and it will fit straight on (post-1998 ones have a different bolt pattern and you'd need the servo too).

ABS m/c's have two ports/outputs, whereas non-ABS have 4.

dcc

Unless you have already bought the brembo's, then dont bother. a good set of new disks and pads would be just as good for you in my opinion. Maybe look at gti6 calipers.

Sam

Brembo's are a fair amount lighter than the GTi6 calipers.

I used 283x26mm discs and had no issues after about a years use. Everyone says the 26mm discs are a problem but mine were ok in reality.

Cloverleaf
Brembo's are a fair amount lighter than the GTi6 calipers.

I used 283x26mm discs and had no issues after about a years use. Everyone says the 26mm discs are a problem but mine were ok in reality.

Agreed, and the Brembo's have huge potential. I've got the 26mm discs on mine too, I can't ever see it being a problem unless your discs and pads are both seriously worn and even then it might be OK.

welshpug

the brembo caliper may well be lighter (by 2 kilos) but the disk weighs 2 kilos more, and its rotating weight which is worse for acceleration.

Vz_ace

So, finally-4-pot brembos are at home and waiting for installation. I have been checking several forums for some information about installation and at the moment i,m a litttlebit confused.

here is a CP from some other forum:

"Discs And Pads

the standard 406 pads are fine but the discs will not work on your saxo as it will bring the caliper bolts out of line with the strut. generally pug 307 and 206 gti180 283mm discs are the soloution but you will have the ending result of a very loud squeel when braking which can become really annoying!

anyway i looked into this problem by searching the 306 gti6 forum as it was more of a comman upgrade over there and come out with this info..

the discs required are from a xantia v6 and have proved a solution to the problem. i have recieved my set of these but have yet to fit them and see for myself.

anyway this was the main reason for the thread here is the discs and place to get them

Website - http://www.buypartsby.co.uk

Model - Xantia 3.0 v6

Part No - SBG2690

thats about it really. if ive missed anything or theres anything you want too add please do so....

cheers "

now-what discs are the best to be used? Thanks for any help.

Edited by Vz_ace

welshpug

The Xantia/c5 discs are the ones to use, 288 x 28mm like I said above.

Vz_ace
The Xantia/c5 discs are the ones to use, 288 x 28mm like I said above.

welshpug, you've got a PM;)

Cloverleaf
"Discs And Pads

the standard 406 pads are fine but the discs will not work on your saxo as it will bring the caliper bolts out of line with the strut. generally pug 307 and 206 gti180 283mm discs are the soloution but you will have the ending result of a very loud squeel when braking which can become really annoying!

anyway i looked into this problem by searching the 306 gti6 forum as it was more of a comman upgrade over there and come out with this info..

the discs required are from a xantia v6 and have proved a solution to the problem. i have recieved my set of these but have yet to fit them and see for myself.

anyway this was the main reason for the thread here is the discs and place to get them

Website - http://www.buypartsby.co.uk

Model - Xantia 3.0 v6

Part No - SBG2690

thats about it really. if ive missed anything or theres anything you want too add please do so....

cheers "

I can't see how the 26mm discs are any worse for squeal than the 28mm ones. The pad position in the caliper will be the same for the 28mm discs when the pads are worn a mm further than on the 26mm discs.

welshpug

yep, but they'll invariably squeal anyway!

i dont quite get why people use the 283mm discs, the pads on the 288 disc fit perfectly, the 283mm hang over the side.

Hilgie

Just digging up an old thread here.

I have changed the hubs on the CTi from 1.9GTi hubs to 306GTi hubs and for these I don't need to mill anything off. So the offset of the old 1.9hubs must have been different.