• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
superted

205 Fuel Pump Issues

superted

Hi all,

New to forum and I have a little bit of an issue with the fuel pump on my 205, did a search but came up with no leads so maybe somebody can help?

Basically I put a put a new engine in a couple of months ago and now have all connected up, apart from air-box, AFM etc, so far I just want to get the thing firing.

The engine turns over really well but initially there was no sound from the fuel pump (original engine was removed a year ago so pump not been in action for 12 months) then after several attempts the pump sprang to life and hey presto I have fuel in the rail.

Car fires first time, only problem now is that the pump appears to engage when it feels like it, you can crank the engine, no fire, then try again and the fuel pump engages, but the sound form the pump is a pretty pathetic whine, which leads me to think that maybe it's not getting near enough of the 12v it requires. Battery has been charged so issues there.

I bought the engine with the fuel rail connected and it is fitted with an FSE power boost valve, could this be causing an issue? Also, I could check the fuel pump relay, so any advise on where it is located would be most welcome.

The only thing I have not checked so far is the voltage at the connector end at the fuel pump, this will be next.

I tend to think that the pump is ok as all was good pior to engine removal and when I tried on Saturday the pump sounded alive and healthy.

Appreciate any advise.

Cheers

Paul_13

Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me, Kyepan and me have had the same problem in the past.

You nearly run the battery flat trying to get her fired up and just when your about to give up, Hey Presto! It's working again.

I thinks it's the return valve which maintains the pressure in the lines failing.

Galifrey
Hi all,

New to forum and I have a little bit of an issue with the fuel pump on my 205, did a search but came up with no leads so maybe somebody can help?

Basically I put a put a new engine in a couple of months ago and now have all connected up, apart from air-box, AFM etc, so far I just want to get the thing firing.

The engine turns over really well but initially there was no sound from the fuel pump (original engine was removed a year ago so pump not been in action for 12 months) then after several attempts the pump sprang to life and hey presto I have fuel in the rail.

Car fires first time, only problem now is that the pump appears to engage when it feels like it, you can crank the engine, no fire, then try again and the fuel pump engages, but the sound form the pump is a pretty pathetic whine, which leads me to think that maybe it's not getting near enough of the 12v it requires. Battery has been charged so issues there.

I bought the engine with the fuel rail connected and it is fitted with an FSE power boost valve, could this be causing an issue? Also, I could check the fuel pump relay, so any advise on where it is located would be most welcome.

The only thing I have not checked so far is the voltage at the connector end at the fuel pump, this will be next.

I tend to think that the pump is ok as all was good pior to engine removal and when I tried on Saturday the pump sounded alive and healthy.

Appreciate any advise.

Cheers

The fuel pump will run depending on the pressure requirements of the fuel rail, it cuts off once the rail has sufficient pressure. If you are carnking the engine it may be running to top off the pressure and you cannot hear it.

However, it could be your tachymetric relay is faulty (this detects rpm and signals the fuel pump).

FSE pressure regulator (for that is all it is) could be faulty, but to test this you will need to check the fuel rail for pressure, and it could still be something else causing the issue. A good Fuel Injection centre can do this, however, with a non-starting car, you will need someone to come out to you to test it.

If you believe low voltage is an issue, first check should be earthing points for the fuel pump.

superted
The fuel pump will run depending on the pressure requirements of the fuel rail, it cuts off once the rail has sufficient pressure. If you are carnking the engine it may be running to top off the pressure and you cannot hear it.

However, it could be your tachymetric relay is faulty (this detects rpm and signals the fuel pump).

FSE pressure regulator (for that is all it is) could be faulty, but to test this you will need to check the fuel rail for pressure, and it could still be something else causing the issue. A good Fuel Injection centre can do this, however, with a non-starting car, you will need someone to come out to you to test it.

If you believe low voltage is an issue, first check should be earthing points for the fuel pump.

Hi and thanks for the comments/advice, obviously need to do a bit more work.

You say it could be the tachymetric relay, is that the unit which is fixed onto the ECU under the dash? If so I have just replaced it for a known good unit, if it's not could you advise where to look?

Many thanks

woo83

just a thought maybe the fuel pump had seized. this happened to mine (although mine was of the road a lot longer). first time i tried it there was no noise and then slowly it kicked in but with a very weak noise like yours, i took the actual pump apart and theres a ring with 4 rollers in it witch are suppost to be smooth and mine were all pitted up causing there to be no seal and so no pressure it would fill the fuel rail but not at any real pressure.

i dont know if this is of any real help but i thought id mention it just in case.

Edited by woo83

superted
just a thought maybe the fuel pump had seized. this happened to mine (although mine was of the road a lot longer). first time i tried it there was no noise and then slowly it kicked in but with a very weak noise like yours, i took the actual pump apart and theres a ring with 4 rollers in it witch are suppost to be smooth and mine were all pitted up causing there to be no seal and so no pressure it would fill the fuel rail but not at any real pressure.

i dont know if this is of any real help but i thought id mention it just in case.

Thats pretty much what has happened, initially there was nothing, then after several attempts it really got going, nice pressure to the rail (I know as fuel spurted everywhere from a split hose, corrected now) she fired and I thought great. Then it fizzed a little yesterday and I managed to start her, albeit briefly, now nothing.

Could this be down to the fact that it has been off the road? She has been before a couple of years ago, but after that everything was good apart form the erratic tick over on cold start.

So it could be the pump which will be a bit of a bu***r after all the work so far, hey ho!

Thanks again, everybody has been extremely helpful.

Cheers

MerlinGTI

I would check with the pump is getting 12v @ multiplug the pump plugs into, wiring on 205's is old and ... erm french! :)

I would also buy a gauge for the FSE so I could monitor the pressure. Im told these FSE things are notorious for 'adjusting' themselves anyway, so you will need it in the long run for tweaking purposes :lol: If I dont mis-understand (I havent played with a FSE yet) this should tell you two things 1) if the fuel is getting to the correct pressure at all (2.5 bar the OE unit is IIRC) 2) if the fuel rail is holding that pressure.

And the tachy relay as already mentioned by Galifrey

EDIT: of course you could just swap out the FSE for a standard Item for testing purposes. Its one less thing to have to elimanate. Cheaper than buying the guage but not as 'man-gadgety' :D

Edited by MerlinGTI

Baz

Defo check Tachy relay straight away, easies first port of call!

superted
Defo check Tachy relay straight away, easies first port of call!

Hi,

Thanks for feed back.

I metioned asked previously is this the connector found attcahed alongside the ECU, i'm guessing it is?

Cheers

Sign in to follow this