• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Re-jetting A Solex

allye

Hi,

I know you can get a bigger jet for my solex Z2 but not sure what size or where from!?

Also I adjusted my clutch yesturday as it was sloppy and slipping when giving it a flying start before. Now I have tightened it seems to be stiff and biting just as high?

I replaced the clutch 6 months ago.

Thanks a lot, Ali

Toddy

If its for the tu3s engine (xs) then it is replacing the secondary 130 jet for a 140 or simply drilling out with a 1.4mm drill bit, made a difference to mine as it had a ported head, unsure whether its beneficial on a std engine.

allye

Its for my rallye, an iron block engine, it actually a SPI engine. Standard engine though.

trogboy

Am I missing something? SPI = single point injection so you wouldn't actually have a carb.

I wonder if you are refering to the fact that the carb on the standard setup just has a single twin barrel carb (Solex Z2-S2)

allye

Sorry for not being clear! It is a SPI block (a very low milage one) that i replaced the knackered standard block with, I put the solex and inlet manidolf on the SPI engine!

RossD

Has it got the XS head and cam or the SPI stuff - They are different.

allye

the SPI head and cam, SPI engine and original Rallye engine had the same power so you would assume they are the same head and cam. I would of loved an XS head/cam/engine but as you guys know they are not many knocking about!

So does any one know where i can buy bigger jets?

Or is drilling it out with a 1.4mm drill bit ok?

Its a cheap mod and I rebuilt the carb so i know my way around it.

Thanks, Ali

swordfish210

I'd go for a 1.25mm drill bit, 1.4 would make it bog down a bit and chew fuel.

allye

So you would suggest drilling it then? Did you XT come with one or did it already have the bike carbs on it?

swordfish210

The XT was completly standard when i bought it, i've done it all myself :rolleyes: . I think the standard jet is about 1.15mm so if you take it out to 1.40mm you will have nearly increased the fuel flow by 50%! Too much methinks. Try the 1.25mm, it should be a good comprmise.

johnnyboy666

the K&N for the solex carb used to come with a bigger jet. not sure if they still make them tho.

swordfish210
the K&N for the solex carb used to come with a bigger jet. not sure if they still make them tho.

The K&N jet is 1.22mm, hard to find a 1.22mm drill bit though.

allye

nice, will buy a 1.25mm bit and drill out the jet some time this week and see if it makes a difference!

calvinhorse

what would you drill the jet out to on a xs head vtr bottom end jobby? bigger still?

M_R_205

In regards to your clutch, by adjusting the cable all you are doing is adjusting the pedal height, if the clutch is slipping you need to fit a new one im afraid

Paul

calvinhorse

can anyone tell me where to find the main jet? do i need to split the carb in half?

Jrod
can anyone tell me where to find the main jet? do i need to split the carb in half?

Yes, remove the top half.

In the middle youll see 2 brass flat screw heads. Remove these (they are the emulsion tubes) Now you need a thin flat head screwdriver as the jets sit under these which is quite far down into the carb. Once unscrewed a cocktail stick pushed into them will pull them out. Don't mix them up!

calvinhorse

cheers jrod! and they both need drilling?

Jrod

I wouldnt drill them myself, I'd hunt for someone that can supply them.

If you pull them out they should have numbers stamped on, only the bigger one needs replacing/drilling.

swordfish210
I wouldnt drill them myself, I'd hunt for someone that can supply them.

Why not, it's hardly difficult.

Jrod

Unless you have a spare theres no going back.

swordfish210

Do it properly the first time then. I drilled loads of jets while i was setting up my bike carbs and never had a problem. The materials so soft you could probably wind the drill bit through by hand.

calvinhorse

i have a very excellent engineer doing it for me.

so only drill the bigger of the two jets? one is marked 120 the other 130.

RP1983
Do it properly the first time then. I drilled loads of jets while i was setting up my bike carbs and never had a problem. The materials so soft you could probably wind the drill bit through by hand.

Funny you say that as I have been told with my bike carbs to clamp the drill bit in a vice and wind the jet onto it. Apparently this way you run less risk of the hole ending bigger than intended due to drill chuck movement etc.

trogboy

I think I'd be tempted to make sure I had a spare first too 'cos if you drill the jet and find it's worse you've got no option but to live with it until you can source another jet.

Ad