• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CTI STU

1.9 Into My 1.4 Xt?

CTI STU

Ive hopfully been given a 1.9 gti engine, no wiring or gearbox though, would it be a simple job to put it in my 1.4 XT if I use carbs?

dcc

you will need new gearbox, shafts and possibly hubs. then you need to change the cooling setup to suit the xu lump. then you need to change to a gti exhaust. Personally I would spend the money on going for the 16v tu lump, but hey, do what you want.

swordfish210

In a word no, it's not exactly an easy conversion. You'll need a GTI subframe and suspension as well for the gear linkage and to stop it handling like a frozen turd on an ice rink.

danpug

Depending on the year of your car you would possibly need to change the mounting point on the left hand side of the engine bay. If you are going the effort of changing to xu i'd personally go for an mi16 or gti6 instead, or like others have said have a look into a tu16v conversion or even a 1.6tu, they go very well in a 205..

Anthony

Wiring is straightforward - you can probably adapt the existing wiring easily enough.

You'll need a BE gearbox (can't use the MA one) and some 1.6/diesel driveshafts to match the existing hubs.

You'll need to swap the subframe either for a diesel/CTi one (keeping current TCA setup) or a GTi one (for GTi wishbones). If the later, you'll need different struts, brakelines, and to mod the shell to move the brake pipe hanger (as it fouls the droplink)

Upper engine mount should be fine as it's a later car, and gearbox mount is fine.

However, I can't help but think that you've somewhat missed the point of a 205 XS/XT. The whole joy of them is that lightweight revvy engine and the lightness in the nose and the turn-in and joyous handling that brings. While an alloy XU isn't heavy by any means, I've yet to drive a single GTi that feels as light and nimble as my 205 XS did - I've not driven an XT, but to all intents and purposes it is basically a Phase 2 XS from what I know.

On a slight tangent, it absolutely baffles me why people seek out UK spec 205 Rallyes and ignore the XS/XT, when one is exactly what a Rallye should be - light, frantic and fun - and the other is frankly a badging exercise with a dull (comparitively) heavy engine and a dull gearbox.

welshpug

uk Rallye is just a re-badged XT anyway, so I agree with Anthony, keep it TU :)

Anthony
uk Rallye is just a re-badged XT anyway, so I agree with Anthony, keep it TU :P

UK 205 Rallye is based on the XR isn't it, rather than the XT?

welshpug

might be, I know its not the XS.

CTI STU

engine is staying as it is then

Jrod
shhhh!! keep the XS a secret!!

Too late for that, they are nearly all gone! The 5 I've scrapped really didn't help their numbers... :lol: