• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Odd Rust, Need To Sort It!

allye

Hi, I'v got some deep rust, its about the only rust on the entire car. I have been meaning to treat it for months. I think its where a channel was blocked, that i have now unblocked.

From the outside

IMGP0038.jpg

From the inside

IMGP0039.jpg

I assume I'm going to need to take the window out. Which way is best to treat this? Am I going to need to use filler?

Also where is the best place to get colour match paint/touch up pen?

Thanks a lot, Ali

jimistdt

Looks like the window will have to come out to get at it proplerly. I can't help you on that side of things (I'm crap at it!), but I do know that Peugeot do the touch-up paint and a brush on lacquer for small areas like that.

I got mine from PEUGEOTPARTS , they are listed by Paint code, so if you know that, jobs a good un.

You'd do better to ring the number on the site, as the site itself is a little antiquated.

allye

Great thanks! gave them a try put they can't send paint in the post!?

I'll go to my local Peugeot for the colour match paint I think, I have a can of laquer knocking about I can use, still unsure if I should just rub it all down, primer spray and laquer though? Do I need to treat it at all!?

Thanks, Ali

DamirGTI

.. remove rear trim panels and take a look at this area from the inside - i.e. trough B-pillar , as both of my 205's had rust spots on this particular area .. but only from the inside not outside .. so id say this rust on this spec. area is coming from the inside out :D

Damir :D

allye

Thats not good!

how did you treat it?

Also how do you take the windonout!?

Thank, Ali

jimistdt

A few people on here recommend KURUST, I've used it myself, so far no rust has come back through.

DamirGTI

Yes :( rust converter ..

Anyway , first job will be removing the window out (this one is fixed frame as far as i can see right ?) then inspect the surface by grinding the top layer of rust with medium wire brush attachment on an angle grinder .. afterwards you'll need to decide if the rust has gone all the way trough the metal , i.e. if theres a hole , then the best thing will be to cut the affected metal out and re-weld fresh piece of sheet steal inside .. or if it's small diameter hole you can simply fill it up with weld (but you'll need to grind off all specks of rust around the hole first as the weld wont stick properly on rusted surface ..)

If it's just surface rust without holes trough the metal , then remove off as much of the rust spots as you can either with the aid of chemicals (phosphoric acid) or mechanically by grinding it off .. or both (myself i prefer both - chemicals and grinding stuff) .. if decided to use chemicals (liquid phosphoric acid , or jenolite which is basically phosphoric acid in form of jelly ..) follow the instructions on the product and wear skin/eye protections ! .. almost all of this phosphoric acid products needs to be neutralized and washed off the metal (with warm soapy water or water/sodium mixture) before you attempt painting the metal as if the layer of phosphate isn't removed the paint wont stick to the surface properly (the acid left from underneath the paint will eventually lift the paint off after some time)

After you've removed/treated all the major rust spots/specks , clean the surface and apply rust converter on all bare metal areas from where you've previously removed rust (regarding the rust converter , try to buy good un , stick with known brands like Loctite , Wurth , Dinitrol etc. and be prepared for a little bit higher cost per same size of the package of less quality product brand !) .. again follow the instructions on the product about application/drying time , and after the chemical reaction is finished you can paint straight on top of the rust converter layer ... as it acts as a primer ..

Do the same with the inside area trough the B-pillar , if you spot rust there as well (i bet you will !)

Damir ;)

omega

if its a opening window undo the philps screws and the window drops out

if not put your feet against it and push and it will pop out

allye

nice one thanks Damir, just to clear up the only thing I have to do to get the window out is to push it out with my feet!?

If i need to cut it out and weld it or if its just surface I am going to need to use filler right? To may it smooth, what brand/product is best!?

Thanks, Ali

DamirGTI

Well i dunno precise procedure on this type of fixed frame 205 rear window :( you might need to remove the outer frame first or something , but basically , as said you can remove all of this glass stuff by levering the glass out from the corner (though some of the outer rubber seals has "filler strip" which needs to be removed first) , secure the glass from the outside with gaffa tape (tape it over so that it doesn't fall off ..) and press on the glass from the inside corner out with your leg .. but be carefully !

Yes , if needed , if the affected surface is visible you can use filler to bring the shape back ;) but i wouldn't use filler on metal which was previously cleaned off the rust .. just on sound , fresh metal .. as for the type/brand , nothing special really just ordinary body filler , mix up the right amount of filler/hardener , rough/scratch up the surface a bit so that the filler has something to stick into , and thats it ..

Damir ;)

allye

Nice one thanks, you have been a great help! I'v been meaning to do sinse I got it in march but have been doing other stuff to the car, now I think I need to do it before winter sets in!

Thanks again, Ali