• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rolando

Converting From Drum To Disc Brakes

Rolando

i've done a search but havent really found what i'm looking for.

i've got a 1.6 gti on a G plate with the single brake line to the back then split off to the drums but i want to convert it to disc.

instead of chaning the whole axle, i was going to change the stub axle, hub etc. i've got a 309 gti axle and a gti 6 axle but which would be better to change to? i was thinking the gti6 as its easier to get discs for (can use 106/saxo discs) the disc offset between the 309 and 306 are different?

please correct me if i'm wrong in any of that?

the next bit is the brake pipes. i've read some say its best to have 2 lines going to the back with the inline compensator's and then some argue that the "current" drum set up is fine?

i dont want to fit an after market bias valve.

any help would be great thanks

Baz

You can swap them sure, ABS discs are different to non ABS (205/309) discs you're correct.

You can leave the lines as they are and use the existing single compensator, just adding the extra brake flexi's where needed.

Rolando

ahh cool, think i'll use the gti6 set up as it'l be easier to get upgraded dics/pads.

so is that deff ok to do that with the brake pipes? dont need to run a second line? just not keen on the back locking up.

cheers

jord294

rear drum brakes are more efficient than disc brakes :)

kyepan

I guess the best question is what you're expecting out of the conversion.

if it's better looking through the rear wheels, then knock your self out, i hate the look of the drums and have hidden them under steelies.

If its better braking bias i'm not sure if they will work better with a bias valve or not.

I've put big stoppers on the front, and this is like hitting a preverbal wall, so better brakes are available with less hassle than changing the stub axels and rear arms, or whatever you have to do to make the conversion work (assuming you have 1.9 hubs, as there are not many decent conversions for the 1/6 hubs, i had to change mine)

J

Tom Fenton

You can use rear discs with a single brake line to the rear of the car as per the original 1.6 brake line setup. My own car is like this. Personally I changed them I had the bits to hand, and drums require periodic adjustment, and I'm lazy.

Rolando

i was always under the impression discs brakes are better due to the amount of pressure there is in one place if that makes sence? like a paddle clutch so to speak?

i also have everything to hand which is another reason and i'm not to keen on the idea that with drum brakes if the cylinders leaking and you dont spot it and it goes all of a sudden you end up with no brakes? my mate had this happen on his 106xsi and it wasnt a pretty site after and thats always worried me.

cheers for the comment though

mr_exe
rear drum brakes are more efficient than disc brakes :)

Thats certainly my experience. Our 205 with drums at the back had better brake effiency that the 306 with discs according to the Mot brake rollers. There is also the small matter of Peugeot disc handbrakes being somewhat rubbish, so i'd stick with the drums and make sure they are in proper working order.

boombang

I've gone from rear discs to drums, mainly for the handbrake & due to nipple issues.

allye

I'm in the process of doing this to my rallye, I am doing it because drum brake are rubbish to work on, hard to set up and maintain! If drums were better all modern cars would have them on the rear!

I'm changing my beam for a 1.9 GTI one to get the bigger torsion bars.

Cheers, Ali

Rolando

think i'm going to go with disc's to be honest. thanks for all the info guys :P