• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Button & Hamilton

SurGie

I apologize if this topic has already been posted, i have searched.

What a team set up for Mclaren eh, two world champions in the same team. Could it be another ego fighting

problem again for Mclaren or a great dream team ?

Next years season looks to be one of the best and most interesting ever IMO, but could it be another Senna/Alain Prost, Nelson/Nigel Mansell

clash of rivals, or a great dream team.

I can foresee there being a few race problems, but not sure if there are going to be any clashing or ego problems.

I suppose we will have to wait and see what the future holds for the new team.

Cheers George ^_^

EDIT> Amended, cheers Baz :)

Edited by SurGie

pablo

Button will be handed his ass I believe.

BackStreetRacecars
Button will be handed his ass I believe.

tend to agree.... as soon as jensen steps out the brawn car he's gonna be back to his old ways....

hopefully mclaren will sort out the car this year maybe hamilton will have a chance again.

Baz

Alan Frost?

Did you mean Jack? Or was it David?

Probably Alain Prost though i presume... ^_^

dunc

Thought Button was class this year, but on Hamilton's turf it'll be a whole different ball game in my opinion.

Dunc.

kyepan

I guess it will be a question of whether the car that has been developed for the aggressive driving style of Hamilton will suite the super smooth style of button.

Saying that though, his race in Brazil was not only a supreme charge from 14th on the grid, but he made no mistakes.

If button has the hunger, we may see more out of him yet.

I like the fact that button is viewed as the underdog.. just makes it more interesting.

Roll on the first race, and let them do battle.

Batfink

they are carrying more fuel and will have to nurse their tyres. If button can get his car setup as he likes then he will be as fast as hamilton.

Problem is their driving styles are completely different. At 29 he has done well to get a top drive. I see him ending his career here if he has the pace. I doubt he will get another world championship though.

Miles

Worst move he could have made I think. But I'm sure the wage's would be a good help in the right direction

Galifrey

I think Button is underrated and may do better than expected next year, although Hamilton is better imho.

Going to be a good season.

Wallby

I think the Mclaren is designed around Hamilton and his aggressive driving style, so unless the car can be changed alot for Button, I cant see him being quick! Having said that, I hope Button is quick because he is a lot cooler than Hamilton! Although none of them will be able to keep up with Alsonso in his new red car!

Batfink

I am worried he will have to get rid of his beard....

I think its a great move for him. Mclaren are big enough to be able to develop a car setup for him as well as one for Hamilton.

He's got a WDC under his belt. What will his drive and focus be? Maybe trying to beat the best driver on the grid will give some fire in his belly.

This sets up his career nicely and probably is the first time he has had stability with a team that will always be able to compete for podiums in a season, and even championships. Look at Mclaren this year. They gained something like three seconds in performance. Thats massive and shows their capability to develop winning cars and redesign s*it ones.

I think he will gel with the team very well as him and his dad seem very genuine people. Hamilton is a little boring TV personality wise and reminds me of a mannequin and I cant see him 'having a laugh' with the mechanics, whereas I think Button will mould nicely with his team. Maybe he will inject some charisma the team needs without being a 'personality' like Alonso.

Apparently Nick Fry is saying the offer by Mclaren was worse than Brawn/Mercedes, so theres more to it than money.

Edited by Batfink

SurGie
I am worried he will have to get rid of his beard....

No doubt to get better aerodynamics :mellow:

With Brawn being part of Mclaren in next years season afaik, i think that Buttons car will be suited well for his driving style.

So "if" they both get perfect car set ups it could be a roller coasting season.

24seven

My money's on Hamilton for the 2010 title...

kyepan
With Brawn being part of Mclaren in next years season afaik, i think that Buttons car will be suited well for his driving style.

you might have the wrong end of the stick there mate.

mercedes bought 70% of brawn..

merclaren... erm i mean, McLaren are part owned by mercedes 40%.

but Brawn are not therefore... part of McLaren..... :)

*points fingers in opposing directions for effect.

dan_cole69

I think hamilton will probably do better next year as his head has now shrunk from the huge size it was from all the hype he got over the last years (explains why he was so slow in the begining!).

I know I will now get so jip for saying that ("how can you say that he is the best english driver ever bla bla bla") but its true.

As stated above at least Button comes across as a geniune type of guy and got a shot and grabbed by the horns. I respect him a lot more for that than anything else.

So just to conclude:

Hamilton has/had a huge head, the personallity of a wet towel

Button isn't brill but is at least normal and makes me want to grow a beard!

Can't wait till next year should be great

cheers dan

Edited by dan_cole69

dunc
I think hamilton will probably do better next year as his head has now shrunk from the huge size it was from all the hype he got over the last years (explains why he was so slow in the begining!).

Yup less weight in the car so more scope for adjusting ballast :)

Dunc.

notamondayfan

Button only won because of an amazing car, and of course Ross Brawn. They started developing the car in 2008, a long time before anyone else had started development, and they had an amazing amount of resources as it was Honda at the time.

I also believe Brawn were lucky with the double diffuser thing, if the decision had gone the other way then it would have been a Mclaren / Ferrari battle for the championship, not Brawn / Redbull.

Brawn were also lucky with kers. Not running it was the best choice in hindsight. I think that the kers thing this year was so badly done. Every team should have been made to run the device, and if they didnt they should have added balast as a kind of penalty, or the incentive to use kers should have been higher, say you can use the kers for 10 seconds instead of 6. And now they have dropped if for next year, talk about cost cutting?

I dont think Button is the best driver, not even in the top 3, and he fluffed up the last part of this season, just like what Hamilton did 2 years ago, and almost last year too. I dont think either of them are great champions, maybe Hamilton will mature and get better, he's got the speed, but not much else.

For next year my money's on Ferrari, mainly Massa, but Alonso is hungry too, and very fast. He out drove his Renault this year.

Dean

Rob Thomson

Button's a strange one, isn't he? Probably as fast as anyone in a car that he likes, but s*it in anything else. Conversely, I reckon Hamilton is always going to be one of the very fastest in anything you ask him to drive.

The two have very different driving styles. Given that there's not very much testing these days I wonder how much work McLaren will be able to do to develop two different cars...? Probably not very much, and they'll favour Hamilton if they have to chose one over the other.

The rule changes for next season add a little spice too. I reckon that Button's style will help prolong the life of his tyres, but how well will he cope with the changing handling of a car that carries 200kg of fuel at the start but bugger all at the end?

If I had to put money on it I'd go with Hamilton making Button look very, very average. But who really knows?

pablo

Hamilton went up in my estimation when he was qualifying during the year. He was putting in a good lap which would have been his last before time was up. There was an incident of some sort and he got held up, and unable to get a good lap.

Interviewed afterwards he was asked "Do you think you would have qualified better if you had finished that lap?" Most people would have bluffed a bit and made some murmurrings but hamilton plainly said "No, I wouldnt have. Im just not on the pace" (or something along those lines).

I should hate him (English, boring etc) but I like him, and would like to see him do well next season.

Batfink
Button only won because of an amazing car, and of course Ross Brawn. They started developing the car in 2008, a long time before anyone else had started development, and they had an amazing amount of resources as it was Honda at the time.

I also believe Brawn were lucky with the double diffuser thing, if the decision had gone the other way then it would have been a Mclaren / Ferrari battle for the championship, not Brawn / Redbull.

Brawn were also lucky with kers. Not running it was the best choice in hindsight. I think that the kers thing this year was so badly done. Every team should have been made to run the device, and if they didnt they should have added balast as a kind of penalty, or the incentive to use kers should have been higher, say you can use the kers for 10 seconds instead of 6. And now they have dropped if for next year, talk about cost cutting?

I dont think Button is the best driver, not even in the top 3, and he fluffed up the last part of this season, just like what Hamilton did 2 years ago, and almost last year too. I dont think either of them are great champions, maybe Hamilton will mature and get better, he's got the speed, but not much else.

For next year my money's on Ferrari, mainly Massa, but Alonso is hungry too, and very fast. He out drove his Renault this year.

Dean

The drivers champion virtually always has the best car. Button did at the start of the season and his consistant driving paid off when others like Vittel were falling off and making mistakes. They did not develop the chassis any more that season and big teams like Mclaren and Red Bull improved massively. The Brawn team could simply not keep up the development race. Button drove the best he could with what he had and it paid off.

Life is full of what ifs. Quite simply he and his team were better than everyone else where they needed to be. Look at the last few races on how he can race when it all clicks.

taylorspug

I dont think this year would have been a McLaren/Ferrari battle without the double diffusers. This years McLaren was terrible at the start of this year, diffuser or not. Plus Kimi didnt look vaguely interested in winning anything for Ferrari all year. Personally i think F1 is better off without him, it leaves a spot open on the grid for a drver who actually wants to be there. Button and Brawn pinpointed their chance to take the title and grabbed it with both hands, hence the early season run of success. By the time Barrichello realised what was going on he was playing catch up. Vettel was never really in the title race lets be honest, at Silverstone when he won it was all doom and gloom in the media for Button and Vettel was the 'golden boy', he was still twenty plus points adrift of Button! :lol:

Hamilton will be quicker than Button over a lap, but come race day I think Jenson will be able to push him along, as he will manage his tyres far better. Obviously they are both excellent drivers, but Buttons driving style is absolutely beautiful, hes so economic with his steering inputs and really does let the car do all its own work. Certainly next year this will be a big factor as everyone finds their feet with the long stint races.

Its good for Jenson to be in a 3 year contract too, it will give him stability in a team that he hasnt had for the last few seasons now. Good for McLaren too, i can see having an all British driver lineup being a real head turner for them, and will certainly make them a talking point, as well as focussing the entire countries collective support!

Simes
you might have the wrong end of the stick there mate.

mercedes bought 70% of brawn..

merclaren... erm i mean, McLaren are part owned by mercedes 40%.

but Brawn are not therefore... part of McLaren..... :lol:

*points fingers in opposing directions for effect.

Mclaren have actually bought back their 40% share from Daimler Benz so no longer have ties with Mercedes apart from using their engines until 2015.

Galifrey

I think a lot of people are underestimating Button based purely on his last half season this year.

After winning so many races and having such a massive lead, the pressure on him was to finish and score points, he didnt need to win any more races.

Once a drivers head gets into that state, they tend to change their driving style and priorities, and that is exactly what Button did. Lets ensure I finish, safe tactics, no risks let the people chasing me take all the risks while I nurse my car around and just score solid points.

I think you will see a different Button again in the new season. I think Hamilton is hungrier in general, and a better driver, but don't discount Button, a man who got the job done after a long period of just being a number.

SurGie

Well after today's race, which was a really good un, both these drivers had a very close call to becoming 1st it was quite exciting. Button tried then failed well done Hamilton keep it up.