• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danpug

Xu5/9 Inlet Onto 2.0 Turbo

jonnyturbo

wouldnt think it would be worth modifying the standard manifold from what people say about it,

pablo

been out fiddling today, the head would definately need opening a bit at the mouths to remove the step. Not sure how far you could safely go beyond that. Beyond my skills.

the TB I have (gti6 one) looks like a straight swap. there is no TPS on it but looks like the one from my manifold will bolt straight on. There are two outlets on the manifold so plumbing the dump valve, map sensor and boost gauge should be easy.

Whole thing looks very doable, might try it if I get the time. The pipe from the throttle body is roughly 3" however so would have to get creative with the intercooler piping but contemplating fitting a fmic anyway so might all work out ok!

All money tho....

danpug

Any chance of a pic of the xu10 gasket against the xu9 manifold? Or if you have an xu9 gasket handy then that against the xu10 head would be better?

pablo

dont have either gasket Im afraid mate :)

danpug

Worth a try! Thanks anyway.

sub205

xu9-gasket is a must!

i've done this to the 2.0 8v without turbo, same story:

bridge1.jpg

bridge2.jpg

throttle body adaption: (maybe different)

t1.jpg

t5.jpg

Edited by sub205

rapidcossie

what advantages are expected?

if going to this hassle why not just modify a 16v inlet?

sub205
what advantages are expected?

if going to this hassle why not just modify a 16v inlet?

16v inlet wont fit.

i think the xu9 inlet is less restrictive for turbo applications. look at the funny turbo inlet ... bad joke ;-)

anyway, i'm driving a good'ol sucker, can't tell what it'll do on a turbo.

pablo

is the biggest advantage not the bigger TB which is kind of lost if the original one is used.

I like it as its more gti looking though

danpug

For me it just looks better, i'm not of fan of how messy the 2.0t's can look, i know they can be improved but they just don't look as nice as an xu5/9 turbo! According to one of the foreign members old threads (can't remember who), the gti inlet and tb flows 17% better. If this is true then it can't be a bad thing. Thanks for the pics sub205, very helpful.

pablo

started my conversion today. good news is the manifold actually fits on. Im going to have to use the XU9 fuel rail though.

Will snap a couple of pics later but all looking good so far. No sure what Im going to do with the dipstick yet, or the oil filler bottle. Anyone got a pic of an XU9 to see where they attach?

Anthony
Will snap a couple of pics later but all looking good so far. No sure what Im going to do with the dipstick yet, or the oil filler bottle. Anyone got a pic of an XU9 to see where they attach?

Dipstick is on the back of an XU9 and bolts to the head near the back of the thermostat housing.

The XU9 oil filler tower bolts to the side of the inlet manifold, sort of between the block and throttle body.

pablo

ok cool Im making new breather pipes anyway so it should work out ok!

Might need an XU9 dipstick tho?

danpug

Take plenty of pics please!

Daviewonder

any updates on this mate?? Im following with great interest.

pablo

I couldnt get mine to run right. Was bouncy on idle and a bit hesitant on full throttle runs. Might just have been an air leak but got bigger problems now lol (cracked block).

Ill sell you what I have if you want? manifold with some portwork to match the XU10 head, Xu10 fuel rail (no injectors but FPR), modified dipstick tube and gti6 throttle body (no TPS). £50 for the lot. I also have a set of 249 ish cc injectors from the turbo engine.

Daviewonder

Ive already got most of the bits for the conversion myself cheers mate, I was just wondering how much there was to gain from doing it?

Henry Yorke

Whilst searching for some info I found this thread. Attached is a pic which shows the mismatch between the XU10 inlet on an XU9 head

post-3457-1266192514_thumb.jpg

post-3457-1266192268_thumb.jpg

Look for the gasket imprints and the thinness in parts. Also the injectors would fire onto the bottom part of the gasket. This was fitted by a "Peugeot tuner" who said it was perfectly fine even when I had queried that it needed to be checked. I was running boost through this too!

Daviewonder

Looking at the pictues this wouldnt be as bad with an xu9 inlet on an xu10 head would it?

sub205

with correctly matched ports and a modified xu9-gasket everything is fine.

my 8v got 157bhp, to get even more i would have to convert to TBs, so i dont think the inlet is that bad.

btw: the gasket is not genuine peugeot, the pug ones have rubber sealings all around the ports, without that the water holes can leak or the whole engine can suck air where it shouldn't

Edited by sub205

Sign in to follow this