• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AtoM

Megasquirt On 1.6 Gti Engine

AtoM

Hi there!

I´m going to do an upgrade for the megasquirt engine management on my 1.6 gti engine, in the begining I just want to put it running in this engine, and in the next year I will upgrade for a 1.9 on throttle boddies.

I´ve some doubts about our engine that I need to have solved before I start this.

What kind of TDC sensor does the standart ecu has?

From where I can get a TPS sensor? Because ours is just a switch.

Has anyone already tried wasted spark? Or is better to run the original setup with a high voltage coil?

Thanks for the help

Tom Fenton

The standard ECU senses engine position through the distributor. This is no use to an aftermarket ECU. Easy way is to fit an Mi16 flywheel and crank sensor.

TPS sensor you need a potentiometer. I bought one from Emerald in the UK.

Wasted spark works well, and you no longer need the dizzy.

AtoM
The standard ECU senses engine position through the distributor. This is no use to an aftermarket ECU. Easy way is to fit an Mi16 flywheel and crank sensor.

TPS sensor you need a potentiometer. I bought one from Emerald in the UK.

Wasted spark works well, and you no longer need the dizzy.

Thanks a lot for the quick answer

The Mi16 flywheel is just plug&play? There is no more arrangements to do on the crank position sensor?

Is this sensor VR or hall efect?

Tom Fenton

It is a VR sensor, most of the later gearboxes already have the hole bored in the top ready to fit the sensor in.

welshpug

there's also the late 1.9 Motronic and 1.8 16v flywheel you can use, they share the same size clutch as the 1.6/1.9 8 valve engines and have the same timing teeth as the MI16 flywheel.

there is a thermostat housing from late 1.9 and 2.0 engines that are drilled to take a wasted spark coilpack,

sub205

a normal 120bhp flywheel will do fine, too.

its only important that the flywheel got the marks.

Tom Fenton

Only if it is a Motronic equipped car. The Jetronic flywheel will NOT work with a crank sensor to provide an ECU any meaningful information.

sub205

btw does someone know the differences between the XU9 Mi16 (0532E1) and the XU10 (0531F2) flywheel?

AtoM

Thanks a lot for the help that you all gave me, probably instead of the different flywheel I will go for a plate on one of the pulleys and put the crank sensor there, It is easier than fitting a different flywheel.

Once I have the car running which should be near christmas I´ll post the results here.

Again, thanks you all for the help

shalmaneser
Thanks a lot for the help that you all gave me, probably instead of the different flywheel I will go for a plate on one of the pulleys and put the crank sensor there, It is easier than fitting a different flywheel.

Once I have the car running which should be near christmas I´ll post the results here.

Again, thanks you all for the help

I'll be very interested to hear your results (and costs!!!) please take plenty of photos do document it all!

Currently deciding which direction to take my car in, and engine swap would be nice but I've got this weird attachment to 8 valves...

AtoM
I'll be very interested to hear your results (and costs!!!) please take plenty of photos do document it all!

Currently deciding which direction to take my car in, and engine swap would be nice but I've got this weird attachment to 8 valves...

Yeah I really have to have it all documented, because this will also be year´s project in college. Once I´m back to Portugal for christmas I will start to work on it.

I do understand that weird attachment to 8 valves :)