• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest acexxx

Dash Warning Light Non-gti

Guest acexxx

Hi there I have a 1.0 XE and while driving it today a warning light came on in the dash. Its down next to the fuel gauge. It's on the right hand side. When I arrived at my destination I popped the hood to find a pip hole with water coming out of it at the thermostat (I think) After repairing it re filling with coolent and bleeding it all seemed fine but as I arrived home the light came on again. Can anyone perhaps tell me what it means? The car has plenty of coolent know and is running fine but when the light comes on it runs funny.

Thanks In advance

Andrew

Also it comes on and off not just on all the time

jackherer

Are you sure its totally bled? I used to have a TU in an AX and it was a nightmare to bleed compared to an XU.

swordfish210

The cooling system can hold air for ages. I've found the best way to bleed it is to go for a nice drive then while the coolant is still warm just crack the top off of the header tank and all the air will come rushing out.

DamirGTI
Are you sure its totally bled? I used to have a TU in an AX and it was a nightmare to bleed compared to an XU.

Quite right Kieran , bleeding coolant system on a TU engined cars (205 , AX , Saxo etc.) is really bitch of a job for a such operation which should be simple quick and easy to do by yourself .. when ever i repaired blown head gaskets on these engines from all the stuff included in the head gasket rep. job i at most hated this last step filling and bleeding the coolant system :rolleyes:

I would as well suggest re-bleeding the system for few more times .. turn the heater on maxi and go for a spin , stop every 5-10min or so and crack open/close the expansion bottle cap in order to release the pressure .. afterwards switch off the engine completely , wait a bit until it cools down , and re-bleed the system again ..

Also , worth taking out and cleaning the coolant level sensor as they're usually clogged up from inside with all kinds of crap which circulates trough the coolant system .. and then the dash light goes mental (if the sensor works in the first place of course ..)

Damir ;)

Guest acexxx

Cool guys thanks for the replies. I have re-bled the system and cleaned out the sensor. It seems to be better now. I will take it for a good long drive to make sure all is well. Weird a car from 1991 having a coolent level sensor. When I had my MG that would have been a life saver for the Head Gasket in fact loads of people fit them to the MG's/ Rovers and it costst a fortune. Typical cheap, shoncky british s***