• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Red Moisture In Car Stereo Causing Problems.

davemar

My car stereo started playing up the other day, so I removed it to find it was very damp. The fuse connector in the back was full of liquid. Initially I assumed it was just water from condensation or a bit of a leak somewhere, but now I've taken the stereo apart to find the liquid is red in colour! I can't think of any red liquid in the car's system. I'm sure my coolant is blue, and screenwash is too. If it is coolant, how could it have got near the car stereo in the position? Isn't the heater matrix tucked over to the left?

DrSarty

Well you've said you're 'sure' your coolant and screen wash are blue. I'd check, as there is red screen wash out there. Definitely a check to do first that.

Otherwise, do you have a child or evil girlfriend who's poured a bottle of Oasis into the CD/tape slot?

Edited by DrSarty

GLPoomobile

Is there not a type of coolant that changes colour at some point in it's life? I can't remember if it's to indicate that it has reached a certain age and needs changing, or if it indicates a head gasket leak or something.

But I'd definitely say it's coolant. It'll have leaked from you heater matrix.

davemar

I'm having a bit more of a rummage around, and it does seem like coolant. It's got that slightly sticky unpleasant feel to it, with some slight rusty deposits in it. I've whipped the centre console out and the right hand bit of carpet is quite damp and there a good coating of the liquid over the middle plastic part. Looks like a new matrix then, and will have to start removing the trim now :rolleyes:. I think it's still the original matrix, so probably expected to be past it's best now.

chrisj21

Yes most likely your matrix as said, mines the same at the minute but it's leaking from one of the metal pipes that koins to the matrix.

I have some kitchen tissue absorbing it until i can get one ordered.

Chris