• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ian_p

[misc_work] Grey Stdt Progress

ian_p

I bought this 93 STDT in July for £400 with tax and mot and was well chuffed.

Over the last 5 years all i've owned is Chevrolets from a 68 Nova with column shift to a 90 Z24. I like American stuff but if anything goes wrong it's so hard to find anyone over here that knows how to fix them and you have to ship parts in etc. A few years ago my dad was stopped in customs in Arizona for taking 3 oil filters, an electric window motor, 20 bulbs and barke pads on a plane lol! All to save money!

Hence the reason i'm excited to be able to buy things from my local scrappy and ebay UK for the 205.

Anyway enough about me, the car:

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

Usual standard STDT with missing centre caps, dents here and there and a lovely beige interior.

DSC00560.jpg

Had it lowered by Lawrence Goodridge in Midsomer Norton for a good price. It's dropped with 60mm springs from ebay and the torsion bar is adjusted accordingly.

DSC00239.jpg

Another ebay find were these speedlines. Not in the best condition but am thinkin of maybe painting them in spring. I've got orange in my head cuz of a white GTI i saw with orange speedlines.

DSC00587.jpg

Have fitted the speelines i've gained a slightly more agressive look but have also gained a slight arch gap.

DSC00585.jpg

STDT wheels and tyres are 185 60 14

Speedline wheels and tyres are 195 45 15

I may go for a 50 profile on the speelines soon.

There will be more progress, all cosmetic (unless ryan stdt convinces me to get an engine swap, i'll see how his works out) soon.

All comments welcomed

Cheers

Ian

ian_p

Got some packages today

DSC00638.jpg

yorkshirekowboy

nice read so far, loving the yellow lamps, goes well together. What other plans do you have for it :rolleyes:

ian_p
nice read so far, loving the yellow lamps, goes well together. What other plans do you have for it :rolleyes:

thanks!

i just need to do some general tidying over the winter now. one of the quarter panels is missing, i found some rust whilst doing the lights so that needs looking at. Then in spring i'll look at wheels. I was considering changing the colour of the speedlines or getting a set with a bit of dish like borbet t's. Not sure yet

Pugleyrich

really like what you have done so far. glad you got the lamin-x - i wanted someone else to give it a good review before i went ahead with it

ryan_stdt

those yellow lights look really good mate it looks old skool, you have made me think about what they would look like on mine.

Where did you find the rust, because i found a big rusty hole when i took my lights out. its was underneath where the screen wash bottle sits, enough to fit all 4 fingers in

oz.

Next you'll need the euro style pressed number plate. Mine only cost about £30 - p+p inclusive from a place called french-number-plates. Not been stopped once for them, probably because they look like the real thing. Not like chavvy bodged together things.

Rolando

is that legal to do that with your headlights?

ian_p
those yellow lights look really good mate it looks old skool, you have made me think about what they would look like on mine.

Where did you find the rust, because i found a big rusty hole when i took my lights out. its was underneath where the screen wash bottle sits, enough to fit all 4 fingers in

Cheers, general rust under the headlight. need to sort it soon!

Next you'll need the euro style pressed number plate. Mine only cost about £30 - p+p inclusive from a place called french-number-plates. Not been stopped once for them, probably because they look like the real thing. Not like chavvy bodged together things.

that's a good idea. might look into it

is that legal to do that with your headlights?

yeah, but i'm gonna get a set of standard headlights for the mot anyway as the driver side one is all wobbley and you can adjust it.

ryan_stdt

im going to get some pressed plates, i think they look right on a 205 and £30 isn't a bad price either

allye

Be careful with pressed plates they are illegal! Only a £30 fine i think, but I decided not to risk it and give the police an excuse to pull me!

Ali

ian_p
Be careful with pressed plates they are illegal! Only a £30 fine i think, but I decided not to risk it and give the police an excuse to pull me!

Ali

i thought that, and with the yellow lights i'm sure they'd try and fine me more.

Maybe just some clean delaer type ones? i'd love some black with grey character pressed ones i think they'd suit the car. maybe for shows?

oz.

They are illegal, but in the 6months ive been driving around a chav hotspot ive not been pulled over once (police round here love pulling over modded cars). Same goes for the lights. Youre more likely to be pulled over for having a s*itty number plate with branding in the background than you are with a clean europlate.

Don't drive like a c*ck and it won't give them a reason to pull you over

Paulmac19

I like those plates

think they look sweet

ian_p

headlights are rubbish at night lol!

used full beam on the motorway and a roads last night but wasn't blinding people either lol.

vision is overatted!

it must be the lights, not the yellowness

Lan
headlights are rubbish at night lol!

used full beam on the motorway and a roads last night but wasn't blinding people either lol.

vision is overatted!

it must be the lights, not the yellowness

Now that's strange I've found 205's standard headlights to be among some of the brightest.

check the earth blocks behind the lights there usually badly corroded by now cleaning them up or replacing them with ring terminals and a stainless bolt will brighten up your lights no end :rolleyes:

edit: also yellow is a legal colour for headlights

Edited by Lan

oz.

Yellow isn't a legal colour unless the car came with them as standard. A lot of the VW boys have been pulled for this.

Some european cars came with them yellow in the last 15/20 years but not the Pugs

hexhamstu

a friend of mine has a 106 rallye with pressed plates and yellow lights, dont think hes ever been pulled for it. I've got pressed plates on mine and have had no trouble so far.

oz.

Plod will usually leave you alone unless you look like a d*ck or drive like one

ian_p

5574_136090985254_742225254_3702916_6672338_n.jpg

orange wheels for 2010??

scottish_lion

I've got the black/silver plates, from French-number-plates and they're a thing of beauty.

I'm really impressed with the quality of them, and I managed 5 months driving round edinburgh and going on the Eurotrip (including the drive through England) before I got pulled.

People always asked if it was french or from the Isle of Man as they were spaced differently...

L-bits035.jpg

ian_p

up for sale soon. The headlights can be put back to original by removing the yellow film.