• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris-stdt

1.9 8 V On Webber Twin 40s

chris-stdt

My car has webber twin 40 carbs on and it runs spot on when hot but is realy bad to start from cold.

The chokes are not connected , asked the lad i bought it off and he said they werent needed but im not sure so i was wondering what other people with carbs on their cars do

Is it just that the car will always take more starting or will i be able to lessen the problem by using the chokes as ive never had a car with carbs before.

Thanks

boombang

To start a car with carbs is actually easy if can get it right. Get it wrong and it can take ages to start!

Press throttle down to floor slowly three times, take about a second to get to throttle stop and back.

Turn key to start, then when it starts lightly feather throttle to keep it running. You'll need to do that for at 30 seconds, possibly a little bit longer, to get some heat into cylinders.

The cold start chokes aren't needed, you do it all with your foot - much more reliable.

When you are cranking, you should not need to touch the throttle - if you do you risk damping down the plugs and it won't go.

When the car is hot it's a different matter. Generally you can just go straight for the key without doing anything else, may need a light bit of throttle to catch though.

Moz_Goodwood
Press throttle down to floor slowly three times, take about a second to get to throttle stop and back.

Turn key to start, then when it starts lightly feather throttle to keep it running. You'll need to do that for at 30 seconds, possibly a little bit longer, to get some heat into cylinders.

The cold start chokes aren't needed, you do it all with your foot - much more reliable.

thats exactly what i used to do with my twin webers and it allways fired up (my chokes were disconnected aswell)

chris-stdt

Thanks il give that a try

samc

i used the choke lever and cable from a old carb model 205 and hooked it up, the hole is in the dash ready for it iirc, worked a treat in the winter... but as said above, just pump a few times first lol

opticaltrigger

Id go with all the footwork to.Ive allways done it that way to.

Its one of the main reasons we went over to injectors in the industry,if you look at the last of the main OEM carburators they became fantasticaly complex devices in an atempt to offset some of these problems.

The performance end of the carburetor market didnt change much over thirty years as good starting and smooth low speed throtle response wasent a high priority,one of the best examples being the 48 IDAs or the Rochesters,great flat out racing carbs,not so hot for every day though.

Its just one of the joys of performance carbs I'm affraid.

thomasrally

Yeah ours is the same, bugger to start from cold but we pump the throttle twice and turn over, repeat and repeat until it fires and leave to idle for a few seconds before trying to feather the throttle. As said don't touch the throttle when your turning it over it'll just flood.

Guest Teos

Yes,

the best way is to pump 3 time before try to turn it on... :P

But on my race car that have the 2x40dcoe, also with the 3 trottle pumped it not start...

So, i have used a Shimano Gear Shift lever assembly as cold stard :ph34r: Cheap price great use!! :ph34r:

Bye

Matteo

skinner2k3

What good timing this post is! I was literally about to ask the same thing as I also have twin 40's on a 1900 with no choke cable fitted. It too has been a pain to start since it got cold.

I am going to try a choke cable but have always relied on pumping/feathering the throttle (although I had been doing it different which may actually be the root of my troubles).

I like the gear lever idea.

Sign in to follow this