• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Sony Xplod s*it?

davey205

just got a song xplod gt something

seems a bit s*it as can get b**p all bass out of it have sony gone downhill recently ?

Lan

ive always thought most of sony's products are pretty much mainstream tat these days

I wouldn't touch the speakers or anything else for that matter except for the ps3 which is actually sh*te as far as quality goes it freezes on the internet browser ffs and resets to factory default settings when it chooses and this is a brand new exchange console from sony after the first one which also had these problems had a broken dvd laser so you could only use bd-roms

for me its pioneer for headunits and av receviers JBL for speakers the car ones are good but the home speakers are far better and lg for tvs/monitors

davey205

bloody disappointment sounds cheap :-( im trying desperatly to get some bass out of it as i know i have reasonable speakers will fiddle about with the settings tomorrow see how it goes

Ludi

I agree with Lan about Pioneer.

They have excellent headunits.

DamirGTI

Agreed regarding speakers , never liked Sony , myself i prefer JBL or Magnat .. but i do have Sony amplifier which good un , no complains about that one ..

Damir B)

happygoron

I've got a Sony headunit, was in my 106 and now in the 205. Had it a few years and been very happy with build quality, however being half deaf I'm not one to comment on sound quality! Does the job and fairly cheaply.

Galifrey
I've got a Sony headunit, was in my 106 and now in the 205. Had it a few years and been very happy with build quality, however being half deaf I'm not one to comment on sound quality! Does the job and fairly cheaply.

Got a Sony X-Plod MEX-BT3700U in my car, Ipod dock, BT cellphone etc, sounds fine, but with most cars these days, the speakers are the weak point.

I find a small sub almost a god given requirement these days

cybernck

I took a 20 kHz to 20 Hz sweep test track and all the Sony headunits I've tried it on couldn't play the highest frequencies correctly! B)

Their speakers are crap as well - as the name Xplod says - they're just boomy at best.

But to an average consumer, they're great, I guess B).

DrSarty

Hi Davey:

You either have expectations which are too high, or are doing something wrong.

The easiest solutions are these:

> Do you have the speakers wired correctly, i.e. plus wire connected to plus terminals on the speakers (running them reverse polarity does severely weaken the bass)?

> IF you have them wired correctly, then you could turn the 'Loudness' circuit on. The instructions will tell you which button to press. This will make a big difference.

But..

> IF everything above is done, i.e. correctly wired and the 'loudness' is on, and there is still not enough bass for you, then you are expecting too much from whatever speakers you have in your car. If that's the case, then you need a new speaker/amp/sub system to get you music sounding more like you want it.

This talk about Sony or any other brand not producing any bass is just not correct I'm afraid. I have built sound systems that would blow doors off, where the head unit or stereo/CD player was just a standard unit from a 1.6GL Ford Sierra.

Trust me, it's not the brand or the stereo/head unit, it's either your installation, set-up (use of loudness) or your expectations.

To clarify the last point, you will simply NOT get bass from the standard speakers alone in a 205.

I hope that helps, but trust me we can get it sorted and don't take it out on your poor old Sony. They are a good, reputable brand, but like other manufacturers they make different levels of product to cope with different markets. But even the entry level (cheap) stuff can be made to perform well if installed correctly; I know, I've done it.

My advice is check your installation as above, check if you have loudness turned on, and perhaps consider even the most basic improvement of some 6x9 speakers properly installed in the back. If you now tell me you already have some installed, then I guarantee you've done something wrong.

Edited by DrSarty

Galifrey

Having seen a Sarty install, I can tell he reads the ICE section of every Max Power ;)

But seriously, the stock speaker locations for the 205 are utter pants. You really are not going to get much bass from them.

My former 205 had an accoustic rear shelf with two 7 inch bass speakers and a power amp. Stock locations had some decent Pioneer 3.5's for mid-treble it sounded peachy, and retained the boot for use which is way better than filling it with a huge bass box. A removable sub box is an alternative for retaining boot use.