• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Tu3 Catch Tank

allye

Hi all,

I fitted a catch tank to my TU3 UK rallye a while ago, I firstly fitted it with the small pipe supplied, a hose pipe sized pipe. This resulted in a pressure build up in the rocker case due to the restricted air flow of the small pipe, this then resultes in it blowing the rocker gasket and weeing out nearly all of its oil, covering my engine bay in the process! I have now got a much wider pipe (from the scrappers) which as stopped the pressure build up but it still makes a little mess on the front grill!

So my question is why have a catch tank that makes a mess when I may as well have an oil breather filter!? Have I got a bade quality catch tank?

Thanks a lot

Ali

EdCherry

Cant the catch tank breath?

allye

It has the filter on it and it is breathing fine now, however is still making a mess of my engine bay ;) so I may as well just have a oil breather filter!? Or is my catch tank pants? It was £35 of fleabay.

Cheers

burr_2000

is your engine standard or has there been any work carried out on it? if its standard then i would put your breather back to standard, no need for breathe mods. if its still causing a mess you have a problem.

Jrod

How high are you reving it? Mine spat oil out the dipstick if I bounced the valves too much... :(

allye

Its a standard engine just with a Piper X filter, I rarely take it past 5k! So it could be coming out of the dip stick? is that common!?

Cheers, Ali

GTI6BOY

whats the reason for a tank then?

just put it back to standard.

swordfish210

Heres mine:

DSC00271.jpg

It's not pretty but it's functional

allye

I cant put it back to standard as i am using a piper cross filter! Does that catch tank make a mess in you engine bay at all?

cheers, ali

swordfish210

Nope, i get a bit of a stain on the bonnet but it's nothing that can't be wiped off with a wet wipe.

trogboy

Post up a pic of your catch tank.

If you are getting excessive oil vapour blown into the engine bay then it could be thatr your engine is breathing excessively which is a sign of poor health - i.e. excessive blow by on the piston rings or maybe you head gasket is starting to leak into the oil ways.

EDIT - just realised that it is you with the head gasket that is starting to go - these could be related. N.b I got my head skimmed by MJ Engine Services in Westbury - I think it only cost me £20 from memory.

Edited by trogboy

allye

I see your local! The head didn't need skimming thankfully, was perfectly flat. Found a small part of a gasket inbetween two pistons left behind from the last gasket change! was the route of problems, so I hope this is the route of not only my oil vapour woes but also the engine getting through water!

Thanks a lot, ali

allye

Sorry for my ignorrence, I'm sure its been covered too many times but when i serched I couldn't find any information, how do you get picture on here? I know you need a photobucket account and you post the link here or something???

Thanks, ali

swordfish210

When you've uploaded a pic to photobucket there will be a series of codes under the image. Click on the one that says img cose, copy it, and then just paste it here...easy as pie :lol:

allye

Only just got to taking a couple of pistures of the catch tank!

IMGP0031.jpg

IMGP0030.jpg

What do you think? Is it ok.

Thanks, Ali