• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Ahoy Ye Polishing Geeks!

Tom Fenton

So I've bought myself a new daily driver, the bodywork is in pretty straight nick, so to keep it nice I'd like to give it a good coat of some kind of wax.

Now I'm no polishing expert, and if anyone says the word "detailing" then I will be forced to send them a turd in the post.

Normally the extent of my polishing would be some Auto Glym paint renovator if it is dull, followed by some Auto Glym Super Resin polish.

Now this is probably OK for the junior polisher, but basically is there something out there that is going to protect better? I don't want to spend a fortune, but would go maybe up to £30 or so.

The only other thing is that preferably I can go somewhere and buy it locally and not have to wait a week for it to turn up.

I've got various bottles of super resin polish, some turtlewax crap and some Simoniz crap, but would like to do better!!

So fire away guys!

Lan

i quite like the super resin polish imo if you want anything noticebly better as far as polishes go you'd really be looking into something to use on a buffer, you should consider using a wax after using the super resin maybe auto glym extra gloss protection, the finish should be protected better then.

Edited by Lan

Tom Fenton

Just to clarify, I'm not really wanting to polish it as such- its reasonably shiny already. What I want to do is wax it to protect it really.

I've got a rotary buffer but there is no way I am taking it near this car!

Lan

auto glym, extra gloss protection is a liquid wax they recommend to use it after super resin polish, ive used it a few times and it seems to work well ive also used auto glym aqua wax which was quick to use but not quite as good, surpisingly the turtle wax waxes are very good for there price aswell just as good as auto glym / meguiars

one-lady-owner

If all your after is some kind of wax, then just a simple wash, chamois, then something like the meguirs carnuba wax will do it, halfords, nice and cheap, and if you ever fancied spending some time on it one day, you can get the full 3 step meguirs set, (the wax is step 3) and treat it a bit!

chocolate_o_brian

I use SRP as you do Tom as a polish, but currently use the Autoglym HD wax as a sealant. It's easy to apply and buff off. About £40 in Halfords or £27 on Ebay - go figure :ph34r::lol:

Also use Menzerna Intensive Polish which is a cutting polish over a filler polish like SRP. Have used Nattys paste wax previously on my red Scoob - smelt like bubblegum and is very cheap. Made by Poorboys which (dare I say it) detailers over the land recommend.

I'm semi-OCD with regards cleaning the 205;

• wash with the 2 bucket method using a lambswool wash mit
  • dry with a waffle weave
  • apply SRP or M.I.T. polish using Meguairs applicator pads
  • buff using Autoglym microfibre towels
  • apply Autoglym HD wax with Mega app. pads
  • buff with microfibres
  • do all plastic arch trims etc, with Black-in-a-flash spray
  • spray tyres with Autoglym tyre renovator
  • wheels are washed with engine degreaser as it works well and doesn't do damage
  • wheels sealed with Poorboys wheel sealant (magic, magic stuff)

I won't go into the interior, otherwise you'd need matchsticks to keep you eyes open :lol:

Last Legend

Meguires NXT would get my vote for a good over the counter product,no where near as hard work as Autoglym EGP,and as its a polymer sealant will give you a great shine and give you more protection.

THE best product for protection bar none is this - http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php?id=COL-476S-9oz obviously shop around for best price inc Ebay in the U.S,I've tried hundreds of waxes,polishes.sealant in my time.

Bogsye

I know it's a polish as opposed to a wax, but I've generally always liked Mer. Seems to have a mild cutting action, so it takes junk off the surface over subsequent applications, and it seems to last fairly well. It's only a tenner or so in Hellfrauds.

My 206 gti looked pretty good using Mer.

Tried all the clay/sealant/wax stuff on my Honda, but I've come to the conclusion that it's better to drive it, than rub it. :ph34r:

Just a thought :lol:

Edited by Bogsye

Tom Fenton

Don't worry my friend, it will get a couple of coats of wax of some kind now in an effort to try and keep it nice, then will be in daily use with a wash every week if it is lucky and once a month if it is not! Its an Audi A4 TDi and is replacing an older version of the same thing, its my workhorse/tow vehicle/respectable car.

rallysteve

Auto Glym Aqua Wax. Very easy to use and i have found it gives very good results.

Steve

chocolate_o_brian
Auto Glym Aqua Wax. Very easy to use and i have found it gives very good results.

Steve

Really? I bought some due to it's supposed use of ease and could not for the life of me get it to buff smear free ;) Worst stuff, bar NXT wax I've used IMHO.

Galifrey

Big fan of MER myself, been using it for years

projectpug

I use zymol(concours/carbon) to finish/protect my fleet.It gives ace water beading,shine and protection but downside is cost. You may be able to snipe some on ebay just within you budget.

Bogsye

I remember getting a tin of wax free with Castrol GTX years and years ago. Could I get this stuff off the paintwork? Hell no! Absolute nightmare!

Mer demos at car shows were always entertaining, although I've never been tempted to douse the car with lighter fuel and ignite it. Nor have I written my name across the bonnet with tar.

ORB

Mer is good.

More importantly, what is this new Daily Driver you speak of? ?

omega
Mer is good.

More importantly, what is this new Daily Driver you speak of? ?

did you come in late sir?

to help you out

a4 on page one

ORB

Oh, bugger, as you may have noticed, I have added to that thread.

** Note to self - Must stop drinking **

Henry Yorke

I use Autoglym SRP and then extra gloss. The extra gloss saves me having to wax it again for a very long time!

Andy_C

Stick with what you're using mate - nowt wrong with Super Resin at all. Decent cheap wax is Swissvax Onyx but it's £40-odd (best one at the price) but I doubt it will outlast AG. You want a durable wax you need Collinite - you'll get 4 months' protection easily (on my daily driver, 850 mile a week Saab and the dirt falls off, easy as.)

hengti

from what little i've picked up on, either the Collinite 476, or Meguiars #16 (if you can still get it - ? got some and like it when i can be bothered anyway) - both sub £20 and supposedly provide more protection than any of these other fashion waxes, but both still P&P only. or maybe that Bilt Hamber AutoBalm stuff?

best not to get too involved - 'complicated'!

pip470

Another vote for Extra Gloss Protection. This is known as a sealant rather than a wax, It is also man made, It is made by Autoglymn especially to go over the top of thier Super Resin Polish. Its fantastic. As said it will last a really long time, it could not be easier to apply. Its bassicly a liquid that you wipe over your paintwork nice and thin. It doesn't need to be rubbed in in circles, in fact its so easy you have to wonder if you are doing it right. The trick is not to put a lot on at all, the more you put on, the thicker it sets and the harder it is to remove. So a nice thin layer applied with a meguires applicator pad and remove with a plush microfibre cloth, you will be amazed how easy it is to wash your car for the next 2-4 months. £12 for a smallish bottle that will last years.

Guest finlayson21
Another vote for Extra Gloss Protection. This is known as a sealant rather than a wax, It is also man made, It is made by Autoglymn especially to go over the top of thier Super Resin Polish. Its fantastic. As said it will last a really long time, it could not be easier to apply. Its bassicly a liquid that you wipe over your paintwork nice and thin. It doesn't need to be rubbed in in circles, in fact its so easy you have to wonder if you are doing it right. The trick is not to put a lot on at all, the more you put on, the thicker it sets and the harder it is to remove. So a nice thin layer applied with a meguires applicator pad and remove with a plush microfibre cloth, you will be amazed how easy it is to wash your car for the next 2-4 months. £12 for a smallish bottle that will last years.

Hi Tom,I've used 3M handglaze for years and find it s works realy well with the dark,shiny solid and base and lacquer colours,brings new paintwork up very well and then sealed with concept p.d.i wax polish,I got mine through a trade contact but would be worth while googling to see if its available retail as its very good.