• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
james_pug

Car Cover

james_pug

im looking to get a cover to go over my dimma for the winter and was wondering if anyone could reccomend me one? cheers

Last Legend

The only cover that really works outside is the carcoon- http://www.carcoon.co.uk/carcoons/products.asp the silver outdoor one approx half way down is the one you need.Not cheap but does what it says on the tin-they do come up on ebay.

Indoor covers I dont think it really matters, I personaly use a large cotton bedsheet (soft- non scratch) then a breathable cover over the top ALWAYS make sure the cover AND paintwork are dust/dirt free otherwise it will damage your paint.

If you use a carcoon or store your car in a garage be sure to leave the windows open a crack to aid airflow,pump the tyres up (or use axle stands)if its going to be left all winter,put some kind of rat/mouse killer around the garage and one inside (I use Rentokills own brand) fill up with SUPER unleaded and add a fuel stabliser like Stabil http://www.ready2race.co.uk/shop/shop.php?...ull&id=1229 I also like to leave an open lemon gel type air freshner in the interior.

Disconnect the battery,and put on any mecanical type security device you have unless your in a high crime area and need the alarm on,do occasionaly check over the car if only see you've no rodent problem.

Obviously all the above would be done after giveing the car the clean of the Year that way come spring your ready to go and you wont get and harm to the paint as already mentioned.Oh and one last thing dont use a water based vynil /rubber dressing on the interior as it will ecourage mildue (been there done that!)

Hope this helps.

Edited by Last Legend

ALEX

I've learnt the hard way in not using a breathable cover (cheapest plastic one from Argos)

It kept all the dust off alright and the paint work stayed fine, but over the year and half the engine coated itself with a white corroded powder and rust set in on most parts.

Also the interoir smelt a bit foisty for a few week.

djinuk

I wanted to organize a group buy on some decent spec outdoor car covers, the storm force rang a bell , its 4 layer spec, meant to be quite highly rated.

M@tt

you want a car cover made from Tybond material. Carplan make them (can find them on ebay)

I got one for my T16/dimma

size SMALL will cover a standard 205 and will cost about £40

Simes

Buy the very best you an afford.

Cheap ones are worse than having no cover.

james_pug

double post.

Edited by james_pug

ORB

I use a garage.

Sorry, non helpful post, but I could not resist.

My dad got one each for his E-type and XK140 from a company in Kent, they made them specific to the dimensions from the original car design, I cannot remember what they are called. He is away until next week so I will find out then if you wish. His are soft covers that are to be used indoors, but I know the same firm made them with a fancy coating for outdoor use. I do remember them being VERY expensive though.