• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gwanyerselsun

Lots Of Water In My

gwanyerselsun

I went into the 205 today and there's an inch deep puddle sitting in the drivers footwell!!

The car is has a factory sliding sunroof so I checked the drain holes on that to see they weren't blocked, I ran a bicycle gear cable all the way down both holes and found no blockage, I have also felt all around the underside of the dash for wetness and also found nothing there.

The only thing I can think that may be causing this leak is that I have removed the door card from the drivers door and that maybe water is running down the inside of the door in heavy rain and dropping onto the carpet.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

miamichris

maybe your heater matrix has packed in?

DamirGTI

I've cured leaks on my car by sealing up all the rubber seals with a tube of clear silicone (door seals , window seals , boot seal , windscreen seal) , removed all the rubbers out (bar the windscreen one) cleaned the seal gaps with paint thinner , cleaned seal mating surfaces on the bodywork as well , then smeared silicone all around inside the seal gaps and refitted them back .. afterwards i've sprayed the seal outer areas with silicone spray and since then the insides of bodywork is 100% bone dry dance014-4.gif

Damir :blink:

Gentry_Ba

the heater matrix is my opinion, too...

on cars with left handed steering the tubes to the heater matrix are on the left side- is it the same on right handed ones?

if it is, then I don't think the matrix is blown. the water would have been on the passenger side then...

cheers,

matthias

DamirGTI

If it's a leak from the heater matrix then you'll surely notice drop in the expansion bottle coolant level … and greenish color liquid appearance :rolleyes:

Anyway , i've had one of this footwell leaks before and the cause was leaky windscreen seal right down at the bottom corner of the A pillar ... sealed up the seal from both the bodywork and windscreen glass side with sealant and job done , no more leaking afterwards ..

Damir :)

Edited by DamirGTI

johnsimister

Have a look at the junction of the chassis rail to the bulkhead under the servo. If spilt brake fluid has destroyed the paint, rust sets in behind the seam sealer and the bulkhead rots through, letting water into the footwell. With all rust removed the hole can be plated from the inside once the carpet and soundproofing are well out of the way, and the seam sealer + paint reinstated. You just have to hope the chassis rail itself is still solid.

John

GLPoomobile

Oh joy, you know winter is coming when the flood (no pun intended) of topics about damp foot wells starts :unsure:

No offence gwanyerselsun, but this exact topic has to be in the top 5 most asked questions in this forum's history. It may take you a while to get used to using the search function (there is advice on how to get the best out of this in a few topics within the Questions, Comments and Suggestions sub forum), but if you do use the search, you will find bloody loads of posts about internal leaks. And when you break it all down there is really only a handful of common causes (I could have probably listed them in as many words as I've already typed, but I was in the mood to be patronising :lol: )

EDIT - just noticed your join date, and you're not even a newb! :ph34r: You should know better. Naughty boy.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Simes

In summary

Heater matrix - liquid tastes sweet (don't ingest though)

Rear window seals

Boot seal

I reckon it's going to be one of the top two.

Check under your rear seats, you'll find a rust patch and perhaps a puddle of water.

Hardgraf

Make sure it's water & not coolant. If it's coolant then likely the heater matrix has leaked. Replacement is a job which can only be described as a buggerisimo...

gwanyerselsun

Thanks for the information.

I shall have a search and see what I find.