• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dcc

C2 Vts And 106 Gti Engines

dcc

A friend has a C2 vts and he wants to get some fast road cams (a fairly mild set of cams) a new exhaust manifold and rest of exhaust - removing the cat.

What options does he have? can you run a c2 engine with 106 gti/saxo vts engine parts? would 708's fit the c2 vts engine? what about 106 gti exhaust manifolds or complete systems?

cheers

Dan.

welshpug

The VTS is a 125bhp TU5JP4S, I do believe the 708's would fit in there, though there are specific cams for that engine listed by catcams from memory.

Exhaust manifold I think is the same, the rest of the system is quite different, its about a foot shorter overall!

There is plenty out there for them, they have a very strong presence in the 1600 class Rallying in Europe but strangely not here yet.

Edited by welshpug

DrSarty

Being a bit bored (and trying to help of course), I've had a bit of a Welshpug moment here and looked up some numbers.

Apparently, these are all the NFX engine type, TU5J4/L3 or TU5JP4 S, fitted to C2 VTS, 106 1.6i Rallye 16v and 106 1.6i 16v GTi. Power specs vary from 120-122bhp.

All 1587cc. 78.5 x 82mm bore x stroke.

So engine-wise I'd say the parts are compatible, including aftermarket cams.

EDIT: Just spotted that Meirion's beaten me to it. :D I'll leave it to the expert next time.

Edited by DrSarty

welshpug

C2 VTS IIRC has the NFS engine which is the TU5JP4S 125bhp, it has quite a few small differences to the 106/Saxo NFX 118bhp TU5J4 engine (though common to find them well above this BHP figure)

Its closer in head design to the 110 bhp TU5JP4 NFU as they share the same valves which are larger than the NFX, though both later versions have smaller ports.

Sandy knows these Engines very well :D

Edited by welshpug

dcc

If its the case that the cams would fit from a 106 gti into the c2 vts then it looks like a no brainer to get a set of 106 gti cams unless there are sets made specifically for the c2 vts? the part numbers on cat cam website are very similar but not the same for the same spec came for each engine. unless its a marketing ploy?

I was hoping to get a bit of info on valve diameters too, as it might be worth me looking to using a c2 vts head as I had heard they have better porting and valve sizes - much like comparing a GTI6 head to a mi16 head. I think they go straight onto the 106 gti block as the oil ways are in the same place.

Sandy

The options are limited with further work. "708s" won't fit properly timed. There's less valve to piston room at TDC in the JP4 (C2/C3/C4/206/307 etc) engine than the J4 (106/Saxo) engine. The JP4 springs are limiting on lift too, to about 9mm from memory. The J4 springs will allow more lift, but you still have the lift at TDC issue. Exhaust manifolds are interchangeable on the head, but the JP4 alloy sump is lower and can clash.

edbar

i know a c2 manifold wont fit on the 106 as i tried, think it clashed with the oil filter housing, dont know about other way round though. A guy on the c2 forum fitted 708's to his and had loads of trouble.