• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Competition Exhaust Silencers

wardy18

Now ordered so ill take before and after db readings and feedback

Thanks again for the advice

brumster

Custom Chrome are not far from me, based in Nuneaton (or they used to be). They fabricated an exhaust system for my Lotus 7 replica, and did a lovely job of it - the silencer is still on there now, a good 10+ years later, and while it needs repacking the finish is excellent and still looks nigh on as good as new. Can't vouch for their mild steel stuff, but their workmanship was certainly good 10 years ago. Mind you, a lot of things can change in 10 years :ph34r:

Not the quitest of systems, mind, but then it's only a single box and I'd be lucky if there's more than 2 metres of tubing between tailpipe and manifold!

edit: One thing I will say, is they 'aint light :ph34r:

Edited by brumster

wardy18

Exhaust arrived today, looks great and really good workmanship

Just getting a reducer made up so i can fit it to my 2 1/4" system (i had to buy it in 2 1/2" as they didnt do 2 1/4")

See the pic, i think you'll agree its a fair size bigger than the old Cherry Bomb so should give me good silencing :)

On COLD idle of 1000rpm at 0.5m away from exhaust it was kickin out 82 db with old silencer (cant rev it and take readin at same time)

Cameron

Are you measuring at a 45 degree angle from the exhaust too? It will be louder if you're measuring in line with the outlet.

Looks like a pretty decent bit of kit for the money, as long as the steel and paint are decent it should last you a while.

Batfink

what are you using to measure the db reading. I am looking to get a db reader and was wondering on the accuracy of whats on the market..

Cameron

This one looks pretty good for the money.

Click!

It all depends how accurate you want it, as the price will increase rapidly with accuracy! The really cheap ones will be +/-2dB or worse, anything better than +/-0.5dB is going to cost you well over £200. That one is +/-1dB which should be more than accurate enough for diy stuff.

Edited by Cameron

wardy18

Yeh I was measuring at a 45deg angle, but I know my reader is a cheap silverline unit so not accurate, its more to see the drop in db from the old silencer to the new one!

Ill give the can an extra quick spray over before I fit as I'm sure the paint has been scraped in the pre fit stage so don't want it rusting

lemmingzappa
Powerflow looks good so far by looking at the site but im a bit unsure as there arnt very good reports of them from you guys

I've got a full stainless Powerflow system, it was made by my local exhaust guys (they use Powerflow parts, but are now a seperate company). No complaints at all.

I'd say it's more down to the people that make/fit the system, rather than the quality of the product.

Edited by lemmingzappa

wardy18

does anyone know if there is a certain direction in which a repackable silencer should be fitted, I am unsure which way round I should fit it either with the section that unbolts at the back or the front??

Any ideas on flow etc?

welshpug

I doubt it, there are no valves or anything in them, I would fit it towards the rear, to you can re-pack it without removing it from the car.

Cameron

It really doesn't matter, you'll take the silencer off the car to repack it anyway.

wardy18

Excellent cheers guys, will report on db readings later