• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
edbar

1l Catch Tank Filled In Less Than 50 Miles!

edbar

Got the standard breather set up with gatch tank attatched and has filled in less than 50 miles. The car has uprated spring and sprocket so would the rise in oil pressure cause a rise in vapour pressure?

10062009302.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

pee vee

I'd say something is pretty wrong there mate.

and no, the increased engine oil pressure will have no effect on how much the engine breathes.

its cylinder pressure leaking past the rings into the sump that causes heavy breathing. :o

looks like a new engine too ???

EdCherry

Well if you overfilled it with oil its just breathing the excess out...

MrG

is it actually oil or vapour residue of say a mix of oil and water?

StuF215

I had a similar problem once, have you blocked off any breather pipes or changed their route?

I cant remember exactly how I sorted it, but id plumbed mine in wrong and it filled mega quick, once id rerouted the pipes it seemed normal.

May just be something simple

Tom Fenton

It looks to me like the pipe into your catch oil bottle is a fairly decent fit to the hole, if this is the case then the engine cannot actually breathe that well- in standard form the breather is piped into the inlet, which helps to pull through the breather system, however yours has no real open end to atmosphere, hence why it is breathing hard and has filled your catch bottle.

I'd recommend fitting another pipe to the other side of the filler cap, with a breather filter attached.

I also know a man not far from you that could make you a nice alloy catch tank as opposed to that 1 litre placcy bottle, PM me if interested!

MrG

I could be interested in something like that to Tom. I'll drop a pm across Sunday if that's OK?

taylorspug

As Tom has said you dont appear to have an outlet 'to air' on your catch bottle. Maybe try drilling somes holes around where the pipe currently goes in as a temporary solution and see if that works?

Tom Fenton
I could be interested in something like that to Tom. I'll drop a pm across Sunday if that's OK?

No probs

edbar

might be interested in a catch tank later, used a bottle so i could see what size tank i would eventually need by how much it fills. There is a few mm all around the pipe into the bottle but will get a filter for the other side of the filler tower.

Thanks for the help.

Saveit

I think its just due to plumbing up the system wrong. It was in my case at least. And secondly you need a lot more room for the engine to breathe. Normally a finger sized hole is more than enough, but its better to be on the safe side. Mine didnt have a sufficient breathing hole and ended up pushing the crankshaft oil seal (gearbox end) out...

Guest tornado_8v

Hi, i was told by a mate of mine that you dont need catch tanks on the inlet side of an engine and that you could just block of all the pipes cumin from the filler? I take it by you lot doing it and being 205 "geeks" lol that it is needed? advice would be appriiated bcos ive went and blocked them all of as he said but i havent run it yet so if its gna be a problem a would like to get it sorted before next weekend because its race time at knockhill :D.

cheers and sorry for high jacking your thread. lol

welshpug

If you've blocked them all I would imagine it would shoot the dipstick out, and if you secure that it'll pop some seals.

edbar

Thanks for the replies, will sort out some more bits for it.

macaroni

I agree with StuF215, check the routing of the filer pipe. Even if the catch tank can't breath, seems to fill it up rather quickly.

Mine would fill the catch tank in about 50 miles, or less, of hard driving and drove me bonkers.

After doing all sorts of things, to no avail, I replaced the filler hose with a BakerBM silicon version and found that not only did it go soft with heat, but had a big kink in it. Thus the oil wasn't draining back down into the sump, but shooting straight out of the filler cap.

Sign in to follow this