• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BackStreetRacecars

Emerald Question

BackStreetRacecars

I managed to get hold of my first mappable ecu today :wub: . Its an emerald m3d and the serial number is EMR 0130. I am unsure if it is real :D as it doesnt look like any of the ones in pictures I have seen or like the ones I have fitted previously to cars. :( What do the older models look like and how difficult will it be to update etc... I have emailed emerald with the serial number and asked them too, just wanted to see if there was any input here?

cheers :lol:

Baz

Doesn't sound like one, well, certainly isn't an M3D serial# i don't think!

brumster

I've got one of the early K-compatible ones, circa 2000 I think. Just looks like an aluminium (silver) box, ridges/fins down the side, and a DIN plug, led and the MEMS wiring socket on it, and that's it. It has two little tabs that slide down the ridges on the one side, which you can use to mount it. Otherwise not a lot more to it, certainly no major branding scribbled all over it/etc.

BackStreetRacecars
I've got one of the early K-compatible ones, circa 2000 I think. Just looks like an aluminium (silver) box, ridges/fins down the side, and a DIN plug, led and the MEMS wiring socket on it, and that's it. It has two little tabs that slide down the ridges on the one side, which you can use to mount it. Otherwise not a lot more to it, certainly no major branding scribbled all over it/etc.

yeah pretty much looks like that... is it of any use to me then??

brumster

I should think so, yes, I think the early ones were just slower processing and not quite so feature-rich, but even my K-compatible one has lamba input, shift light, etc. and certainly ticks all the boxes I need for my 1600 K-Series. It's off the road and I've not used it for a while, so I forget exactly what features it has and doesn't have over the newer ones. I *think* the older ones are possibly upgradeable by Emerald if you're that fussed about it?

BackStreetRacecars

well I intend to run an 8valve fast road engine from it then later possibly use it for my Mi/gti6 engine I am building..

Hopefully emerald will get back to me soon and i should know!!

Baz

They've had the same shell for about 10yrs, previous to that been similar but had the GEMS style socket as brumster said.

Edited by Baz

weejimmy

do you have a pic?

i didnt relise you got fake ones.

hexhamstu

So what features do the newer ones have over the one pictured above?

Baz

Yup, the old 8bit ones iirc.

Going by that, it would seem they did have 'EMR' Serial#'s then!

BackStreetRacecars

yeah that looks alot like it.... Slightly bigger though and has the wrinig plug on the same side as the data link connector... Anyone have one on a 205?

James_m

lol i was also watching that. Went way over what i was prepared to pay! Would expect a K3 for that money used.

Galifrey
lol i was also watching that. Went way over what i was prepared to pay! Would expect a K3 for that money used.

Yeah someone well overpaid for that.... £390!

Baz

That'd be a bargain for an DK/K3, but certainly seems alot for that.

BackStreetRacecars

almost identical to the one I have!!! didnt pay anythin near that tho!!!

weejimmy

that looks good, i think sounds of silance has omex 600 on his 380bhp monster 500 cant be that far behind