• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
0ption2

Welding Bulkhead And Struts?

0ption2

I wish my first post was more positive! I put my 1.9 in for an MOT last week after a year working to get it up to scratch. However the seam along the bulkhead under the master cylinder is apparently ridiculously corroded and when the mechanic put it up on the lift the bodywork round the struts was creaking and cracking alarmingly! What's frustrating is that I never noticed this as it is too difficult to see on axel stands! Even MORE frustrating is that this is the only thing it failed on! My question is has anyone had experience welding these areas and what is the likelyhood that anything like the original chassis strength will be regained?

mickie

if done right the car should be ok, it'll be the brake fluid stripping the paint..

wont the engine need to come out to do it properly

DamirGTI

Almost everything bar serious bodywork crash damage can be repaired if you're handy with the welding equipment and metal works :D or if you have friendly welder who's prepared to help you ..

... i've done some really dirty welding job on my car :) .. including these areas of the bodywork which you've mentioned ..

Damir B)

0ption2

Thanks guys.

I have tracked down a local welder and am waiting to see if he is prepared to do the work (and at what cost!). I appreciate that it will involve removing the contents of the engine bay but given that the rest of the car is in such good nick it's a task I'm prepared to undertake (famous last words......!)

I don't think my £35 arc welder from Aldi would be up t o the job tho :) !

Will keep you posted......

DamirGTI
I don't think my £35 arc welder from Aldi would be up t o the job tho :P !

Unfortunately arc welder is no good for this kinda jobs , you'll just burn holes in thin metal with arc welder , for car bodywork repairs (thin sheet metal) you'll need decent MIG welder and preferably Argon/CO2 gas mix :D

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Damir :blink:

Edited by DamirGTI