• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dcc

106 Gti Engine Modifications

dcc

I want to buy some TB's for my 106 gti. Not for the power increase, but the noise!

What are the ones to go for on these engines? What would be a good management system to opt for too?

I was thinking something like Jenveys and emerald.

and whilst I am here...

I have a powerflow exhaust, which I want to make quieter, its currently got a straight through system with no cat. Is it as simple as getting a centre section silencer cut and welded in?

Baz

Speak to Sandy about TB's.

Emerald - :lol:

Edited by Baz

projectpug

You will get more than just noise if you fit a catcam 708 and TB's ;)

welshpug

For the exhaust pretty much just that, or get an off the shelf centre section if possible.

DrSarty

Throttle bodies (incl Jenveys) seem to be very well priced here although I haven't checked if they do an inlet to suit the TU.

I think I'm going to get a set of Jenveys from them in place of the Pulsar bodies I've been beaten into submission to stop farting around with. (I still blame Kyepan). ;)

Naturally Sandy and Colin as Baz said for bodies; and Sandy can also do DTA from purchase to set up.

Edited by DrSarty

Sandy

The Jenvey "kit" is the expensive way to do it, needlessly so (individual SF/ST bodies), with an inlet manifold that hasn't got enough material in the roof to match it to the port properly. We make a DCOE pattern inlet for Jenvey "TH" bodies, that works out:

All prices inc VAT:

Pair TH bodies fitted with PQ2 quadrant lever £461.15 (PQ2 lever takes a cable and doesn't require the Jenvey linkage kit)

4x 40mm air horns £82.80

Pair TBR22 hose tailed fuel rails £55.20

Jenvey TPS and clamp £61.87 (cheaper alternatives are available)

Jenvey total £661.20 (Most people get a discount on this buying direct or via MEF motorsport!)

Inlet manifold (proper J4 or JP4 flange) and fuel reg housing for OE reg £240

Grand total inc VAT £901.20

Or we also do a special inlet for the GSXR 1000 K1-K4 bodies, that includes necessary improvements to the fuel rail (to accept Pico injectors), a special trumpet design (for my desired pulse tuning, choice of lengths) and improvements to the throttle linkage to extend pedal movement and make it more progressive to drive. That kit built up by Colin using customer supplied GSXR bodies, is (inc VAT) £500. The bodies are usually about £100 on ebay.

There are other direct to head set ups available such as the ATP (available from GMC for about £900, group buys have been done around £820), there was a KMS DTH set up, but I'm not sure it's still on sale. I'm not convinced either of these set ups have the necessary geometry for the best results personally.

The "Chadil" DCOE manifold performs very poorly from the results I've seen, a number of them have been replaced with our DCOE manifold and have independently seen significant improvements.

Management wise, I lean towards DTA, which requires the ECU (£550) and a custom loom (which I make, £300-350 depending on spec). But you should seriously consider where it will be mapped and what system they prefer; but also where else might you take it if you need to later.

Edited by Sandy

kyepan
Throttle bodies (incl Jenveys) seem to be very well priced here although I haven't checked if they do an inlet to suit the TU.

I think I'm going to get a set of Jenveys from them in place of the Pulsar bodies I've been beaten into submission to stop farting around with. (I still blame Kyepan). :ph34r:

Naturally Sandy and Colin as Baz said for bodies; and Sandy can also do DTA from purchase to set up.

i'm sure i explained what sandy and colin said about the port shape being too different to make those pulsar bodies worthwhile. :rolleyes:

welshpug

gixxer bodies FTW dan!

Galifrey
Or we also do a special inlet for the GSXR 1000 K1-K4 bodies, that includes necessary improvements to the fuel rail (to accept Pico injectors), a special trumpet design (for my desired pulse tuning, choice of lengths) and improvements to the throttle linkage to extend pedal movement and make it more progressive to drive. That kit built up by Colin using customer supplied GSXR bodies, is (inc VAT) £500. The bodies are usually about £100 on ebay.

Sandy, don't the K1-K4 bodies have secondary throttles? Do you have them removed (as they were there to correct an issue on the bike). Is the setup direct to head with the trumpets tuned for length of induction or do you use a longer manifold and shorter trumpets?

I am a big fan of Busa/GSXR1k bodies from my kitcar days, and could well go for this setup later on my car.

welshpug

Colin01.JPG

GSX01.JPG

The outer throttle plates are removed and a tapered sleeve fitted that covers the holes and provides the tract shape I want. The trumpets attach to that.

It'll keep the bodies spacing, close enough to the port spacing not to be an issue, better than DCOE on the 8v!

the "kit":

Inlet manifold

TB brackets onto manifold and sealing rings

Revised throttle quadrant

Cable bracket

Injector position revisions

Trumpet sleeve flanges and trumpets

Assembly of customer supplied bodies into the kit

Sandy

Thanks Meirion, that pretty much shows it. That was the prototype set, the trumpet shape and manifold have evolved quite alot since then. You can see the secondary butterflies are removed and our CNC'd trumpets sleeve inside,covering the holes. We can make the trumpets any length and they are threaded on the back to fasten a filter backplate. It's a very comprehensive arrangement!

Galifrey
Thanks Meirion, that pretty much shows it. That was the prototype set, the trumpet shape and manifold have evolved quite alot since then. You can see the secondary butterflies are removed and our CNC'd trumpets sleeve inside,covering the holes. We can make the trumpets any length and they are threaded on the back to fasten a filter backplate. It's a very comprehensive arrangement!

Looks good, nice job!

DrSarty
Looks good, nice job!

Yes. I've just bought another set in place of the Pulsar 'dead end road' set-up. (Going on eBay unless anyone shouts quick :ph34r: )

Batfink
Colin01.JPG

GSX01.JPG

Sandy is that my cars roof? lol

Sandy

Possibly in the second pic (ahem). First pic is sheet.

Brian M

I'd hope you're takin some inspiration from that 106 rallye that was featured in PFC last month. That thing is/was wonderful. All the best.

Baz

That's basically a Cut & Copy from Jenvey's website... pricing included!

Emerald FTW!! (I can do you a great deal on one! wink wink! :))

Sandy
I'd hope you're takin some inspiration from that 106 rallye that was featured in PFC last month. That thing is/was wonderful. All the best.

Kind of was, Simon split the car pretty much after the shoot to raise money for his studies. The rolling shell's new owner already had a Longman engine which he's installed and the engine I built for it had been sold and installed in another 106.

Baz

Is that the blue one?

welshpug

yup

Brian M
Kind of was, Simon split the car pretty much after the shoot to raise money for his studies. The rolling shell's new owner already had a Longman engine which he's installed and the engine I built for it had been sold and installed in another 106.

Ah I didn't realise that it was that quick it was being split. Shame but needs must, glad the shell has a nice new heart and that all your hard work is being used elsewhere now.

Indeed the blue one on SL434's :)

Baz

Don't think the wheels suit it personally, but certainly looked a nice, well built car with alot of time & money spent on it.

The lad's on PH too, that's where i've seen it.

CaptainK

Sandy, are those throttle bodies setup mentioned above (and picture) what I'm gonna be getting on mine soon? They look awesome and I can't wait now. :ph34r:

Sandy

Yours (the XU set up) is similar, but with curved runners.

CaptainK
Yours (the XU set up) is similar, but with curved runners.

... they looks AWESOME :) :) B)