• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NHRS2

1.6 Gti No Spark

NHRS2

Hello

My 1990 1.6 gti wont start, im not getting a spark at the plugs but i am getting a weak spark at the king lead.

ive changed the ignition amp and checked all the wiring, done a continuity test on wires from dizzy to amp and amp to coil(has coil with multiplug on inlet manifold)

when i had the dizzy of i connected a meter to the cable and spun the dizzy shaft, i was getting between 1.5 to 2v ac

when i fit the dizzy to the car and turn the engine over im getting .5v ac

what voltage should i be getting?

i think the amp isnt getting enough voltage

thanks Neil

DrSarty

Is the ignition amp well and truly earthed?

Was it a new ign amp you used and are you sure it's the right part no.?

It might be getting its 12v switched live power fine but not being able to ground.

I know you need the heatsink plate and the ign amp should be mounted to it with heat disapation paste, and IIRC there should be a thick green and yellow wire with a ring terminal on the engine management loom somewhere nearby, which again should have a nice clean/bare metal earth.

I'd also suggest some easy/cheap swaps: king HT lead and rotor arm. I'm guessing the dizzy cap's in good nick and checked?

Edited by DrSarty

Sign in to follow this