• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest PacMan

Replacing Door Pins

Guest PacMan

Is replacing the door pins a big job? I know i need them done for the MOT, so was just wondering if anyone had any tips for getting it done right.

Zoldalma

I tried to do this yesterday, only got 1 replaced, I cannot drive the other one out :lol: but anyway, here are a few topics more helpful than me:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...=ST&f=14&t=9219

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...=ST&f=14&t=7494

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...=ST&f=14&t=7285

Edit: one more: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...t=ST&f=2&t=5278

Edited by Zoldalma

Robbie G

I have the torx screw threaded ones and I did all four door pins and also the two smaller ones. They were pretty cheap from Peugeot. Put a padded jack under the door, unscrew them, then wack em out with a hammer and a centre punch is how I did it. Very easy job assuming the threads are ok and nothing's rusted.

205man

which ones do you have as the early ones are driven in and the later one are screwed in, both are fairly easy to do (as long as they havnet broke off at the thread like one of mine did and had to be drilled out)

your doors must drop alot to fail the mot, i didnt even know they checked them, if they are that bad you may find it could be the hindge, if its those its a bit more tricky as one is bolted to the door but hte other is welded to the car body

alan

Guest PacMan

The car is an 86 1.6 GTi, so i guess its the ones that are driven in?

The door does drop a lot, and it particularly noticable when the door rests against the car without actually being closed. Its only really the drivers door which is bad, but i thought i muight as well do the passenger one as well if its not too big a job.

I'm 90% sure they check them for the MOT, but i could be wrong?

I don't think its the hinges(well i hope not!) as when i rock the door back and forth, i can see the hinge on the shell of the car staying firm and the play is definitely on the door part.

I assume door pins are only available from Peugeot? Any idea how much they are?

Ahl

The pins arent more than a couple of quid each from the pug garage. :lol:

I recommend taking the door off its hinges too. You can get to the bolts through the speaker hole easily enough. It's really hard to get the top pin out without seriously f***ing up your door otherwise.

Zoldalma

I recently got the 2-pin pack for about 4 Euro, from Peugeot.

Guest Antoni1.9

I just changed the door pins on my 205 (87'), and borrowed the tools from a local garage. There is a rod that you pass through the pins, then through a long metal bar, before screwing a small knurled nut on the end.

You then hit the end of the metal bar with lump hammer and it pulls the pin out.

With this tool, the passengers side was easy to change, but I still could'nt shift the drivers side as it was badly worn.

I then borrowed a "Dremel" and with a small grinding stone ground the pin of flush with the hinge, so the "tang" on the pin was removed.

After this, the pins drifted out easily. A little copper grease on the new ones and all OK.

I would say it is nearly impossible to do this without the special tool unless you take the dorr off the car. I didnt want to do this cos of all the wires into the door on the 1.9.

HTH

Antoni

Guest PacMan

eeek! that sounds like bloody nightmare, i thought it was just going to be a case of knocking the old ones out and knocking the new ones in!

• Like 1

Guest PacMan

Well i'm just back from my local Peugeot parts department. After explaining what a door pin was (yes seriously), i watched the guy click his mouse and tap his keyboard for a few minutes before he turned the screen around to me with an exploded view of the door hinges visible. Once i pointed out what a door pin was, he checked the stock and as expected, they didn't have any!

He said he could order me them though which i have done and shouldget them on Wednesday. As for the price.... £2.51 each plus VAT. Total rip-off!

red

F me that's rediculous, just go to a good engineering suppliers and ask for Sallock pins or as they are more commonly known split dowels, a quid over the counter should secure you a few sets I bet, take one with you for sizing.

Regards Rus......

Edited by red

205man

£2.51 what a rip off i dont think i paid that for the pair when i got them from peugeot although mine are the torx type but i wouldnt have thought there would be much difference in price

alan

Guest PacMan
F me that's rediculous, just go to a good engineering suppliers and ask for Sallock pins or as they are more commonly known split dowels, a quid over the counter should secure you a few sets I bet, take one with you for sizing.

Regards Rus......

I can't take them out and take them with me! That would mean leaving a door off, and doing that in my area is like leaving a £50 note on the pavement!

Guest PacMan

Think i'll just bite the bullet and pay the £6 or whatever it comes to... :lol:

red

Regards Rus......

I can't take them out and take them with me! That would mean leaving a door off, and doing that in my area is like leaving a £50 note on the pavement!

Well if your using the car take it to the engineers and measure it up there, or just ask one of the people behind the counter to have a look, they can't be much over 6mm I'd say 8mm max at a guess.....

Regards Russ.....

Guest scrippsie

Hi guys,

My drivers side door makes a huge click as I open it. Does the pin need replacing? The passenger side is fine but I guess this is because it gets less use?

Robbie G

There are three pins on each side on my car. The main reason i replaced them was because of this clicking you were talking about, but also the sagging.

The main source of the clicking was due to a dry worn little pin, the one between the two larger door pins that connects to the door stop mechanism. This improved things no end. Oil and grease them up after you replace them, and you should get no more clicking. If your door doesnt sag, then i'd suggest doing this little one first then the large pins if you need to later.

Guest PacMan

Finally got the pins today, cost me a fiver all in so i guess that wasn't too bad. Just need to fit them now, and i envisage an almighty task which will probably end with leaving a doorless GTi on my drive overnight, lol.

Part number is 904431 in case anyone ever needs to order them.

Guest PacMan

Eeeek! The rain has just come on and my GTi looks like this :

fb5d7c25.jpg

Guest PacMan

Well after fitting the pins to the hinges, i could see that they made no difference at all!!

All was not lost though, i took the pins out again (Grrr!) and then put a washer inbetween the door hinge part, smacked the pins in, hung the door (again!) and hey presto, no more door drop! Although i am soaked right through as the rain never let up. :(

So for anyone else attempting to do this job, just get yourself a few washers and fit them to the hinges rather than for out for new Peugeot doorpins!

Guest Rally205

You will usuallly find that the pins wear a little but the most wear is in the hinge itself. There are two bushes in each hinge and it is these that wear out. They are quite simple to replace.

So do not fit washers in between the hinge halves as you are not curing the problem but just relieving the symptoms ( god I sound like a doctor!! ). You will find that if you fit new hinge pins in badly worn hinges it will wear the pins twice as quickly!!

Guest PacMan

Eh? How do you replace the 'bushes'? In fact, i never came across any bushes on my hinges?

Ahl

Yeah, there aint no bushes in 205 hinges, just a hole in the metal.

My car's done at least 100k, and the hinges looked pretty worn, but replacing the door pins (especially the top one) took all play out it. I was quite surprised.

Guest PacMan

The holes in my hinges (car side), were so worn that the new door pins passed through relatively freely, so i guess the ideal solution would have been to replace them. But since they are welded to the shell, i thought it best just to fit the new pins with use of a small washer to eliminate the dropping door.

In all, i'm pretty happy with the job, even if i did get drenched!

Sign in to follow this