• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dk73

Head Gasket Gone?

dk73

Hi,

Please can someone advise me here,

Ive a 1.9 gti and i think the head gasket has just showing signs of age.

The problem is water is coming from the top of the head in two small areas.

Theres no cream yet in the oil and i think ive got it in time.

So i think its time to change the gasket has failed,

Please can someone advise me and also do i need the head skimming or will it be ok?

As i say ive lost no power but i think i got there in time.

Please can you tell me what i need to fix her ie head bolts etc,

Ps the car has not over heated or anything like that.

Regards dk73.

mattbenselin

obvious signs of water leakage, like orange deposits on the block from the head gasket? or white fluffy stuff? very technical terms there!

DrSarty

Get yourself a 205 Haynes manual, or look in M@tt's signature and download it. ;)

You're looking roughly at £100 spend on 'parts', maybe nearer £130, to include:

* new water pump (some say optional)

* cam belt & tensioner

* oil & filter

* coolant

* head set (including gaskets & bolts)

Naturally you'll need the tools like Torx bits and a torque wrench and/or a friendly chum or two with tools and a little bit of experience.

It's not a hard job really.

Best of luck.

dk73
obvious signs of water leakage, like orange deposits on the block from the head gasket? or white fluffy stuff? very technical terms there!

Yes,

Orange deposits on the block, just had a good look.

Thanks to you and mr.sarty. ;)

mattbenselin

You can find cheaper parts but dont compromise on quality. I always have heads skimmed to ensure they're flat but it's up to you, doesn't cost much to have done which for me always outweighs the risk of re-fitting a warped head.

Matt

dk73
You can find cheaper parts but dont compromise on quality. I always have heads skimmed to ensure they're flat but it's up to you, doesn't cost much to have done which for me always outweighs the risk of re-fitting a warped head.

Matt

Cheers matt,

Your local to me,

Where do you get yours done?

And where do you guys recommend buying parts from?

mattbenselin

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/ try them, or most factors or garages have suppliers and can anything, just ask for brands and have a search on here. Shenpars good and only half hour from you too.

i always do as much my self as i can....having a head skim can be done by and decent garage, about £30ish. if you need help im around just email.

Tom Fenton

I've had an Mi16 that did this- weeping water from the front edge of the gasket, but there was no problem with the compression, and there was no water getting into the cylinders. We ran it like this for 3 years until we got around to sorting it out. It is just the gasket material at the edge that has aged over time. Obviously you need to sort it, but its nothing to worry too much about at the moment.

dk73
I've had an Mi16 that did this- weeping water from the front edge of the gasket, but there was no problem with the compression, and there was no water getting into the cylinders. We ran it like this for 3 years until we got around to sorting it out. It is just the gasket material at the edge that has aged over time. Obviously you need to sort it, but its nothing to worry too much about at the moment.

Hi tom,

Thanks for the advise but she leeks very well.

To put it this way about a ltr for every 25 miles so im not going to risk it.

CALLING ANY GOOD MEMBERS ON HERE THAT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING, PLEASE PM ME AND TELL ME HOW MUCH YOU WILL FIX HER FOR IF I SUPPLY THE PARTS, IM BASED IN TAMWORTH AND YOU WOULD HAVE TO BRING YOUR TOOLS????????????????

DrSarty

I'm sure someone will help, but why not have a pop yourself?

That's why I said right at the start it's not that hard a job.

Go on. Get some chums round and have a good read of the Haynes manual before hand and give it a bash. I think you'll surprise yourself.

Edited by DrSarty

mattbenselin

Everyone had to start somewhere, I just think of all the money I have saved not paying for others labour, not to mention all I've learnt and how proud I am that I BUILT my engine...and it works!

Veero

Yeah another vote for have a go yourself. Just read it through several times before going for it to make sure you know what stages are involved in your own head. I did the valve stem seals on my 1.6 with the head on, took me a whole day and did the cambelt too. I was really nervous doing it myself but take care and all will be fine. Worst happens you get stuck get on here and someone will be able to help out remotely I'm sure.

After you've done your first big job, no other job is too big. I'm with mattbensellin here, I fully rebuilt my own Mi and it works (vaguely - but that's no fault of the rebuild). ;)

dk73
Yeah another vote for have a go yourself. Just read it through several times before going for it to make sure you know what stages are involved in your own head. I did the valve stem seals on my 1.6 with the head on, took me a whole day and did the cambelt too. I was really nervous doing it myself but take care and all will be fine. Worst happens you get stuck get on here and someone will be able to help out remotely I'm sure.

After you've done your first big job, no other job is too big. I'm with mattbensellin here, I fully rebuilt my own Mi and it works (vaguely - but that's no fault of the rebuild). ;)

Thanks guys,

But i think im going to get some1 to do this.

Local man with reciepts to give me when done.

May be add to the history?

boombang

I'd actually say to get yourself a good used head, strip and refurb.

Light skim, grind valves back in, reshim lifters, new stem seals, new cam seals.

Then swap the two over and done.

dk73
I'd actually say to get yourself a good used head, strip and refurb.

Light skim, grind valves back in, reshim lifters, new stem seals, new cam seals.

Then swap the two over and done.

?,

Ok, may be what you got?

boombang

I've got a head here you can have for postage + packing if you want.

Is off a 1.9 that had done low miles.

I can rebuild it for you if you really wanted, but I don't have a lot of time and no idea what my motorfactors would charge for parts. If you really get stuck though, let me know.

dk73

I can rebuild it for you if you really wanted, but I don't have a lot of time and no idea what my motorfactors would charge for parts. If you really get stuck though, let me know.

Do you know what?

Im in the s*it shes a daily drive, so i may be interested?

Pm me my man?

DrSarty

I do hope you get it sorted.

Whilst Alex is helping you in a kind and fantastic gesture, this still leaves you the job (or someone else) of removing the current head and then refitting to include cambelt and possibly water pump too.

The refurbished head is just a bonus on top of what you were already having done, so it doesn't actually make the original job any easier.

Excuse me for pointing out the obvious but this is not actually any form of solution to your head gasket issue.

I suspect labour-wise, if you're going to pay for this to be done, you could be looking at around 4-5 hours plus parts, which means around £300-350. The head from Alex just saves you ~£150 that you weren't going to spend anyway. Just setting your expectations.

This is why suggesting you do it, will cost around £100-£130 AND you benefit from the experience IMO.

boombang

I agree too. Getting head apart, re-shimming cams etc isn't hard but can be a massive faff, hence takes a bit of time.

Head gaskets aren't hard to do, neither is a cambelt on an XU. They don't even take all that long (helped do one in an hour start to finish at rallycross last season!) but it's all about the confidence in what you are doing.

dk73

Im deffo wanting this,

A good 1.9 rebuilt head just a nice refresh is whats its asking.

Thanks for offering mr, boombang,

Just let me know your progress and im all hears.

Sign in to follow this