• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Applying Stonechip

M@tt

On my CTI i'm having to repair the section by the bottom of the B pillar where the corner of the door shuts.  I've therefore had to sand the stonechip on the side/top of the sill around the area back to bare metal.

I've not really sprayed stonechip on before so i'm wondering whether i'm going to need to sand the whole lot off the sill before reapplying it all as i don't want there to be a visible step where i've removed this exisitng stuff

any ideas/experience?

Edited by M@tt

willmounsey

My borther did his subaru's arches with the hammerite stonechip and all he did was clean any dirt/grease etc away from the arches and sprayed the new stuff on and it did the job.

I'd say its like most sealers or others alike, its having a clean surface for it to stick to.

Will

Tom Fenton

You can blend it in, the trick is to build up the area you have cleaned back with a couple of coats first, then blend over onto the old stuff. Forget the aerosol can stuff, its wank, you want Gravitex stuff and a shultz gun to apply it with.

M@tt

i'm not so worried about it sticking its more the aesthetics of replacing the stomechip over that area i had to sand it off.

I dont kow whether its possible

a ) apply stonechip just to the patched area without it sticking out like a sore thumb

b ) apply stonechip all over the sills again but without the sanded bit again looking like a "sunken" section and obvious that its been patched

c ) strip all the rest of the stonechip off and do the sill from bare

> you know me Tom

i have all the gear no idea ;)

Edited by M@tt

Tom Fenton

Before

Photo-0029.jpg

After

Photo-0031-1-1.jpg

willmounsey

With option b, would it work if you stonechipped the sanded area first then went over all to lessen the risk of having a 'sunken' spot if you know what i mean?

I understand where your coming from with the colour match, as you said would stick out a bit.

Will

Tom Fenton

The pictures speak a thousand words. Patch cleaned off, blown in, and you wouldn't know.