• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
phil19gti

Headlight Bulbs

phil19gti

I've only had my 205 for a few weeks and untill last night hadn't been out in it in the dark, anyway my visibilty wasn't very good.

So I was wondering what people recommend when for replacing bulbs? I've had a search and read quite a bit on certain high strength bulbs possibly burning the loom out which I don't want to happen.

Thanks.

phil19gti

Sorry for the triple post!!!

DrSarty
Sorry for the triple post!!!

You can 'close' the other 2 useless threads, bottom left 'forum options', 'close topic', until the mods manage to delete them. This way you'll get your answers in one place.

Ref bulbs:

Firstly I would clean up the earth points at the front, both for the lights and on the gearbox and chassis.

Secondly, there are many Xenon bulbs on eGay and in motorfactors which do a very good job. They're all much of a muchness, but I'd stick with a recognised brand.

Doing this will definitely give you brighter lights, although remember there can be other factors such as filthy lenses and a weak alternator.

Edited by DrSarty

phil19gti
Ref bulbs:

Firstly I would clean up the earth points at the front, both for the lights and on the gearbox and chassis.

Secondly, there are many Xenon bulbs on eGay and in motorfactors which do a very good job. They're all much of a muchness, but I'd stick with a recognised brand.

Doing this will definitely give you brighter lights, although remember there can be other factors such as filthy lenses and a weak alternator.

In terms of what power bulbs to choose, what would you recommend?

DrSarty

Just trawl eGay and you'll see most are just direct replacements, at 55 or 60W only brighter/whiter because of the filament and/or gas used inside. They're only about £10-12 IIRC.

You won't go far wrong, but you really should do the other things I recommended too to get the best out of them.

phil19gti
Just trawl eGay and you'll see most are just direct replacements, at 55 or 60W only brighter/whiter because of the filament and/or gas used inside. They're only about £10-12 IIRC.

You won't go far wrong, but you really should do the other things I recommended too to get the best out of them.

Will do I'll clean up the earth connecors first like you say.

Thanks.

jackherer

No greater than standard or plugs in the fusebox start melting.

skeggyrik

Be careful if you are considering going for higher powered bulbs, you can fry the standard headlight wiring.

There was talk of uprated headlight looms in years gone by to combat this.

As said above, cleaning up the earths does help, I did this on my old 205.

Edited by skeggyrik

Anthony

I've always found that even with standard bulbs, 205 headlights are very good even compared to many modern cars.

Make sure the headlights themselves are in good condition (in particular, check the condition of the reflectors) and that they're aimed correctly - so many 205's I see have headlights mis-aimed and that makes them distinctly ineffective. Also, as mentioned already, make sure that the earths are good and no corrosion on the headlight plug pins - it'll only take a small amount of voltage drop to dramatically reduce the light output from the headlights.

Certainly I'd say that if you feel you desperately need brighter bulbs, then you're either used to something with a decent HID setup, or there's an underlying issue that you'll merely mask with new bulbs.

DrSarty

As Anthony said, but I would say bulb manufacturing technology has moved on somewhat, so if you've got everything else (earths etc) in order, then even these - click - things, which don't cost much will make a significant difference.

I found they did, and there was a thread not that long ago where others said the same. With a good alternator, good earths and wiring, good lenses and reflectors the lights will be good anyway, but throwing these standard wattage (55/60W) types of bulbs in will give you a noticeable improvement.

BTW I use the white NOT the blue (chav) variety.

Edited by DrSarty

phil19gti
As Anthony said, but I would say bulb manufacturing technology has moved on somewhat, so if you've got everything else (earths etc) in order, then even these - click - things, which don't cost much will make a significant difference.

I found they did, and there was a thread not that long ago where others said the same. With a good alternator, good earths and wiring, good lenses and reflectors the lights will be good anyway, but throwing these standard wattage (55/60W) types of bulbs in will give you a noticeable improvement.

BTW I use the white NOT the blue (chav) variety.

I found those ones this morning.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What do you think to the ones in the link above - free sidelights included.

DaveW

get some orsam nightbreakers H4.

Galifrey
get some orsam nightbreakers H4.

Orsam suk, the Osram's are much better

:)

Sorry poor attempt at humour after red wine

;)

damien

could always go for some HID's been running them for 3 years now and never had a problem not even for MOT's

joe1joe

im using hid (well one of the ballasts have packed up which is 20 quid)

and have used them for ages with no prolem with wiring atall, but the pattern on the mot tester isnt very good....

and your are "realy ment to have leveling lights realy"

DaveW
Orsam suk, the Osram's are much better

:)

Sorry poor attempt at humour after red wine

:D

;) i should really look at what i type